Create-a-Cruiser ship sprite sheets (minor spoilers)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ShadowDragon8685

Re: Create-a-Kestrel Ship Design Tool

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 pm

TheAzryte wrote:Hate to break it to ya, but that medbay isn't comnected to anything, so neither is your lifesupport, LEARN FROM THE FOOLISH SLUG INTERCEPTOR DESIGN! Make doors into your your life support! Wake up people! Other then that, pretty good! Hope a real in-game editor comes up so I can make a custom fed cruiser

I hate to break it to ya, but you ran off at the mouth there, pal.

Take another look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... 896fb8.png

There's very clearly a pair of doors between the medbay and the teleporter room, so... :?:
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 pm

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
TheAzryte wrote:Hate to break it to ya, but that medbay isn't comnected to anything, so neither is your lifesupport, LEARN FROM THE FOOLISH SLUG INTERCEPTOR DESIGN! Make doors into your your life support! Wake up people! Other then that, pretty good! Hope a real in-game editor comes up so I can make a custom fed cruiser

I hate to break it to ya, but you ran off at the mouth there, pal.

Take another look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... 896fb8.png

There's very clearly a pair of doors between the medbay and the teleporter room, so... :?:

The only doors from the med bay to another room are the ones to the life support system. The rest of the sides of the rooms are walls touching the other systems.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... 896fb8.png

I do not see any doors between the med bay and teleporter. All I see is black wall between those rooms.
ShadowDragon8685

Re: Create-a-Cruiser ship sprite sheets (minor spoilers)

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Well, that's just goddamn weird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... /Proof.jpg

Screencap of the image being viewed on my photobucket. Those there are doors, my friend.

Maybe a WIP version got cached?

Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

So, I've started making a shipbuilder, but as far as I can tell, the game only supports square rooms? And there's a load of nonsquare ones in the imageset here, so I got confused :P
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Darkfrost wrote:So, I've started making a shipbuilder, but as far as I can tell, the game only supports square rooms? And there's a load of nonsquare ones in the imageset here, so I got confused :P

Sadly, yes. The game only supports 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 rooms. These were the fanciful creation of an artist who knows that cooler, more interesting ships could be made this way, but sadly the engine does not support that.

Trainzack

Postby Trainzack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:The game only supports 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 rooms.

Actually, I have proof to the contrary:

However, the rooms do have to be rectangular (In the files you can only change the width and height).

And I think the texture on the rooms is stretched to fit the room.

EDIT: Tried that ship out in game, and as soon as i tried to path find with the 2x3 room, the game crashed. However, 1x1 rooms are completely possible.

Double EDIT: Not sure what happened, but apparently my previous edit was wrong. Any sized room is possible and fully functional as long as it is rectangular.
Last edited by Trainzack on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 am

Oh, wow, heh.

Noted. You'd need to either custom-sprite rooms you intended to be larger, or only use some kind of an empty large central room as a hallway/fuck you to beam weapons.

Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 am

Yeah, playing around with the room sizes a bit, I had 6x4 rooms and other weird sizes working, didn't try it in game past the new game screen though, so I'm not sure if they bug out later :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 am

I'm on a roll. I give you... The Bulwark Deceiver!

What do you get when you cram a fighter-tight cluster of working bays in the heart of a cruiser hull, all centrally radiating out from a four-person medbay, then add a superweapon, and season to taste with six spread-out bays that open only onto space and have no mechanical connection to the heart of the ship?

You get the Bulwark Deceiver, that's what you get. Most of the working bays in this ship are 2x1; only the medbay, weapon bay, shield bay, and engine bay are 2x2. This ship is well-insulated from beam weapons and boarding parties/drones owing to the external, disconnected bays, which can soak up a beam by making it traverse useless, dense space on its way to the next room, and which serve as sinks for enemy boarding drones or parties to land in; and if the enemy which lands within it is a boarding party, you can summarily space them, leaving them to die gasping in ignorance, impotently unable to do any harm to your vessel or crew. (In fact, it is recommended for captains of Deceivers to leave these bays exposed to vacuum at all times.)

Of course, if a beam does originate in the heart of the ship and travel through it, as opposed to out towards one of the outlying bays, a lot of damage can happen very quickly, owing to the numerous, densely-packed bays, and if a boarding party does land inside the working spaces, getting rid of them may be a challenge, as the only airlocks inside the heart of the ship are single doors in the working bays that must be manned at all times. The upshot, of course, is that the legendarily sluggish Rockman crew have only a short distance to travel from wherever they may be working to the medbay, with only the pilot needing to stride more than three standard work areas to reach medbay.

The Bulwark Deceiver mounts a superweapon, like the Federation Cruiser. Like the Federation Cruiser, it targets randomly; unlike the Federation Cruiser, the weapon is not a shield-piercing artillery beam, but a mass driver that accelerates meteoroids. It can be upgraded three times, and for every two bar of energy being fed to the mass driver, it accelerates two small asteroids towards the enemy vessel when its loading time (25 seconds) is up. The Mass Driver is also unlike the Artillery Beam in that it benefits from having a skilled gunner at the controls. Just like ordinary asteroids, though, it can miss.