[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kalen2701

Re: [MOD TOOL][WIP]FTLEdit: An FTL Ship editor

Postby kalen2701 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 pm

ETA on release? I've tried another editor but felt like it looked and was crap. This looks way better.
Darkfrost

Re: [MOD TOOL][WIP]FTLEdit: An FTL Ship editor

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, here you go!

Pretty early build, quite a few things still not working properly :( Can someone give this a test and tell me what works and what doesn't? Thanks!
http://toastedlemons.com/FTLShipEdit.zip

When you open it, hit options and make sure to configure your paths properly!
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
kalen2701

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: An FTL Ship editor NEEDS TESTERS!

Postby kalen2701 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks! I feel inclined to ask, where are the ship "files" or whatever? I have the steam version, assuming that makes a difference.
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 pm

What do you mean by the ship files? :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Some kind of a help file or tooltips are needed. Took me a while to figure out how to make larger rooms (not very intuitive) and I have yet to figure out how to rotate doors.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Pretty nice. Now i have to behave myself not to steal features from you :).

How do i draw vertical doors though? I'm gonna go though my mistakes and check if you did one of them, too.

Found one: on the window where you select the ship to load, if I select "custom file" but then cancel and click on one of the ships in the remaining list, i get a "file not found" exception and the program can't be closed.

Edit:
Found another one: if you try to enter a negative number in any field, there is an unhandled exception. Doesn't crash though.

Edit2:
If you click on "load base" or "load floor" and cancel the openDialog, the program crashes.

Edit3:
The .vhost.exe doesn't die when the tool crashes and can't be killed from the taskmanager
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll be completely honest with you. How do I use this tool? A help file would be immensely useful to me (and others)

So, mind if you give a tutorial for the clueless people?

Thanks.
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Any chance you could post the code to github.com so that we could all collaborate there?

the nice thing about github is that everyone can work on their own features then you can pull them in or ignore them at will
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:41 am

Ah, yeah, instructions, sorry! Knew I forgot something!

1. Open FTLEdit, then open up the options. You need to set up your paths to your data and resources folders.
It should be able to do this automatically - If you don't have ftl dat installed, click the download ftldat button to download the installer, then hit the extract files button. It should extract it all and configure the paths. If the cmd windows that pop up disappear instantly, it should atleast take a few seconds, something probably went wrong (Let me know if this happens)
It should save these options next time you load the program, but if it doesn't, let me know!
Click the load existing ship from the game folder button
Now doubleclick on a ship you want to load
(Or, click the create from scratch button)

Adding rooms:
To add a room, click the add room button, or press F1. Left click to place the room, then right click and drag to resize it.
To move an existing room, just click and drag it.
To delete a room, select it (click on it) and press the DEL key. Doors work the same way

Adding doors:
To add a door, click the add door button, or press F2. Space bar will rotate the door (I'll probably change this to a more intuitive system later).

Moving the bg:
To move the bg, click the move bg button. You can now roughly place the bg using the mouse. Once you click, you're able to fine adjust the position using the arrow keys. Once you have where you want it, press enter or click again.

Other options:
To change the majority of options, and export the ship, click the options button in the bottom right. Here you can change all of the main ship properties, like weapons, augments, drones, systems etc, and export the ship.

-----------------------

That's probably the non-obvious stuff. If there's anything else I've forgotten to clarify, please tell me! I'll add in-editor info soon, just didn't get around to it as I wanted to get the main bugs ironed out first. Thanks for the crash reports so far, and be blunt with criticism, it helps a lot!

------------------------

As for putting it on github - I'm planning to, but I need to tidy up a lot of the code first, as there's a silly amount of things I'm unhappy with at the moment!
Choggomac

Postby Choggomac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 am

Few bugs I've noticed so far, when exporting to .ftl, the augments don't save (at least when using GMM)
I tried with the Kestral Easy and Hard (not sure the difference) and the DA-SR 12. each ship I tried to install the Weapon Pre-Ignitor. On the DA-SR, it also removed the Long Range Scanners that come default.

Ships don't load in the correct position, when viewing your ships in the Hanger, they show up to the top left, I tried to reposition the rooms in the editor down and to the right, and it didn't fix the problem.

While playing, there is a like 20% transparent square box in the background around the ship.

As I am not very good at this stuff, I am limited to testing using export to .ftl