What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Zauron

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby Zauron » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:24 am

Char;y wrote:
Zauron wrote:The Burst Laser Mk II is one of the best weapons in the game.....Second choice would be the Federation Cruiser (either one, differences seem pretty negligible)

I think the second Fed Cruiser is nowhere near as good.

As you rightly pointed out the Burst2 is the best gun in the game, and the Fed ship starts with one, making it superior (in my book). Add a second burst two, and you can be comfortable against any other ship for the rest of the game, until you reach the flagship. If you can find 4, then you you may just the most awesome thing in existence. And thats before you take into account the Arty beam.

In fact, I am not clear as to why anyone woud favour the Starting ship over the Fed ship. The Fed ship even gives you a four man crew, including a great engineer, and a mantis and rock, so you have the option to go for a boarding strategy early.

I find the type A and B of this particular ship to be much more similar in feel than most other ships in the game. You make a good point about the burst laser, but type B comes with level 2 in the arty beam already, a missile launcher, more starting power in the reactor, and a slug crewman (rarest besides crystal and useful for both events and nebulas) and zoltan (giving more versatility to power usage, and in my experience also more rare than rocks and mantii). Dual Lasers are also a great weapon giving you 2 shots for only 1 power, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the ONLY way to get it is by starting with it. The dual lasers are great in a low-power pinch like in an ion storm and if you do find a Burst Laser Mk2 you have 5 shots for only 3 power with more ability to adapt to losing power or weapons system damage. I also like type B's layout slightly better for venting and boarder defense, except for having a 2-slot medbay sucks. This is, as you point out, all countered pretty nicely by starting with a Burst Laser Mk2 out of the gate, hence why I say they are very similar especially compared to the dramatic differences between types A and B of other ships.

As for comparison to the starting ships - first, I prefer the Kestrel's layout. I find it easier to defend and keep repaired, vent fires, etc. Second, the Fed Cruiser can't install the Stealth system (arty beam takes up the stealth slot on the upgrade screen), which is super helpful against the big attacks from the final boss, and the kestrel can.

I also acknowledge that Kestrel-B is mostly a better-equipped ship than A, with a somewhat superior layout and better crew, but I find myself annoyed having to aim 4 weapons each time to get a full volley, and later when more weapons come along I have to debate which ones to swap out and if I should keep the lasers around, etc, whereas with type A I have great weapons that take less effort to use and at least 2 more weapon slots I can fill with whatever I want before I need to worry about swapping anything out.

As I said before though, I'm certain my preference is in the minority, and may change when I try out more ships.
Taron Millet
Game Director & Programmer for Crazy Viking Studios
Bob the Engi

Postby Bob the Engi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:23 am

I'm split between 3(4?) ships, actually. The Fed A definately. I always prefered a turtling strategy and ship-to-ship combat, and the artillery beam supplements greatly. Consequently, the Zoltan A and B cruisers are also fall under the category, with their Zoltan shields and starting beam weapons. I just got the Rock Cruiser, but I haven't taken it out for a spin yet.
As for the Red-Tail, I haven't unlocked it yet.
Some of these ships go good with ship-to-ship combat, so you boarders wont ike it.
Team 9

Postby Team 9 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 pm

mine has to be the osprey,the artillery laser was a life saver on many occasions
Valce

Postby Valce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 pm

I just had my first game with the Rock B aka "Shivan".

I think it's the best ship in the game by far.

It's incredibly hard to fail and you only need to find 2 things to succeed:
- either one/two laser weapons for a total of 3 combined shots (for example: one Burst Laser II) or a couple of Ion Is to erode Zoltan/Flagship 3's Super Shield AND to fight any ship from Sector 1 to Sector 7 without using Missiles
- A Crew Teleporter (which is extremely common)

Optional:
- Either Stealth or Drone Control with 1/2 Defense I (both options are extremely common)

You'll almost surely come across all of these things in any run. You don't need any particular Augmentations, crew members or anything either.

In my last run I had a Burst Laser II and Stealth and that was enough to win the game.
I went from sector 1 to 7 by using my Burst Laser II + Heavy Pierce and I amassed a huge amount of missiles.
I went to the boss, ported people in the weapon bays, destroyed all of them and then I set his whole ship on fire.
This is what I did for all 3 phases. All of the Flagship's crew died in the first encounter but that doesn't matter: even when it becomes AI-controlled, it doesn't repair as fast as fire can destroy its systems.

P.S. combining the damage from all 3 fights, I took a total of 4 (four).
Iselia

Postby Iselia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Am I the only one who really loves the Crystal Ship? o_o

I think it makes the early game super easy. Both starting weapons have shield piercing which is really nice until you start running into 3 shield ships. I always pick up a teleporter early because Crystalmen rock for boarding. It's like "Oh that's a nice medbay you have there. Too bad you're stuck in this room with me." Lockdown makes boarding so easy.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Iselia wrote:Am I the only one who really loves the Crystal Ship? o_o

I still don't have it. :(

I am currently in love with the rock ship. I think it's my favorite looking now.
GDK

Postby GDK » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 pm

I love the rock cruiser A, i was able to beat the game two times with it, and i always was faithful to the use of missile.

I love the fact that you have to plan your missile use to have enough through the game (i beat the flagship with 0 missile left the first time).
Besides just buy a teleporter and you can board easily since you have an all rock crew.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm a big fan of boarding, but I was wary of approaching The Basilisk (mantis B) because of the lack of weapons. The big con of not having any weapon seemed unsurpassable. Then as soon as I had 4 mantises on board and a single artemis missile launcher, things started going crazy... this is ship is super fun... Unless you meet an AI weapon early on. Then your only chance is run.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Iselia wrote:Am I the only one who really loves the Crystal Ship? o_o

I think it makes the early game super easy. Both starting weapons have shield piercing which is really nice until you start running into 3 shield ships. I always pick up a teleporter early because Crystalmen rock for boarding. It's like "Oh that's a nice medbay you have there. Too bad you're stuck in this room with me." Lockdown makes boarding so easy.

See, I'm not really the biggest fan of crystal weapons. True, it lets you completely troll through the early game, but late game they have the disadvantage of basically being beam weaponry that can be shot down by Defense I drone. On my first Crystal game, I found the teleporter to the Crystal Homeworld again and loaded up on Crystal weapons. The second phase of the boss tore me to pieces because the drones shot everything down.

Edit: Guess I should mention my favorite ship.

Honestly, I think I'm going to go with the Mantis B. It has some problems early on (Drones take forever and Zoltans you have to run from), but it'll wreck as soon as you find a weapon. Other than that, I'll say Kestrel B is quite fun. I always feel like an X-Wing when using it. I eventually upgraded it to use 4 heavy lasers to keep the same feel and...it didn't really work out. Turns out four powerful single shot lasers do nothing against shields.
GDK

Postby GDK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:59 pm

In my last post i mentioned the rock A being my favourite.

It still stands, but i'm quite impressed with the genius of slug B.

A boarding ship without mantises, and without medbay is quite a ballsy bet.
I also like both slug cruisers playstyle (crew killing with or without boarding).