[FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
JakeCollins

Re: [FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Postby JakeCollins » Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 am

As the beam rippled through the darkness into the singularity, Jake immidiatly saw something he didn't want to see. The red light of the beam illuminated the dark clouds, like a neon red backlight. This exposed the shilloutes of at least two dozen rebel ships, holding an extremely tight defensive formation a few thousand kilometers off. For the past few months the two fleets, the URU and the Rebels had been mutually undetected. But shooting off a high energy beam lit them up like a neon light- literally. Jake saw the ships beginning to assume a very tight attack formation. But before he saw the formation complete, the laser weapon deactivated and they were blind again.

"Red alert!" Jake shouted. "Lux, power up the weapon again. Its our only way of seeing the ememy!"

Sarah replied "The weapon will take at least 30 seconds to recharge!"

About 45 seconds later, Jake was in the cockpit and the weapon had recharged. Jake ordered it to fire again. Once again, it illuminated the rebel forces. And they were visibly closer. Then, total darkness. 45 seconds later, the weapon fired again. This time, the beam actually made contact with a rebel scout, blowing it to pieces. But the rest of the fleet? Well, it was practically on top of them.
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 am

Kira glowed twice as bright when the rebel fleet was first sighted. She went straight onto comms. “All hands on deck! Fleet has been detected!” King smacked his head on the engines while doing some repair work. He went onto the comms.
“Situation: unoptimal. Suggestion: use of Kira's knowledge could aid us...”
“King, you and I both know that can't happen.”
Gorlag woke up, groggy and confused. “Whadada whaaa? Rebels?” He slithered out, saw the Mutare docked and his eyestalks shot up. “You take a nap and everything happens.” he muttered, slithering to the weapons room to activate weapons.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 pm

The Seagull had already returned to the Pelican once the lightshow had begun. Eden and her crew took the cargo ship to Red Alert and deployed weapons. "Come on, let's get ourselves out of this mess"

Meanwhile Lux was looking at the displays with a rather happy-surprised expression. Happy at the laser doing something interesting, and surprised at how many Rebel ships were waiting inside the singularity. "Considering what we're up against, I don't think we should wait 30 seconds between shots; I'm going to overload the capacitator coils. It will most definitely burn them out after the battle but better to have destroyed weapons than a destroyed ship" Lux informed Jake "Unless the AI objects to violating weapon safety protocols."
Well so much for seeing what firing another laser at the singularity would do. I don't understand any of this data at all...
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm

"Yeah!" Sarah said. "Just overload it. You should be able to cut it down to 30 seconds, 20 if you really push it." A rebel scrap weapon scraped the hull of the Mature, as all shield bubbles were useless in the sand. "You'll only get about 5 shots with a weapon like that though, before it just fizzles out or explodes half your hull." With that, Sarah reached her maximum exertion and retreated into the computer.
NEmergix

Postby NEmergix » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm

While Eden was heading back to the pilot seat, Nicholas objected that it was good to see the Scarab again and to hear that Bren was doing better.
He rushed the gunner's seat while the rebel fleet where rushing on them.

The ship has been upgraded with the tech that the fed' provided, and the old and the small weapon command room was now in much better order, with more modern equipment.
Thinking this was another useless and slow cargo holder, a rebel fighter focused the surprised and fixed scarab, but at the expense of being right in the middle of that supposed harmless ship that was the Pelican.

Deadly mistake.

Nicholas fired at the spoiled rebel ship, and the absence of any shield system, the almost all of the flak based artillery hit the now doomed ship.
The engine system was totally out of action and the ship was preached all over, making the rebel fighter launch into outer space like a rock.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm

A rebel fighter fired some shots at the Scarab before being desimated by the Pelican. Luckily nothing was damaged. An auto-scout also came near, Garnarg fired the Scarab's weapons at it. The crystal burst hit the shields but the other lasers missed.

“I'll stay with the patients.” Grom explained, “You go and help.” Sediment complied and went to the helm wifh Jake, like where he would resided when they did have a fight before this whole singularity event. He sat in a back chair.

The Lanius fleet spotted the rebels and moved in to assist, firing at the rebel ships while doing so.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 am

Seeing as no one else is posting, I guess ill write something to stimulate a response?.

Jake Collins swirled around in the piloting chair, frantically pressing buttons and sliding sliders on the flickering, slowly dying controls. With shields offline two Rebel foghters were baraging the Mature with spitfire chain weapons. The rapping on the hull (sound is a vibration, vibrations can appear in the hull from weapons fire and are audible since the vibrations travel into the ship. Fight me.) It sounded like over amplified rainfall on a bass-boosted steel drum. "Sarah! Can we jump?" Jake screamed into the intercom. "Sarah?" Sarah was obviously offline, or on such low processing power that she couldn't form words to respond, or even understand Jake's speech. "Shit!" Jake screamed as another barrage rocked the ship. "We're sitting ducks!"

