[FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
JakeCollins

Re: [FTL RP, WE'RE BACK, REBOOTED!] The Rogue Cadets

Postby JakeCollins » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:32 am

Jake sat in his room, all the lights off, and the normal ambient starlight blocked by the sandy clouds. Darkness, with nothing but the noise of alien, paradoxical particles slamming against the hull. Like a howling wind.

Jake felt the cold, hard, smooth floor. He saw nothing but darkness. He heard the howling wins. He smelled the slight smoke from some busted capacitor in the heating unit. But it only took a few minutes for him to feel something else. A 6th sense.

"I know you." He said to the emptiness. "I have not met you face to face. I have only heard the retelling of you, twice. Once from the ghosts on that rebel ship, and another time from the AI which saw you."

There was a long pause.

"However, you know of me, don't you?"

Another empty pause.

"Trenzalourus IV. I'll be waiting." Forgot to put this Trenz stuff on my plot list, I updated it.

Suddenly, Sarah popped in on the comms. "Jake-"

"Sarah I told you to stop bother-"

"The Scarab is back."

"On my way."

Jake raced to the helm, knocking over transport carts and kicking cleaning units as he leaped into his chair and activated the control panel. The Scarab was barely visible in the haze, and invisible on scanners. It was rapidly fading out of view, and he knew if it vanished it would be gone for good. Jake targeted every available grapple on the fading hull and fired. Positive lock. Positive lock. Positive lock. Positive lock. He activated all of the servos to reel his long-lost friends to him as fast as he could. The ship went from barely a shadow to a starship within the next minute.

Jake wasn't sure how but the Scarab got a transmission through, probably with the Zoltan help of Kira, but speculation aside a fuzzy transmission came in on a low-band frequency. "I got you! I got you! Come on home!" Jake cheered into the microphone. By this time, the others realized was was happening, and the dark clouds suddenly seemed to get a little brighter. Just a little brighter.
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:13 am

Sediment got word that the Scarab was reached pretty quickly, finding the news great. However, he never really felt much towards the crew of the Scarab, nor anyone that Sediment didn't spend a lot of his time around, like the crew of the Mutare. He felt less like a friend and more like a hitchhiker who has become a burdensome room mate. Sediment was running from the law, and that was still etched into his mind, thinking everyday about what would happen if the Promethium government got their hands on him. Then he'ld remember that he's no less of a criminal then some people in this union. Jake and his friends stole a ship and Eden was a pirate who has murdered many a man. He had respect for the Rogue Union, but not so much empathy. He hoped to make better friends, but sitting near a black whole for 6 months really gets to you, and its not like there's not much conversation.
"Hey, hows it going? Good? Huh that's funny, same answer as the previous 160 or so days."
"What'd you have for lunch? Rations? Same here!"
"What ya up to? Pacing the room again? Ah, that's a nice pass time."
That was less engaging conversation and more small talk. Sediment never liked small talk, found it annoying. Of course, Sediment saw Kyrie and Jake as friends but, again, hard to be chummy next to a black hole with nothing to do. He would've lost his mind if he didn't spend the last 6 months learning how to use the futuristic systems in the Mutare. Not much to do, might as well crack open a manual and start reading. More productive then what Kyrie was doing.
The Pelican came around occasionally, but Sediment did not find that comforting. They were nice, but it was hard to feel comfortable around crazy cannibal pirates. And The Scarab's crew seemed nice, but he didn't see them often in the last year or so, barely knew some of their names. There was Ruwen, Bren and Kira, and the other few. He believed he learnt their names at some point, but with time memories get lost.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:50 pm

Once the scientific equipment had been unloaded onto the Mutare, Lux left the cargo lifter to assist with the installation of some of the equipment.
It soon became very apparent why she was eager; one such piece of equipment was a high energy laser beam. "According to the specs, it's got a power draw similar to the Glaive Beam but lacks the range; but if focused on a single point, it can melt through practically any barrier" she explained to Jake "It's used by miners to crack through tough asteroids or mountains... or by research vessels looking to see what shooting a high-energy laser into stellar phenomenon will do..."
She gestured towards the singularity "I think it's worth a shot, what about you, Captain of Captains?"
Her usual poetic reference for Jake had seemed to change over time as well...

Meanwhile, Eden was busy assisting with the resupply of the Scarab.

