The Crystal Blader (AE Ship, CE Compatible)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
BrenTenkage

The Crystal Blader (AE Ship, CE Compatible)

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 am

Note this is using Captains Edition

Story of the Ship: A lone mantis with dreams of being a pirate stumbled on a strange pod, inside was a Crystal man who he enslaved and forced to design a raiding ship. Now with his slave he will try and conquer the rebels and prove once and for all that mantis deserve this galaxy, and that boarding strategies can totally take out the rebel flag ship.
Ok I admit a silly premise for a story but hey could be worse, I mean this is my first ship after all

Ship Information: Starts off with 6 power, enough power for shields, engines, and life support, however if you want to teleport no weapons to be used in the beginning, or if you want to use weapons no teleporting and you will have to give up something else. I went with this rock ship because mantis tend to like symmetry and if a mantis did force a crystal to make their own ship they would want it symmetrical, that and no skills with making custom hulls yet. The weapon being crystal gives a decent starting advantage and a mantis crystal combo is good for boarding parties, I'd say this ship is average difficulty all around. Depending on your luck you are either gonna have a good time or a really bad time (see my video for details) finally it is CE compatible, it has its own artillery, firing 3 1 shield Peirce shots that do 2 damage each, not to mention hull breaches and room stuns. Could be useful when your team disables the enemy shields.

Let's Plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6iatbFWsA&feature=youtu.be Bren Tenkage, AKA Myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa38eHlI9KE Biohazard063, Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxDIiD__62g Biohazard063, Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH7Cy7vm1w4 Biohazard063, Part 3

Download Link
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jqni6dt46x1dx76/The+Crystal+Blader+1.0+.ftl for the Crystal Blader 1.0

Final Note: I want to thank Biohazard063 for his support, this site for the tools to make this, CE for some of the resources, and finally you guys for downloading this. Hope to do more in the future ^_^.
Last edited by BrenTenkage on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Arfy

Re: The Crystal Blader (AE Ship, CE Compatible)

Postby Arfy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 am

I've done a complete run with this ship, hard mode beating the flagship, although I had to restart a couple of times in the start.

I'm going to compare this to the Carnelian as it's fairly similar.
One of the many strengths of the Carnelian was that even though it had no weapons, it was still capable of cloaking and level 2 engines allowing to tank more damage, however if you plan on boarding with this ship, your down to 1 engine power and a pilot, which doesn't provide much to dodge shots, the crystal burst doesn't really help considering only one shot is enough to knock it out, I suggest adding a buffer bar.

This ship also needs more airlocks, considering there are only 2 in total, and only at the back, boarders in the middle and front of the ship, enemies will destroy systems faster than the oxygen can be depleted.

Nothing much else to say.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 am

Arfy wrote:I've done a complete run with this ship, hard mode beating the flagship, although I had to restart a couple of times in the start.

I'm going to compare this to the Carnelian as it's fairly similar.
One of the many strengths of the Carnelian was that even though it had no weapons, it was still capable of cloaking and level 2 engines allowing to tank more damage, however if you plan on boarding with this ship, your down to 1 engine power and a pilot, which doesn't provide much to dodge shots, the crystal burst doesn't really help considering only one shot is enough to knock it out, I suggest adding a buffer bar.

This ship also needs more airlocks, considering there are only 2 in total, and only at the back, boarders in the middle and front of the ship, enemies will destroy systems faster than the oxygen can be depleted.

Nothing much else to say.

Thank you for the imput, I wanted to make a boarder ship, something a little more original then "put cool weapons on Kestral"

I agree it is around the same level, I chose not to give it a buffer bar as to balance the ship a bit, balance a decent start with a bit of risk, do you go for the riches or just play it safe and pick off the enemy ship. As for the airlocks that was also intental, to make it so you have to rely on your own crew to stop the enemy, you could keep them on their ship or keep them on your own. Plus to also take away the plan of "go into panic room" as I set up the rooms so that if you try that, you lose access to everything and can lose them

I don't deny my choices may not be the best, but I did it with the best intentions in mind, the next ship might be a little better as I'm gonna try to add more custom weapons. Hey Arfy can I use your weapons for my ships, obviously I'd credit you of course. Just need to go step by step in learning to mod, first the ship and layout itself then custom weapons then finally custom hulls
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 am

BrenTenkage wrote: Hey Arfy can I use your weapons for my ships, obviously I'd credit you of course. Just need to go step by step in learning to mod, first the ship and layout itself then custom weapons then finally custom hulls

Yeah man, it's cool.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 am

Personally, I'd be more paranoid about intruders and put airlocks on every room or at least have 1-2 rooms within range of one.
Because having to drain most of your ship to get rid of boarders or fire is actually rather tedious. Especially if it happens multiple times in a row.
Then you'll be spending several minutes waiting for Life Support to return each and every time because some Hacker might drain your oxygen.

I mean it works for the Shivan but that's because it's full of Rockmen.

EDIT: Congrats on your first mod by the way Bren.