Should XP be awarded for actions that don't damage or kill the enemy?

General discussion about the game.
Artea

Should XP be awarded for actions that don't damage or kill the enemy?

Postby Artea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this observation, but for a game that is all about exploiting fun environmental interactions, it's counter-intuitive and even paradoxical that only damaging or killing the enemy is awarded XP. This is most obvious with Science class mechs, which lag behind XP-wise even though they prevent and redirect damage all the time.

There are two systems you could use: collect all the XP and distribute it among the surviving mechs at the end of combat, or award XP for actions that don't damage or kill the enemy, such as blocking a Vek from spawning, using a push/pull effect to free someone from a web or absorbing damage with a shield (the XP should go to the mech who erected that shield, in that case), just to name a few examples.

What does everybody else think?
5thHorseman

Re: Should XP be awarded for actions that don't damage or kill the enemy?

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm

While I'm not against the idea of finding ways to give more XP to non-killing mechs, I'm not opposed to the way it is now. It adds something to think about, and strategies (like selling that pilot who's not getting any XP anyway). And it's not like you can't swap pilots around to give them more XP if you want.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Treamayne

Postby Treamayne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm

My strategy is to put whatever fully leveled pilot "time shifted" from my last run into the Science mech, so I don't have to worry that it gets no XP. But that doesn't seem like it should be a "feature." So, I agree that it might be nice for actions to award XP. Even if that is just an "ability" of the science mech itself (in which case, blocking Vek and "shooting" companion mechs are the two that seem to stand out as options).
V/R

Treamayne
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:20 am

Also, XP for killing Vek needs to be decreased to compensate, or everybody will be leveled up midway through the 2nd island.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:22 am

Or the amount of XP needed to level up increases.
Treamayne

Postby Treamayne » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 am

Jumbocarrot0 wrote:Or the amount of XP needed to level up increases.

I think I would prefer this over decreasing the amount per Vek, as I really like the symmetry of 1 HP per health point.

Other options I thought of (just spit-balling ideas for discussion) is instead of having RNG distribute XP from Vek that die outside of the action>effect animation (such as fire damage, environmental effect), you could either:
- have the system "remember" what mech(s) caused the effect (example: Swap Mech teleports Vek onto environmental hazard, it should get the XP when that Vek dies, not RNG distributed)
- have it accumulate and allow the player to distribute just that XP at the end of the mission.
V/R

Treamayne
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Treamayne wrote:- have the system "remember" what mech(s) caused the effect (example: Swap Mech teleports Vek onto environmental hazard, it should get the XP when that Vek dies, not RNG distributed)

I like this one. Just whatever mech last interacted (with a weapon) with the Vek. If none (Disposal Unit on first turn), back to the way it works now.

Another idea that I had was to not give XP to fully-leveled pilots, and distribute it among the unleveled ones. Then the unleveled ones would quickly level up once their teammates are maxxed out.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Plus Ralph's ability should apply to the whole team so he's a little bit less useless once maxed out?
I mean he's experienced, but why can't he share it with the rest of the class?