Best Weapon Combos

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
the Scientist

Re: Best Weapom Combos

Postby the Scientist » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 am

Kaerius wrote:
Mauzel wrote:1x Ion Blast II require 3 shots to chew thru a 2 shield ship, and cannot do anything about 3 shield ships

See, this is where you're wrong. An Ion Blast II can chew through any amount of shields, as long as it doesn't miss(and at max crew skill, as long as it doesn't miss twice in a row). Each hit resets the timer, as well as adding another point of ion damage.

but still, you need 5 consecutive hits for lvl3 shield before you can do anything, which is 20 seconds. with upgrades and gunner skill its a little less but still, 2 lasers will have similar power, but be charged in almost hlaf the time (depending on your lasers)
icepick

Postby icepick » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:49 pm

My favorite setup by far is an ion bomb and as much pew-pew as I can muster. (even if it's just three burst 1's).
Chanfan

Postby Chanfan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I am by no means overly experienced, but I did just enjoy a finishing run with an Engi cruiser. It eventually was outfitted with 2x Ion Blast II and 1 x Ion Blast 1, Plus drones (2x Attack and 1x Def).

My normal mode of operation was to Ion blast the weapons (and drone control, if any). Normal firing cycles with a trained up crew member took out the shields and kept the systems inoperable. Depending on the situation, I'd either just switch one up to the Oxygen Gen, or send over drones and wait until they hit important systems, then disable the drones. I'd finish up by switching the other Ion over to the medical bay, to prevent the asphyxiating crew from healing. Once I had picked up the second Ion Blast II, I was able to capture about 50-60% or more of my opponents intact.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Ion Bomb plus just about anything, because Ion Bomb is crazy overpowered. Only 1 energy cost, and 2 hits in a row will disable 4 shields? Yes, please!

I was actually going to say that Burst Mk3 + Glaive Beam was one of my strongest combos, funny that you didn't like it. Charge times don't matter as much when you have a level 3 cloaking device. This combo got me my highest score by a lot. Though I suppose having a pair of Mk2s instead of the Mk3 would be better.

Fire Bombs plus a boarding party of Rock men is highly effective and great fun.
Char;y

Postby Char;y » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

zarakon wrote:I was actually going to say that Burst Mk3 + Glaive Beam was one of my strongest combos, funny that you didn't like it. Charge times don't matter as much when you have a level 3 cloaking device. This combo got me my highest score by a lot. Though I suppose having a pair of Mk2s instead of the Mk3 would be better.

I gues I did not have a cloak. My tactics tend to be strike fast at the weapons systems. If you are waiting too long you are vunerable to rocket attacks in the mean time, and one of those can totally disrupt your attacks. Also, a level 4 shield is difficult to crack, even with a mk3, as one or two tend to miss, meaning the shields are still up for the glaive. I guess its difficult to practice when you get these big toys late game.
zarakon

Re: Best Weapon Combos

Postby zarakon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Try Stealth B, you start with a Glaive and cloak :)
icepick

Postby icepick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Char;y wrote:even with a mk3, as one or two tend to miss, meaning the shields are still up for the glaive. I guess its difficult to practice when you get these big toys late game.

Ah but even with one or two shields up you are still GARUNTEED damage. Which is why the glaive is awesome.

All of this is subject to preference though.
Eji1700

Postby Eji1700 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Anything that lets you kill the medbay+crew.
MSCowboy

Postby MSCowboy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 am

The loadout that finally allowed me to win was Burst Laser II x3, Pike beam. 9 shots per salvo ate absolutely everything alive.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 am

zarakon wrote:Ion Bomb plus just about anything, because Ion Bomb is crazy overpowered. Only 1 energy cost, and 2 hits in a row will disable 4 shields? Yes, please!

Ya know, the ion effect only lasts for 5 seconds, but the timer restarts if hit by another ion effect, which is why ion blaster 2 can chew through unlimited amount of shields. Ion Bomb is just waaaaaaaaay too slow to refresh its own effect, it will wear out, so the only way you can disable 4 shields with it is if you have two ion bombs.