[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
thebreadcat

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby thebreadcat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Vaughner wrote:So I just pulled the repo to take a look and see it's in C#? How is that going to work for those of us with Mac's or with Linux?

http://www.mono-project.com/ maybe?
thomasfn

Postby thomasfn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Mono is something I will be looking into further down the line. SFML 2 seems to be compatible but there may be problems with LuaInterface, so I might switch to a mono friendly Lua system.

Oh yea and for those who haven't realised yet the project is open source now, link is in the OP.
swixel

Postby swixel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:11 pm

thomasfn wrote:Mono is something I will be looking into further down the line. SFML 2 seems to be compatible but there may be problems with LuaInterface, so I might switch to a mono friendly Lua system.

Use C# libraries and interfaces for scripting if you're using C#. Otherwise write it in C++ and embed Lua.

Either way, good luck, this is probably a lot faster (but more annoying) than detouring the binary!

As long as you don't use XNA stuff you should be fine; Mono's up to date for most of the fiddly bits.
marksteele

Postby marksteele » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:09 am

can't wait to see how this turns out. Best of luck to you, I will be following this project closely.
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 am

I really hope this works out, that way we will be able to have unlimited possibilities with modding instead of the hard-coded restrictions we have right now.
Can't wait for this to work.
Malamo999

Postby Malamo999 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Wow. This is such an ambitious idea, yet makes total sense. And as an end-user who likes trying mods yet is absolutely rubbish at making them, this is greatly appreciated. XD

Will you be supporting 1080p for a resolution then and will this project change any of the regular gameplay aside from adding what you've mentioned (better mod support and a few other miscellaneous revisions)?

Additionally, will this affect the UI at all aside from the settings menu? Like for adding additional ships as an example - will people have to modify it themselves or will it be a togglable option, or...? Just wondering.

Thanks! :)

Oh, and first post. Yay. :P Good luck!
celozzip

Postby celozzip » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:16 pm

maybe i'm misunderstanding but wouldn't you be better off just making your own game from scratch? taking the assets and throwing out all the code to rewrite it yourself seems like a slap in the face to the devs. the one who wrote the code anyways..
thomasfn

Postby thomasfn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm

It's not like I'm stealing the assets and trying to make a profit off a clone or something, the idea is to provide modders a means to add new content to the game (which I'm sure most people here will agree is a good thing) and to allow players to play said content. The devs don't lose out on anything, since the end user still has to have bought the game in order to use Overdrive (and the prospect of modding and lots of community added content might bring in more players so it's a win-win situation!). As I mentioned, if the devs don't like it, I will close the project.
Surfpup

Postby Surfpup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 pm

I think it's a nice idea, but the game has been out for less than 2 weeks. What if the devs suddenly decide that they do want to implement better modding support? I would at least wait a month or two before doing something as ambitious as rewriting the game from scratch. Although I'm sure the process of developing this will be a fun learning process.
father_walker

Postby father_walker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Surfpup wrote:I think it's a nice idea, but the game has been out for less than 2 weeks. What if the devs suddenly decide that they do want to implement better modding support? I would at least wait a month or two before doing something as ambitious as rewriting the game from scratch. Although I'm sure the process of developing this will be a fun learning process.

Yeah, good point. As much as I'd love to see Overdrive finished, I think that you've set the bar pretty high for yourself. I think it's much more probable that we'll see some official modding support before this project is finished (if ever).