Ship Naming Scheme

General discussion about the game.
ApSciMorgs

Ship Naming Scheme

Postby ApSciMorgs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am

Alright, folks. This one's simple. What's the naming scheme for your personal fleet of ships? Do you use any prefixes (e.g. SSV, MSV, USS, so on)? Where do you like to get your names from? Tell us all the things.

For me, personally, I like to go with the FSV (meaning 'Federation Space Vehicle') prefix, folllowed by a name that I've generally picked from Stargate or some other Sci-fi thing. For example, my favourite playthrough of all time ocurred on the FSV Daedalus, named after the USS Daedalus from Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. Another of my good ones would have to be FSV Normandy, named after the SSV Normandy from Mass Effect. The one that I'm trying to use to unlock the secret ship is called the FSV Bulwark, after the name of the ship model I'm playing in (Rock Cruiser Type A, AKA the Bulwark). I'm pretty sure there was an SSV McKay (named after Doctor Rodney McKay from Stargate SG-1/Atlantis) in there at some point...
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
AngleWyrm

Re: Ship Naming Scheme

Postby AngleWyrm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

My first ship in any space game is the Foregone Conclusion

Other ships in my 4x fleets:
Miner's Daughter
Sinner's Pride
Heaven's Bounty
Hathaway
Starlight Exports

If a game offers role variety for ships, I'll sometimes use prefixes to differentiate one from another. But most games don't, they just have predefined hull-specific roles. I consider that a failing on the developer's part, where the dev is basically playing the game instead of the player.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 pm

I tend to look at the color or shape of a ship (unless it's Federation or Rebel) and name it accordingly. I named the Mantis ship type B Cobalt for example. I named the Rock ship Aegis because it looks like a bronze shield to me. With Federation ships (or Kestrel type B) I just name is some random verb like Defiant.
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm

My most common ship name is "The Rickroller", with the starting crew named after my favourite youtube people (John as the captain, Dan on sheilds and Pat manning weapons). If I'm streaming, I usually do something like "USS Redshirts" and name my crew after people watching.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I usually go for "Far Star", and if you get the reference you probably can guess the names of the crew.