[SHIP] The War Effort [AE] (V2.5)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Saltypretzel

[SHIP] The War Effort [AE] (V2.5)

Postby Saltypretzel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am

V2 is out! Featuring new art/gibs (courtesy of AnAngryMantis), 2 extra rooms to accommodate the slightly larger ship (mind control and hacking get seperate rooms now!), and 2 more doors to space for venting! V2.5 also adds 2 different B and C variants for the new ship with slightly different play-styles! Images and download are down below!

A tiny and extremely old Federation boarding ship designed around taking over enemy ships and overpowering fleets through sheer numbers. Has been slightly refit with better engines/cloning tech for use in the Federation/Rebel war and is now yours. Can you accomplish your mission in this micro vessel?

Replaces Federation Cruiser (Osprey) Type A through C or only C depending on download

This ship was made mainly because I wanted to test the idea of having a small challenge-esque ship with an excessively large teleportation room (6 crew), I'm somewhat pleased with the result (pardon the bad art :D ) and it feels decently balanced after about 6 or 8 runs on Easy (all failed cus' I'm bad). The ship starts off pretty strong and snowballs with every new crew member, but can easily become weak if you encounter an enemy with a Medbay, an enemy that has a good chance to FTL away, or an enemy with anti-personnel drones. You can only teleport 4 crew at a time still, but the teleporter being in a larger room also allows for faster repairs and epic 6v6 space fights to break loose (or terrifying 6-tile fires)

My first ship, made in Superluminal 2.2.1 https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24901

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ahdwhwcg12bsb5g/TheWarEffort.ftl/file <--- V1 (Original version, replaces C) Download

Original version, replaces Osprey variant C

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t55sbu0i17ep31e/TheWarEffortV2.ftl/file <--- V2 (Variant A only, replaces C) Download

http://www.mediafire.com/file/of7gzupg7qpryoe/War+Effort.zip <--- V2.5 (All variants, replaces A through C)

V2 Images

Variant A

Variant B

Variant C

Last edited by Saltypretzel on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnAngryMantis

Re: [SHIP] The War Effort [AE]

Postby AnAngryMantis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Well, the art isn't all bad if you think about the fact that you probably hand drew it(No offense if you didn't, took me loads of time to make my first ship image). I could try making you one if you could describe what you would want it to look like.
Saltypretzel

Postby Saltypretzel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 pm

AnAngryMantis wrote:Well, the art isn't all bad if you think about the fact that you probably hand drew it(No offense if you didn't, took me loads of time to make my first ship image). I could try making you one if you could describe what you would want it to look like.

I made the art in about 4-6 hours using Paint.net and some inspiration from the Kestrel, and while it was really fun, I feel like I focused on the interior's shape too hard so it ended up looking extremely blocky, but honestly I think the shape compliments the 'retro boarding ship' style I was trying to go for. Still doesn't look great by any means, though.

If you want to give it a go, however, I'd suggest trying to maintain the somewhat rectangular shape of the main teleportation bay, while still making it look more sleek/natural around the other edges. I already know I could've done better with the cockpit (rounded edges and glass), but that was a good bit after the gibs were already done. It probably would've looked better if I also did proper lighting instead of just using a 2-color gradient around the main parts, though I got lazy after a-while since I mostly made this for testing out a play-style based around a challenging, tiny ship that I later decided to spice up with the teleportation mechanic, cause I felt it would be pretty boring to attempt to play a weak ship with average weapons; at that point it'd simply be a worse Kestrel.

I was also considering for a bit if I should even post this ship, since I didn't think it would be 'up to standards' with your average submission due to how fast I clobbered it together, but I decided to anyway since I figured it couldn't hurt that badly to have an extra mod for the forums (and I thought there was some potential for interesting runs too).
AnAngryMantis

Postby AnAngryMantis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Here you are:Image
To be completely honest, I was pretty busy while making this, so I took a Federation scout, which would best fit the shape of your original ship, and slapped some of the airlock's from the kestrel on it. Tell me if you want anything changed. Also, a bit of advice. Try making things easier for yourself by starting off with ingame ship images, and editing other ship images on there to make yours. I'll try and finish gibs in a bit
Saltypretzel

Postby Saltypretzel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm

AnAngryMantis wrote:Here you are:Image
To be completely honest, I was pretty busy while making this, so I took a Federation scout, which would best fit the shape of your original ship, and slapped some of the airlock's from the kestrel on it. Tell me if you want anything changed. Also, a bit of advice. Try making things easier for yourself by starting off with ingame ship images, and editing other ship images on there to make yours. I'll try and finish gibs in a bit

Nice job, it looks way better than the ship I made. I don't think it needs any real changes, other than maybe those 'teleport' logos I had on the previous ship.

And yeah, I know it would be way easier to edit in-game ships, but I like making my own stuff since I can only get better at it. I learned quite a bit from making that first blocky ship, anyway. I feel like the problems with my ship's design were just looking way too blocky with no real edges, improper lighting, and not taking advantage of making more 'black lines' to make it feel like the ship was actually built, instead of just looking like a floating crayola masterpiece. Also it was way too small since I focused too much on making it match the rooms, all the actual in-game ships have way thicker hulls; making it look more like a real ship than a thin layer of aluminum foil masquerading as an actual threat. If I ever do make another ship though, I might end up using more in-game images, instead of making my own if I can't ever figure out how to properly make natural edges in Paint.net.

But anyway, yeah, I like the look of the modified Federation Scout a-lot more. When the gibs are done, I'd like to make a version of the War Effort that has your art, if that's cool.
AnAngryMantis

Postby AnAngryMantis » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Here you are, you can use these freely, so go make your new version with it if you want. BTW, in case you wonder where the download is, skip that load of rubbish and just click and drag it onto desktop or something and rename it. Here you are:
Base:Image
Gib 1:Image
Gib 2:Image
Gib 3:Image
Gib 4:Image
Saltypretzel

Postby Saltypretzel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 pm

AnAngryMantis wrote:*snip*

Thanks for making art for my ship, I really appreciate it! The new ship has been tweaked slightly for size, but other than that, it fits the original layout pretty well; and makes it slightly easier on the eyes by giving some special systems their own rooms.

I'd definitely say the Federation Scout looks a whole lot more natural than what I previously made.
AnAngryMantis

Re: [SHIP] The War Effort [AE] (V2.5)

Postby AnAngryMantis » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm

The new ships look nice! Glad I could help.