[OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ievgen

Re: [OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Postby ievgen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 am

Answer from Russian developer - no it won`t work with the vanilla game. It should be rewritten to work properly.
ZekEttek

Postby ZekEttek » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Hey I downloaded the mod but it doesn't work. It'll launch fine, but when I hit start to begin the game, it freezes up and I have to force quit it. Is there a way to fix this?
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

When watching a FTL streamer using this mod, I noticed it was using the assets of my photocasters from my weapons mod, but I have not been notified or asked about this.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:When watching a FTL streamer using this mod, I noticed it was using the assets of my photocasters from my weapons mod, but I have not been notified or asked about this.

I'm sorry about that, I can remove your photocasters if you want it.
Image Image Image
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm

bamalf wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:When watching a FTL streamer using this mod, I noticed it was using the assets of my photocasters from my weapons mod, but I have not been notified or asked about this.

I'm sorry about that, I can remove your photocasters if you want it.

Yeah, that would be good. If this was a collaboration/compilation mod of various weapon mods, I'd have been fine with that, but the fact my stuff was used without asking or crediting it really rubbed me the wrong way.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:48 am

WhiteWeasel wrote:Yeah, that would be good. If this was a collaboration/compilation mod of various weapon mods, I'd have been fine with that, but the fact my stuff was used without asking or crediting it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I feel like I need to make my stance clear on this since I guess this is technically "my" topic.

I'm just going to say I wouldn't be surprised if everyone whose work Arsenal+ has taken as its own felt the same way. This "using without asking" mindset needs to stop. I get that this overhaul mod wants to be the best one out there and have the best stuff in it -- and I've put in time to make English speakers have as much fun playing this mod as I've done rewriting it -- but stealing other people's work, pretending their work is ours?

Despite the best intentions, it's just unacceptable. And it devalues all the great work we've put into it.

Look, I'll admit I haven't been perfect about this either. I've known that this overhaul has ripped mod assets from great mods and modders, but I've just pushed it away as "I didn't do that and I wouldn't have done that... what can I even do about it?" but that just means I didn't care enough to do anything about it.

From now on it will be different. As a future policy then, other people's work cannot be used without their permission. For the people's work which is currently incorporated... we ought to reach out to those people and straight up tell them the truth. Whatever they say goes. At the very least for now, everyone's work ought to be well-credited, with the truth stated in whole.

I regret never asking or crediting you, WhiteWeasel. I can't speak for the Russian devs, but I hope they feel the same way, and I also hope they'll see what I'm trying to say.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:22 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:Yeah, that would be good. If this was a collaboration/compilation mod of various weapon mods, I'd have been fine with that, but the fact my stuff was used without asking or crediting it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I feel like I need to make my stance clear on this since I guess this is technically "my" topic.
-snip-

Thanks, I appreciate that this is being addressed.
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 am

I just want to quickly jump on this: Arsenal+ does indeed use some of my own weapon sprites: but I have given bamalf permission to use them.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:43 am

I've finally got around to updating Arsenal+ with the changes added in 1.26-1.26.4 to the original Russian mod, and also got around to revamping the entire main post.

I'm not gonna spoil the details, but there's a whole slew of new content added, from new weapons to new events to new ships, mainly owing itself to the addition of a brand-new sector, which adds new factions. There's lots of new stuff. Also, every player ship can now get artillery from stores!

I've also added a "failsafe" mechanism to the overhaul and its addons, which will prevent you from patching mods in the wrong order and the like -- and best yet, you'll see the reason when the patching fails.

I've changed the download links into 4 main downloads. The first two on this list must be downloaded to play the updated mod.
  1. The Base Resources. This is the Resource Pack from before, containing most of the audio and art assets. The file itself has trimmed by nearly 25%, mainly owing to the reduced file sizes of the music.
  2. Arsenal+ English. This new download contains the Base Data and all** other addons within a .7z archive, weighing in at ~52 MB. Packaging everything aside from the Base Resources (that's much too big) will now allow me to make constant updates, and also allows you to not worry about having to download 10 different things.
  3. Flagship Generator for Arsenal+. This is nearly the same as before, the update here is just failsafe and better SMM description for generated flagships.
  4. Randtrel for Arsenal+. You read that right, the Randtrel generator has now been specifically adapted for Arsenal+. Yep, if you got bored with all of the DLC Ship Packs already, you can keep generating randomized ship packs.
-----
** The "Light Lasers Damage Systems" addon has currently been taken offline. With the changes introduced in v1.26+, I'll have to spend a good deal of time reworking all that's happening with new weapons and injected variants, and I didn't want to have to wait on that. It'll come back shortly. ;)
----
in other news... WhiteWeasel's photocasters' assets have been replaced with brand-new ones, as per their request. Following that discussion, I've added a Credits section to the main post listing out all the places Arsenal+ has taken stuff from. yeah, it's ugly that content has been taken without permission, but at the very least there is accreditation, and categories listing the permission status of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After revamping the post, adding a completely new set of downloads and adding a "failsafe" mechanism, I must say I'm rather nervous I didn't miss or screw up anything. Please tell me if there's something wrong with patching mods in or if I've broke something. I hope all is well and the update is a success!
ZekEttek

Postby ZekEttek » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:I've also added a "failsafe" mechanism to the overhaul and its addons, which will prevent you from patching mods in the wrong order and the like -- and best yet, you'll see the reason when the patching fails.

When I try and patch it this is the error I get. Is there a solution? I'm on a Mac.

Code: Select all

Patching failed: java.nio.charset.UnmappableCharacterException: Input length = 1