I'm thinking the high energy laser is like a Maul Beam in Captain's Edition. 5 damage, hits only a single point. The Pelican could mount it, but the Mutare has the secondary equipment to analyse the results better than a bunch of pirates in a cargo ship.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Tue May 01, 2018 2:45 am

"Yeah... uh... sure..." Jake was sure that under normal circumstances he would be interested in whatever Eden was saying. But other thoughts were racing through his mind. Thoughts of Bren. Thoughts of Ruwen. As he briskly walked away, he shouted back without turning around.

"You have full authorization to do whatever. Sarah will be in command and in charge of the operation. I'll be on the Scarab. Notify me as soon as the weapon is ready to fire. Sarah, you have the Mature."

With that, he left for the Scarab, docked at the starboard side. As he walked through the corridors lights faded on and off. Everything was dimly lit, including the display console at the airlock door. This was because the Mature's technology relied heavily on wireless energy fields, which were extremely vulnerable to the dampening effects of the "Peculiar Matter," as Sarah called it. (Well, what else should I call it? Antimatter, Dark Matter, and Exotic Matter are all taken!) This is why Sarah could never materialize her avatar, and why computer power was at a premium. All the computer power left aboard the Mature (about 37%) was being taken up by Sarah.

Anyways, enough about the Mature. Because Jake stepped aboard the long lost Scarab. It was such a refreshing site to see something brightly lit. Everything had been dim and gloomy on the Mature for the past 6 months. Interestingly, no one was at the airlock! Jake activated a wall mounted comm unit crudely bolted in the wall beside him. "This is Jake Collins, Captain of the USS Mature, Commander of the United Rogue Union. Where's my welcoming party?" He said, puzzled.
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
4n4rch1st

Postby 4n4rch1st » Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 am

Non-Matter sounds like a good name to call it. Quite mysterious and sinister.
Well done war hero and or olympian. We are satisfied by your contribution to The Rebellio- BZZZZT Hey! That's the clone bay, not a bathroom.

Fact: Now with 110% more snarkyness!
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 am

A response came through the comm, from Grom. “Sorry Jake, but I need to look after Bren and Ruwen. Kira is doing an energy transplant with Bren to speed his recovery, seems to be working, and King is working on the internal stabilisers. Not sure where Gorlag is, probably taking a nap. Ruwen is excited to see you though, even through he is in pain.”
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 am

Eden then said over the comms "We could come to the door, but I don't think you'd appreciate my crew being your welcoming party, kid."
Her crew had boarded the other airlock of the Scarab with the runabout; the collection of various ship parts and systems had been improved over the past few months. It even had a pair of lasers for combat situations. There had been some issues over what it was to be named however; naval superstitions about naming a ship made of ships was bad luck as it changed a lot of ship names... but they all agreed to call it "The Seagull" eventually.

Lux looked back at Jake as he headed towards the Scarab "Inform me of any injuries that can't be treated on the field; setting up and callibrating this laser won't be easy, so I can't just leave to deal with a headache or a broken arm."
As soon as the doors sealed though, she looked towards the console "Sarah, are you sure there hasn't been any changes in the singularity? Is there a hidden protocol file in your databanks that can only be opened by the CEO of some company in the future because they were paranoid that something would upset their monopoly?"
Like in that one episode of Captain Awesome... she thought to herself, amused at how many things were lining up with her favourite TV show, although they usually gloss over the long waiting periods when it comes to stellar anomalies...
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 am

Kyrie would often forget she was gazing into an actual substance as she stared out the window. Seeing it so often seemed to make it invisible. When the Scarab broke through the invisible blanket, her eyes darted to it immediately. At first she thought it was a hallucination since they happened sometimes with the white noise and static background. Kyrie knew it was real when the Mutare latched on to the mirage. Immediately, she jumped up and ran toward the airlock. She welcomed anything out of the ordinary these days.

Jake had already gone in when she got there. The medbay was the first place she went. “Grom? How’s everyone doing?”
NEmergix

Postby NEmergix » Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 am

didn't notice the rp was back ! Sry I am late !
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 am

Kyrie wrote:“Grom? How's everyone doing?”

Grom was working on making some medicine for Ruwen out of Rockman medicine and King's research when Kyrie came in.
“Kyrie!” she replied, filled with joy seeing an old friend after months. “Alls well as it was. Bren is recovering slowly” she pointed to a curtain, behind it something glowing brightly. “Heh, I've been geeting Kira to do energy transplants with Bren and it seems to be working. Ruwen is still in pain, but its hard to treat without proper medication. Been making altered versions of rockman pain killers but I'm not getting it. Aside from that King has started to remember his past, nothing too important yet, I don't think. Enough about us, how about you?