The mantis ship that runs away

General discussion about the game.
zarakon

The mantis ship that runs away

Postby zarakon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:27 am

In a mantis controlled sector, there was a mantis ship that jumped away ridiculously quickly. Normally there's plenty of time to take down the engines, but I didn't even get a single shot off with a 10 second weapon (with level 2 crew and two automated preloaders, probably about 5 seconds) before it jumped away with my two favorite boarding Rocks.

It gave an option to pursue it, so I chose that and got a quest marker, so this was obviously a special event..

I beat the ship that I found in the quest, but my missing crew was nowhere to be seen :(

I think if you're able to track down and beat this ship, you should be able to get back the crew that they took.
Whale Cancer

Re: The mantis ship that runs away

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 am

I hate to break it to you... but when the mantis ship arrived at the next beacon, they slaughtered your crewman and used their bodies as doorstops.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 am

Or they adorned the ship with Rock body parts.
Jiks

Postby Jiks » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 am

My policy is that if I get messages saying the ship isn't looking for a fight/is trying to run away/remembered they left a bath running I do not board, period.

The risk of this sort of shenanigans is just "too damn high" as they say on the internet.
boran_blok

Postby boran_blok » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am

well, I disable engines then place my boarders there. As mentioned being in the cockpit does not prevent the enemy from jumping away, but I never had an enemy jump away when I was fighting his repairers in the engine compartment.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm

boran_blok wrote:well, I disable engines then place my boarders there. As mentioned being in the cockpit does not prevent the enemy from jumping away, but I never had an enemy jump away when I was fighting his repairers in the engine compartment.

This does work, but one word of warning - make sure that they can't ever repair even a *single* bar of the engine - it needs to be red, not orange. With even a single bar in the engine room, the ship can still escape.

However, if you can get their engine (or pilot's) room red, then any boarders in the room will fight any would-be repairers and prevent them from fixing it enough to escape.