What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Stadtpark

What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby Stadtpark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm

After explaining why I like the Zoltan A so much ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3075&p=15130#p15130 ) I thought: let's hear someone else praise their favourite ship!

What ship do you like best? What are its advantages?
Last edited by Stadtpark on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheKillerNacho

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby TheKillerNacho » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm

The ships I find myself playing with and enjoying most are the Krestel-B, Federation Crusier (A or B makes no difference), and the Zoltan-B.

I unlocked the Krestel-B in my second playthrough and found it extremely fun with four starting lasers. Plus I like the paint-job. Aside from that its pretty standard.

The Federation Cruiser has an advantage no other ship can have: its artillery beam (although it sacrifices it for stealth, I believe). The beam is extremely powerful once it is completely upgraded, and makes the final boss very easy since its an easy way to pierce its four shields. Plus, its well-rounded from the get-go with crew & systems. I think I have around a 75% rate of Victories while using it.

The Zoltan-B starts with Zoltan Shields, three Zoltan crew members, two Ion Blasts, and a Pike Beam, which is completely overpowered. What else needs to be said?
Zauron

Postby Zauron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm probably in the minority but so far the Kestrel-A is my favourite ship and the only one I've beaten the game with (though I only ever play on Normal, never tried Easy yet). In most games I tend to like the "well balanced" characters the most, so I guess this makes sense.

The Burst Laser Mk II is one of the best weapons in the game, and combining it with a standard missile launcher means that even your default loadout is enough to get past shields and take out enemies throughout the game (unlike many other ships that are required to upgrade to a different set of weapons by the time they get to enemies with 2 or 3 shields).

Its got a decently good door configuration for venting, a fairly sensible and economic room layout, and can easily adapt to whatever augmentations, weapons, crew, etc. you happen to run across as its not as dependent on a single special feature or tactic to succeed. It may be boring but it gets the job done.

Second choice would be the Federation Cruiser (either one, differences seem pretty negligible) - that artillery beam means you can decide to just focus purely on defense and be fine since it bypasses both shields and evasion chance.

However I have not unlocked every ship yet so opinion may change. Still missing Stealth-B, Rock-B, both Mantis, both Slug, and the secret ship.
Taron Millet
Game Director & Programmer for Crazy Viking Studios
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:14 am

Do mod ships count? If they do I have to say the Obsidian Cruiser. If not, then I like Federation Cruiser A. It has a diverse crew which grants you some blue options in events right off the bat, and it has a Burst Laser II. Not to mention the artillery beam, which, when fully upgraded, is truly a force to be feared.
seacows

Postby seacows » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 am

Fed Cruiser A, mostly because it comes with the super-powerful artillery beam AND the burst laser mark 2
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 am

Engi A. It's one of the easiest starters, and the 3 drone slots is quite nice in the long run too. The fact that you start with an ion blaster 2 is great, it combos nicely with pretty much everything. My first win was with Engi A, cloak, ions blaster 2, 3 attack drones and a glaive beam, boss never stood a chance.

After that...

Probably Zoltan B. It needs some more(non-zoltan) crew pretty badly, but the zoltan shield is a wonderful perk this ship provides, and I like the layout better than A.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:06 am

I like Slug A most, you start with super weapons AND the bio beam which lets you capture ships from the first fight without much risk. I had my best scores with it. Slug B is kinda fun,too, but after the S2 the uniqueness wears off, and its just another ship.
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:32 am

Fed Cruiser A. Because Artillery Beams. And it looks like the Daedalus (from Stargate: Atlantis) so I can name my Fed Cruisers after ships from Stargate.
Seriously, that thing is godlike.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
Harlequin78

Postby Harlequin78 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Current favorite is the b type stealth cruiser... I know it, it kinds sucks early on, but I just love the glave beam and the challenge :) and I think because I got a pre igniter by chance on sector 2 that kinda helped me fall I love with it :D most fun you can have with your clothes on - pre igniter + glave + ion bomb ahhhh fun times were had... Until we to jump in an asteroid field and fight a zoltan...
Char;y

Postby Char;y » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Zauron wrote:The Burst Laser Mk II is one of the best weapons in the game.....Second choice would be the Federation Cruiser (either one, differences seem pretty negligible)

I think the second Fed Cruiser is nowhere near as good.

As you rightly pointed out the Burst2 is the best gun in the game, and the Fed ship starts with one, making it superior (in my book). Add a second burst two, and you can be comfortable against any other ship for the rest of the game, until you reach the flagship. If you can find 4, then you you may just the most awesome thing in existence. And thats before you take into account the Arty beam.

In fact, I am not clear as to why anyone woud favour the Starting ship over the Fed ship. The Fed ship even gives you a four man crew, including a great engineer, and a mantis and rock, so you have the option to go for a boarding strategy early.