The Mature relies completely on various types of energy fields to function. They probably use energy fields instead of wires at this point. Which makes them extra screwed in the Non-Matter nebula thing.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 am

I was waiting for someone to post.

“I'm not going down without a fight!” Sediment rushed to the console for something, hoping the months of learning to use the Mutare pay off. “What would happen if we jumped near a black hole? Scratch that. Is it better than what is happening now?” More shots bombarded the Mutare, something needed to happen.
A couple rebel ships on the scanners quickly vanished after railgun fire from the Scarab. 2 down, several dozens to go.

Kira spoke on the Scarab's comms. “How many shots of that railgun before it overheats Gorlag?”
“Its already hot! I'm not sure if it can take more.” The slug replied, “These months of disuse aren‘t doing any good.”
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Lux felt the ship shake from the impact. "Jake, I don't think the AI is responding to us! You're the expert pilot here, you tell us if it's possible to jump."

Meanwhile, the Pelican was being harassed by two Rebel Riggers with Dropship configurations. A squad of Rebellion soldiers beamed onboard the ship. Firefights were breaking out in the corridors as Eden pulled off a crazy stunt that caused a pair of missiles to swoop past the ship at high speed. They tried to do a course correction only to run out of fuel and exploded to prevent becoming navigation hazards to other Rebel ships in the clouds.
Time seemed to slow down for the Pirate Captain as she moved her fingers over the console, opening up airlock doors in a precise pattern where Rebel soldiers had teleported, followed by taking power bars from life support and moving it into the shield system. She looked back at Nicholas who was firing the flak cannons at whatever targets came into view. "Those dropships have to be close to the ship in order to beam their troops onboard. Focus your fire on their navigation systems; if we disable them, they can't return for reinforcements and can act as navigational hazards..."
Or ablative armour... since the Rebels don't care about losing their own lives for the cause, she thought to herself.

I'm waiting for that singularity to do something because I'm more interested in that part of the story than the space battle; we either win the battle or we take on so much damage we spend several pages on repairs again and not on progressing the overall story.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 am

Seems cool. I was planning that. You could've just added that element, (that's the point of an RP, lol) but I guess I'll do it. :lol: Unless we all die, of course! :D

Jake was having a similar feeling of time being slowed as fear and desperation washed over him. The steady pulse of the emergency lights seemed to become slower with each passing blink. Sounds of shouting, explosions, sparking conduits elongated into the cries of blue whales. Jake was desperately trying to spin the ship to avoid the barrage. Soon, he was spinning so fast from his own frantic maneuvering that he could barely control his tumble through the black sand. Screens flickered and died only to flash on again, barely holding onto life. The console was cracked from impact, and the messages that were not obscured all predicted bad things.

But Jake would not give up. He managed to regain basic control and right the tumble of the ship, only to have a missile knock it onto a strange axis. And now, they were once again tumbling through the blackness. Jakes chair rattled violently as they tumbled through space, their retrograde spin accelerated by yet another barrage of shots. Sensors were even more dead than usual, so Jake was flying with what little visibility he had. "Shit!" He screamed, firing port side RCS thrusters to frantically nudge the ship away from a flying hunk of scrap. The scrap metal flew behind them and a Rebel ship mistook it for the Mature. The Rebel ship fired on the scrap and it exploded into shrapnel, which put some serious scratches on the hull of the nearby Mature.

And then, among all the alarms, the hissing steam, the rattle of the enemy fire... a sound emerged. Louder than all of it. It drowned out all of the battle. It was a low rumble, but a loud one, like being in the middle of a cloud during a thunderstorm. Jake looked out of the window as a wave of blue energy rippled through the mysterious clouds, like a wave of electricity coursing through the cloud. It was headed straight for the battle. In fact, Jake assumed that it was rippling through the entire Expanse, from the center. The center being the Black Hole, of course.

When the wave passed over them it did not cause some dramatic explosion. Rather, it was the opposite. It was like the whole universe said "Ssshhh..." Every particle, every star, every galaxy was telling the fighters to rest in silence. This was the universe's library, and the librarian was annoyed. All ship systems powered down, leaving them dark and cold. But not empty. Because there was a presence here.

"Oh fuck," Jake muttered into the stillness of the empty cockpit. "Who's there?"