What would happen in this hypothetical boarding fustercluck?

General discussion about the game.
Hanyuu

What would happen in this hypothetical boarding fustercluck?

Postby Hanyuu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 am

I've just started to reach the point where I'm starting to play with boarding, and wondered this:

What would happen in-game if:
a. You teleported all your crew to the enemy ship,
b. You forgot to disable enemy weapons/their weapons came back online,
c. Your teleporter got disabled from enemy fire,
d. AND you managed to wipe out the enemy crew before your ship gets blown up?

Do you get a special "wow, nice job you idiot" game over, just a standard game over, does the game break, or something entirely different? I'm really curious now XD
Drasha

Re: What would happen in this hypothetical boarding fustercl

Postby Drasha » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am

There was a thread about this before once all the enemies crew are dead if you can't teleport back to your ship you get a free shuttle ride back saving you from a lost game.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 am

Drasha wrote:There was a thread about this before once all the enemies crew are dead if you can't teleport back to your ship you get a free shuttle ride back saving you from a lost game.

...Then they all burn to death and your ship explodes. :lol:
Hanyuu

Postby Hanyuu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 am

Drasha wrote:There was a thread about this before once all the enemies crew are dead if you can't teleport back to your ship you get a free shuttle ride back saving you from a lost game.

So where does the shuttle come from? Just a passerby?

It'd be interesting if the game forced you to continue with the captured ship, or you wound up in an event where you have to hack the door open on your own ship and jump from one airlock to the next, or try docking somehow (with horrible odds, of course).
Last edited by Hanyuu on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 am

No idea where it comes from. Maybe they called a space taxi?
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
dnellis74

Postby dnellis74 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 am

Every spaceship probably has a couple of spacesuits that can be used for minor emergency repairs to the outside of the spaceship. They can't be used to board during battle because the space ships are traveling some large fraction of the speed of light, and they can't be used to repair the hull because that requires too much manipulation of large pieces of scrap. However, when not fighting they could easily be used to transfer one crew member back to the original ship.

Heck in 2001 Space Odyssey I think the guy just goes into the vaccum of space briefly. If you can hold your breath for one minute you could probably float a couple of meters from one ship to the next and let yourself in. Maybe that's how they get back.

What I want to know is how the med bay works for all the different space faring races. Maybe everyone carries around some software upgrades with them?
LULZferBAKON

Postby LULZferBAKON » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 am

Hanyuu wrote:

So where does the shuttle come from? Just a passerby?

It'd be interesting if the game forced you to continue with the captured ship, or you wound up in an event where you have to hack the door open on your own ship and jump from one airlock to the next, or try docking somehow (with horrible odds, of course).

I believe it is simply a small shuttle off of the enemy ship.
KirksEchoingScream

Postby KirksEchoingScream » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 am

The ships have unseen rooms. For example, it's mentioned in some quests that you have a cargo bay that isn't shown.

So it's totally possible there's an "off camera" shuttle bay. You just don't want to be flying around in a slow defenseless shuttle with no shields during a firefight, which is why you need a teleporter to board enemies.
Rivers

Postby Rivers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 am

Wouldnt it be the shuttle that you use in some events where you send your team to a planet/colony to try and help them with some issue.

Or does it say in the event you teleported down to the planet?
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 am

Rivers wrote:Wouldnt it be the shuttle that you use in some events where you send your team to a planet/colony to try and help them with some issue.

Or does it say in the event you teleported down to the planet?
You're right. All ships come with shuttles. Teleporter is usually the blue option.

Like sea-faring ships - they all carry lifeboats, but they're simply useless in battle. It's still imaginable that one could board empty USS Nimitz with a lifeboat, but that's not a valid tactic in battle.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!