Need a middle difficulty

General discussion about the game.
zarakon

Need a middle difficulty

Postby zarakon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Easy is easy enough that I can reliably win 99% of the time. My only actual loss was due to a long string of bad luck (nothing but missile and bomb launchers EVER, ran out of missiles).

Normal can be absolutely brutally hard. I just lost on literally the second fight of sector 1 (Mantis A). I didn't even stand a chance.

It feels like Normal should be called Hard, and there should be another difficulty in between.
Gorlom

Re: Need a middle difficulty

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 pm

zarakon wrote:Easy is easy enough that I can reliably win 99% of the time. My only actual loss was due to a long string of bad luck (nothing but missile and bomb launchers EVER, ran out of missiles).

Normal can be absolutely brutally hard. I just lost on literally the second fight of sector 1 (Mantis A). I didn't even stand a chance.

It feels like Normal should be called Hard, and there should be another difficulty in between.

yet there are enough that feel normal is too easy and are crying out for a "hard" mode! :P
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah, this was suggested on the getsatisfaction page -- having sliders for adjusting scrap rewards, strength of enemies, etc. Personally I'd be happy with a difficulty that had Normal-level rewards but Easy-level ships.
HumbleSloth

Postby HumbleSloth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 am

Derakon wrote:Personally I'd be happy with a difficulty that had Normal-level rewards but Easy-level ships.

I like the sound of that too.
Ethaniel

Postby Ethaniel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 am

Sometimes I just want more scrap. I've fought terrible battles, eating up missiles and cursing boarding drones, just to get 8 scrap. And I won 5 times out of 53, only 1 in normal.
jensk74

Postby jensk74 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am

I really want to second this.

"Normal" feels like a lottery, not like a (mostly skill-based) challenge. The difficulty is all over the place and it taints the victories to know that they were mostly based on pure luck with items and enemy ship configurations, not skill.

I would rather have more options than easier fights though. Like being able to sell missiles/drone parts a bit more often and one or two more slots of hardware at the shops.

Being able to tune those aspects via some settings before starting a game would be perfect.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 am

It's a hard game
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I would like to see a 'custom' difficulty, where you could adjust how hard it was, because it would help many new people, and hopefully shut up the people who say this game is too hard.

I personally wouldn't like a difficulty between easy and normal, I can get to the Final Stand about 60% of times I play on normal, so I wouldn't use the other difficulty even if one was created.

I do like that luck does play a part in these games, but yes, it does determine too much, so maybe they could make it more skill based than just luck.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
AzuredreamsXT

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:27 pm

All this talk of too difficult makes me worry they will make the normal difficulty too easy. I agree there should be a new normal setting that is easier, and they could just rename the current normal to hard.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I think they should make an "impossible" difficulty where you start off with the basic kestrel Type A against the rebel mother ship.

And you need to play this at least 10 times before you unlock easy and normal difficulty. :twisted:

This should teach everyone that "you will die in this game, better learn to enjoy it." ;)