I am soooo ANGRY!!! [Potential Spoilers]

General discussion about the game.
Lilist

I am soooo ANGRY!!! [Potential Spoilers]

Postby Lilist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

So basically I had managed a setup based around the teleporter for the final boss. I had 2 fully levelled mantis combat people who during the first part of the battle beamed on and destroyed all their weapons. From them on easy peasy. Killed all the crew and destroyed the first part of the boss.

I entered the second battle and the crew were still dead. I beamed onto the enemy ship to destroy their drone capability cos that really screws you over in the second battle. Destroyed it all the drones stopped working.

Then SUDDENLY!! woo woo power surge detected and I had a zillion drones obliterating my ship!

Now I've got this far before so I knew that's part of the second battle but seriously, if you've destroyed the enemy drone system that ability should be turned OFF for the enemy boss.

Needless to say I was killed and I am SOOOO ANGRY about it as I've never got past that bit before and I really thought I was going to do it.

Anyway, I felt I needed to get that off my chest. Feel free to discuss but please don't put spoilers in about what happens after as I don't want to know until I manage to do it. If that ever happens :P
Last edited by Lilist on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CommieKazie

Re: I am soooo ANGRY!!!

Postby CommieKazie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Max Engines and Shields: You're nigh untouchable. (Oh and level your people up)
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:02 pm

It would be too easy if you could prevent the special abilities like that. phase 2 and 3 would just be too weak then. :(

wouldn't really be "boss" of the mothership to let you disable its specials.
Lilist

Postby Lilist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Gorlom wrote:It would be too easy if you could prevent the special abilities like that. phase 2 and 3 would just be too weak then. :(

wouldn't really be "boss" of the mothership to let you disable its specials.

True, I think the thing that upset me most is that I made the connection between the drone clusterfuck and the drone systems so when I destroyed them I felt really pleased with myself. To have it happen anyway shattered my sense of pride :P

CommieKazie wrote:Max Engines and Shields: You're nigh untouchable. (Oh and level your people up)

Kk, I'll try that thanks. I'm still a relative n00b :)
EtherDragon

Postby EtherDragon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, now you know that the drone surge is not related to drone control in phase two.

But, it certainly doesn't HURT to destroy that drone control - the difference between winning and losing, even with full shields and engine, might be whether or not those two persistent drones are picking on you during the drone surge.

FYI the third phase is actually pretty easy by comparison...
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm

EDIT: removed phase-3 spoilers. Sorry!

Taking out drone control in phase 2 is still a great idea, since otherwise you have to deal with an Anti-Ship, Beam, and Boarding drone all the time (and your missiles will get shot down by its defense drone). The flagship has a lot of spare drones to throw at you, too, which makes fighting the boarding drones unpleasant. Personally when dealing with phase 2 of the flagship, I immediately set up a defense drone (since they can shoot down the boarding drones before they breach your hull) and send my boarders after the missile launcher (to avoid distracting the defense drone). After that is the flagship's drone system, then their other weapons, then shields. I don't even bother trying to use my normal weapons until my boarding team has done its work.

If you don't have a defense drone, you're probably best off just trying to contain their boarding drone instead of killing it. Assuming it stays away from critical systems, of course. Max-level doors can help here.

A max-rank cloaking system can dodge the entire droneswarm attack if you time it right, but the cloak has such a huge cooldown that you can only do this every other swarm. Still, helpful especially for the first swarm before you've had a change to whittle down the flagship's other offensive options.
Last edited by Derakon on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Hey, please add a [spoilers] tag or something, because this is pretty damn spoily (even from a cursory glance), and the thread title doesn't give a hint about that. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
White Elk

Postby White Elk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Flarbing drones are way OP in relation to everything else. From sector 1 on. Is silly what they can do versus everything else. Runs with the stealth ship highlight this. But ah well thats the game. Big swings one way or another. And i used to like that. But the drones are just way out of whack. Is getting harder to stay motivated to make runs. Am taking long break, will revisit this all later.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm

I like fighting things with drones. They're about the only thing that get me out of autofiring all the ships to death.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Derakon wrote: Spoiling everything

Dude! OP specifically asked you to NOT spoil phase 3....