Android Port

General discussion about the game.
mechromancer

Re: Android Port

Postby mechromancer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello. I just registered to voice my support for an Android tablet port as well. The interface for this game lends itself well for a touch port (with some tweaks to emulate left vs right clicking).

I bought the game on Steam yesterday and would love it even more if I could play on a Nexus 7.

Thanks!
AyaNeko

Postby AyaNeko » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I would like to see an android port of this game too, it would be neat to be able to play it on a portable device
maniacpsycho

Postby maniacpsycho » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:18 pm

i'm currently playing FTL on my galaxy s2 using splashtop desktop remote, little tricky at first but it works
davzing

Postby davzing » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I just registered also to voice that this should be ported to Android. There is a lot of money to be made in that market! :mrgreen:
Also, this game would probably be MORE enjoyable on my tablet(Nexus 7)!
Pfhoenix

Postby Pfhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Even though I posted in another thread (my bad, guys), I wanted to add here that I would pay cash money both for a Kickstarter to help encourage an Android port and for the game itself when it out. FTL is an absolute gem of a game; it deserves an ever-widening audience.

I'm a programmer in my spare time (much professional and amateur work in game design and software development). I'd happily talk about assisting in a port!
an_engi

Postby an_engi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am

I noted in another thread that Devs "have their hand full" with Windows, Mac OS and Linux but still, I'd like to say that I'd happily pay for another copy of the game in order to play it on my Android tablet. I appreciate the game is being maintained on 3 platforms already, however this would sell like hotcakes and be extremely well suited to Android/tablet/smartphones. So if the devs are looking for a growth area, they should start there! :)
wayward

Postby wayward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 am

I would say that it isn't about the devs "having their hands full". They have released a highly polished product, with only some very minor bugs still visible in 1.01 (e.g. when renaming a crew member, edit box can overflow for really long names such as 'wwwwwwwwwwww' -- that kind of stuff). The game is tight and maintaining it now should be pretty much on autopilot. Rather, the problem here is that the game's graphical resources aren't scalable, everything is hand-drawn for 1280x720. Phones neither have that kind of resolution -- meaning that a complete new set of graphic resources need to be created in order to support different screen sizes -- neither will the touchscreen interface allow for the kind of precise micro-management one needs in the more intense encounters in space. Porting FTL to touchscreen devices is therefore much more of a design issue than anything else; game engine, events, probabilities, etc. can be ported easily, but those things are just the skeleton. The guys behind FTL are simply showing good business sense in not jumping headlong into developing for a whole new platform with a totally different set of input/output methods. They might do it if they decide it's going to be worth their time, but in essence that would mean developing at least 1/2 of the game from scratch, if not more.
wayward

Postby wayward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 am

Personally, I would love to see the Android version, if only a text-based game, as that would give me something to do during the 2h+ meetings at work. :) But I am more excited about the possibilities for expansions or even FTL 2.
beetnemesis

Postby beetnemesis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 am

This really is a perfect game for a tablet.
infohippie

Postby infohippie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 am

beetnemesis wrote:This really is a perfect game for a tablet.

I too would love to see an Android port, that would be a perfect platform for it. Left clicks could work as normal, right clicks would be long presses, all it would need changed is a pause button to be added to the interface, since we do nto have a space bar available.

I would hope it is not restricted to tablets only, though. My phone's resolution is 1280x720 and it would be perfect to play FTL on.