[MOD] Turning The Tide v1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

[MOD] Turning The Tide v1.0

Postby Kieve » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 am

They've chased you from one sector to the next, always hard on your exhaust. They've taken world after world, conquering everything in their path. The Federation trusted you with intel that could bring the Rebel war machine to a halt.

But you're through running. You've marshaled your strength, armed yourself well, and gathered loyal crew to your side. It's time to turn the tide of battle...

This mod alters your encounters with the Rebel Fleet to increase the risk / reward factor, giving you the option to bring their advance in a sector to a screeching halt - or die horribly in the face of overwhelming odds!
Download (Current Version: 1.0)
Mediafire | Dropbox
(Install with GMM here)

Note:
Until such time as it's possible to call mutiple ship encounters on a jump node, I'm calling this mod done. Some of my plans simply aren't possible at this time and have been put in cold storage for now. This does mean the rewards slant in the player's favor somewhat, but I've done what I can to balance that out.
Special thanks to:
SlowerThanLight for giving me the inspiration with his "Hold the Line" mod.
Alblaka for the guide on "X-dependant events" - took me a few tries to get that one right.
Zaffre for some of the Event suggestions.

As always, comments and constructive feedback are welcome!
Last edited by Kieve on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Turning The Tide v0.9

Postby Kieve » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Hate to bump but I could really use feedback and suggestions on this one. :?
boran_blok

Postby boran_blok » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Sorry, not playing any mods until I have unlocked all ships and gotten at least one win on Normal.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I really like this idea! I'll give it a try soon if I can.

Gives you something to do with your super pimped-out ship if you want to joy-ride in it a bit longer instead of rushing to fight the boss. :)
Is the destroyer going to be tougher than the "flagship" or about on par with it?
( honestly the toughest enemies in the game are auto-scouts you sometimes meet in the last sector...they can come with 4 top-tier weapons, sometimes all missile/bomb launchers, that require more than the usual max of 8 weapon energy and can have 5 shield bars...that plus being automated and thus mostly immune to boarding can make them a nightmare even for a well equipped and fully upgraded player ship )
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Kestral B wrote:I really like this idea! I'll give it a try soon if I can.

Gives you something to do with your super pimped-out ship if you want to joy-ride in it a bit longer instead of rushing to fight the boss. :)
Is the destroyer going to be tougher than the "flagship" or about on par with it?
( honestly the toughest enemies in the game are auto-scouts you sometimes meet in the last sector...they can come with 4 top-tier weapons, sometimes all missile/bomb launchers, that require more than the usual max of 8 weapon energy and can have 5 shield bars...that plus being automated and thus mostly immune to boarding can make them a nightmare even for a well equipped and fully upgraded player ship )

I don't want to say it'll be "tougher" since that would be kinda backwards. However, I'd say at least on par. Heavy weaponry tending towards missiles and bombs, drones (offense or defense, not sure yet, maybe a mix), plenty of shielding, and likely a boarding crew.
The idea is either "Oh god I have to get away, I don't wanna mess with this thing" (and by the time you're done fighting a "REBEL_LONG" your FTL is usually charged up), or if you manage to bring down a Destroyer it'll throw the fleet into disarray for a while, buy you several jumps worth of time in that sector, and net you a significant bounty for bringing it down. I plan on making it a "new" ship, but since it'll just be cobbled together from existing Rebel ship sprites, shouldn't be tough to do. Trying to match the style of some of the bigger "fleet" ships you see hanging in the background.
Hasp

Postby Hasp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Sounds promising. I'll give it a try once I've unlocked everything ;P
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Testing last night shows this current build is way too profitable, particularly with a cloak and or teleport.
So if you've downloaded this version, enjoy it while you can because current rewards are getting severely nerfed and the rebels really are out to pound you into spacedust. :twisted:
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Have you considered using the Red Tail sprite for the destroyer?

Was always confused as to why it was painted rebel orange, wouldn't mind blowing it up.

Edit: Maybe give it rebel style sleek engines.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:12 am

Whale Cancer wrote:Have you considered using the Red Tail sprite for the destroyer?

Was always confused as to why it was painted rebel orange, wouldn't mind blowing it up.

Edit: Maybe give it rebel style sleek engines.

Nah, won't be a Red Tail. I'm trying to make a best-guess sprite based on the fleet background models, which means a lot of hacking, copying, pasting, and general screwing around with the Flagship, Long, and Fat rebel ships.
For testing purposes though, I wanted to see if it was even possible to add a new ship (I figured it was, glad to see I was right!)
This tutorial may take a while...

Things to note:
No, it won't be red. I repainted a Rebel_Long just to make sure that new sprites could be added without trouble. It's not replacing anything.
Too much HP. Your ship gets 30, so I gave it 45. After review, I see the BOSS ship only has 20-22 (depending on phase). So 45 is... pretty ridiculous.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:39 am

Destroyer has more health and weapons than your ship.

RUN.