Will FTL ever be updated again?

General discussion about the game.
Ace

Will FTL ever be updated again?

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 am

Is FTL a Minecraft-style type of game, where you pay once and the developers promise to update for free,
or is FTL like one of those half-baked games where you pay and then they never update again
unless it's fort a port or a major bug? I was wondering about this, because FTL would get really boring for me fast
if all I could do was beat the same boss over and over again, and in my opinion it wouldn't be worth $15.
robochibi

Re: Will FTL ever be updated again?

Postby robochibi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

Its ten bucks and really worth it imo. Ive already spent more time on this game than ones that I have paid double for. The game is fully completed so they are under no obligation to keep on expanding it just because you want more out of ten dollars, its also completely bug-free (at least ive never encountered one) and thats a really rare thing for an indie project.. hopefully, they will make a sequel and we can have a create-a-ship mode and stuff but who knows..

Also, I forgot to mention that game is completely randomized every time so you never end up having the same experience every time...
CaptainManic

Postby CaptainManic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 am

They updated it last weak to include lines in bwteen beacons as well as more options...and this update came out only after a few weeks this game came out on Steam.
Tamren

Postby Tamren » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:55 am

Give it time. They are currently in post-release crunch mode fixing bugs and other issues.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 am

Ace wrote:Is FTL a Minecraft-style type of game, where you pay once and the developers promise to update for free,
or is FTL like one of those half-baked games where you pay and then they never update again
unless it's fort a port or a major bug?

It's neither of those. It's one of those competently made games where you pay once and then you get a game that works.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
celozzip

Postby celozzip » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 am

Is FTL a typical pc game, where you pay once and the developers promise to update for free,
or is FTL like one of those half-baked games like Minecraft where you pay and then they never update again
unless it's for a port or a major bug and the mod community does most of the actual work for free?
fixed that for you. i would say the devs think they are the first category but may end up being in the second, i'm afraid.
PeterF

Postby PeterF » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 am

celozzip wrote:
Is FTL a typical pc game, where you pay once and the developers promise to update for free,
or is FTL like one of those half-baked games like Minecraft where you pay and then they never update again
unless it's for a port or a major bug and the mod community does most of the actual work for free?
fixed that for you.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just incredibly ignorant. Minecraft gets a content update every couple of months, and since it came out of beta there are weekly development snapshots available.
Kurt

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:50 pm

FTL is a game most competent programmers could replicate (excluding the music) over the course of a weekend. I will certainly grant that the development of the concept and playbalancing take longer than duplicating something. But considering the length of time it took the devs to make FTL, I think we're far more likely to see more expansion to the game come out of the FTL:Overdrive project than any significant content from the devs. I suspect the only official stuff we'll see is incremental... a new race, a new ship, a "hard" mode, etc. FTL:Overdrive will give people to take the core combat engine, which is actually really good, and tie it into a real game scenario.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Kurt wrote:FTL is a game most competent programmers could replicate (excluding the music) over the course of a weekend.

I dare you to do that. You have no idea. :lol:
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Ace wrote:Is FTL a Minecraft-style type of game, where you pay once and the developers promise to update for free,
No, FTL is not a game released as alpha, without all of the promised features implemented.

Ace wrote:or is FTL like one of those half-baked games
No, FTL is not a game released as beta, with major bugs still present.

Ace wrote:never update again unless it's fort a port or a major bug?
o_O Rule number one: If the thing is working, don't f**k with it!
(and FTL is working GREAT!)

Ace wrote:I was wondering about this, because FTL would get really boring for me fast
if all I could do was beat the same boss over and over again,
It seems you're mistaking a game for a movie. Movie is a one-time "surprise me" thing. Game is something you master over long period of time. If honing your skills gets you bored fast, don't play games.
With this attitude I'm recommending you not to buy FTL. Get a cable subscription instead - that'll provide with constant stream of "new".

Ace wrote:and in my opinion it wouldn't be worth $15.
You're being scammed. The game costs $10.

FTL is "just" a fully matured and complete product.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!