[MOD] HighRes Backgrounds & Planets [V2.0]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Ouaz

[MOD] HighRes Backgrounds & Planets [V2.0]

Postby Ouaz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Latest update: November 2022

Hi folks,

As everybody knows, there are two majors mods that enhance FTL graphics with new high-res backgrounds and planets:

- High-res background graphics [V1.0] by Splette
- Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1 by Sanmonku
(completed with Scooterbaga's replacers).

Splette's mod stays very close to FTL original backgrounds and planets but lacks diversity, whereas Sanmonku's mod adds new visuals, some fitting very well with the FTL UI, but others not at all.

So, I created a new mod that mixes the best of them (successor of Splette's Mod), and in the same process, I did some modifications and additions. See the changelog below for further information.

What:

This graphical mod replaces the planets and backgrounds with higher quality versions, trying to stay as close as possible to the original subjects. It also adds a couple of new visuals and modify some others (mix between Splette's High-res Backround Graphics 1.0 and Sanmonku's Better Planets and Backgrounds Mod).

Note: this mod is not compatible with CE, nor with any other mods that modify the background and/or planet images by rewriting the events_imageList.xml file.

Edit: the Better Asteroids standalone mod by F.I.M is compatible with HighRes Backgrounds & Planets 2.0 though, as it just replaces "asteroids-related" image files, and do not modify events_imageList.xml (no conflict).

Download:

HighRes Backgrounds & Planets V2.0 (FTL 1.6.1+ compatible)

Changelog:

Latest update: Nov 27th, 2022

• Change .xml extension to .xml.append
  • Fix warnings about image type after validation in Slipstream Mod Manager
  • Replace one new nebula background that didn't look good in-game

V2.0 (2016-Oct-09)

• Improve Populated Planets images by adding array of lights on their dark sides
  • Implement Sanmonku's best additions from Better Planets and Backgrounds Mod (only one Hubble and one Xandra, but plenty of his beautiful artworks)
  • Modify color balance and contrast on most of the nebula backgrounds to add diversity
  • Modify some backgrounds to better match FTL's original backgrounds
  • Implement Scooterbaga's replacers for Pulsar, Gas Planet Rings, and Techmoon images
  • Add a new title screen
  • Fix the UTF-8 BOM encoding causing a warning in Slipstream's Mod Manager

V1.0 (2012-Sep-28)

• Initial release of Splette's High-res background graphics [V1.0] Mod

Screenshots:

*** Backgrounds (29) **** (Note: 5 high-res backgrounds are not displayed in this mockup > 3 "dullstars" and the 2 purple nebula storm backgrounds)

*** Planets (23) **** (Note: Scooterbaga's Pulsar V1 replacer is not displayed in this mockup)

*** In-Game ****

Enjoy!

Credits:

Thanks to:

- Splette, for his High-Res Background Graphics Mod
- Sanmonku, for his Better Planets and Backgrounds Mod
- Sanmonku again, for his awesome space art backgrounds (visit his DevianArt: sanmonku.deviantart.com)
- Scooterbaga for his Pulsar, Gas Planet Rings, and Techmoon replacers
- Russian Rockman's for his buttons from Shiny! UI Overhaul Mod, used in the new title screen
- Unnamed, for his Hell Planet artwork (open-source art at http://opengameart.org/content/16-planet-sprites)
- Nasa, for two nebula backgrounds (Hubble M42 and Xandra)
Last edited by Ouaz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Auron1

Re: [MOD] HighRes Backgrounds & Planets [V2.0]

Postby Auron1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 am

Ouaz wrote:Hi folks,

So, I created a new mod that mixes the best of them (successor of Splette's Mod), and in the same process, I did some modifications and additions. See the changelog below for further information.

What:

This graphical mod replaces the planets and backgrounds with higher quality versions, trying to stay as close as possible to the original subjects. It also adds a couple of new visuals and modify some others (mix between Splette's High-res Backround Graphics 1.0 and Sanmonku's Better Planets and Backgrounds Mod).

Changelog:

V2.0 (2016-Oct-09)

• Improve Populated Planets images by adding array of lights on their dark sides
  • Implement Sanmonku's best additions from Better Planets and Backgrounds Mod (only one Hubble and one Xandra, but plenty of his beautiful artworks)
  • Modify color balance and contrast on most of the nebula backgrounds to add diversity
  • Modify some backgrounds to better match FTL's original backgrounds
  • Implement Scooterbaga's replacers for Pulsar, Gas Planet Rings, and Techmoon images
  • Add a new title screen
  • Fix the UTF-8 BOM encoding causing a warning in Slipstream's Mod Manager

V1.0 (2012-Sep-28)
{pictures omitted}

Just WOW. :shock:
Awesome job here, congratulations!

I'd have two questions for you:
1) does this Mod work with CE and other all-around mods? You should really indicate that. FWIK, BP&P needs a patch (and personally it caused me some errors too).
2) can you explain me the last note in the ChangeLog list?

thanks!
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Auron1 wrote:2) can you explain me the last note in the ChangeLog list?

There can exist some identifying data at the beginning of a file, it isn't really required in UTF-8 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark).

It doesn't impact the game, it's just a warning about how some programs may handle (or not) the file.
Ouaz

Postby Ouaz » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Auron1 wrote:1) does this Mod work with CE and other all-around mods? You should really indicate that. FWIK, BP&P needs a patch (and personally it caused me some errors too).

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot this (OP updated).

So, no, this mod is not compatible with any other mod that modifies the events_imageList.xml file (the file that specifies which image is displayed, how, and when, for planets and backgrounds) > CE and Shiny! UI Overhaul, mainly.

It works with all others graphical (or non-graphical) mods: HighRes Shields, Detailed Ship Greebles Graphics, Detailed Crew Portrait Graphics, diversityMod 0.5, etc.

For Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1, I didn't study further why it caused crashes, but I think it comes from some new image files weirdly named (like z_x.01.bg_nebula_13.png).

For my part, I only used the 1.2.1 version (without Hubble backgrounds) and never installed the 1.3.1.
Last edited by Ouaz on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avalanche Yetti

Postby Avalanche Yetti » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Such a beautiful background mod! Really great job this adds a great new atmosphere to the game. Thanks a lot fo doing this since the other background mods weren't working for me for whatever reason.
golf1biker2

Postby golf1biker2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:04 am

Do you offer the backgrounds in .jpg format or .png? I really want to use these as desktop backgrounds, omg
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:15 pm

golf1biker2 wrote:Do you offer the backgrounds in .jpg format or .png? I really want to use these as desktop backgrounds, omg

all the backgrounds are in .png format. they make excellent desktop backgrounds :D
Chronosplit

Postby Chronosplit » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Would this happen to be compatible with BPaP's separate mod for asteroids?
splette

Postby splette » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 am

Hey there. I haven't checked the forums in ages, though still playing FTL regularly (Steam claims it's been 1800+ hours). So, I just saw your hybrid mod now. I love it. I am using this now... :mrgreen:
Ouaz

Postby Ouaz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Chronosplit wrote:Would this happen to be compatible with BPaP's separate mod for asteroids?

A very late reply, but if you mean this "Better Asteroids" mod (here), it is compatible with HighRes Backgrounds & Planets (opening post edited).

"Better Asteroids" just replaces lightning.png and low_asteroid.png image files, and the 13 image files in the asteroids image folder.

The mod doesn't modify events_imageList.xml file, so there is no conflict, you can install it safely.

@splette: you're welcome!