First toughts on FTL (I'm not pew pewing anyone)

General discussion about the game.
bigbangnet

Re: First toughts on FTL (I'm not pew pewing anyone)

Postby bigbangnet » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 pm

LostInTheWired wrote:
RynCage wrote:If you never upgrade your doors then it does become an issue since you can wittle them down by opening airlocks and suffocating them. The next best thing you can do is shack up in your med bay and hope they walk in and fight to the death. Certain weapons like bombs that you can use to target your own ship can be a big factor in taking down invaders.
But as long as you have level 2 doors, you can typically deal with any organic invaders easily. As long as you can keep the enemy ships weapons shut down. If not, then you just werent ready for that fight/ unlucky/ try again.

This was quite recent. Lvl2 doors. They teleported into 3 different rooms, one of them being door control, the other shields. It's absurd to think that there is no prevention or recourse to defend yourself against it. Immediately losing systems to it, you have no defense.

That happens to me lots of times for some odd reason. Maybe it's my bad luck. They seem to teleport all over the place which makes it difficult. When that happens and what makes this really difficult is the fact that the ship isn't stopping from using is weapons at the same time as the boarding party is going nuts on you.

So when you go in the med bay or concentrate in a room, obviously your crew isn't at his station which leads to less of a bonus to help you win against that enemy ship. This is whats very difficult.

Come to think of it, I have more trouble with boarding parties and dying that anything else as what could kill me in the game.
LostInTheWired

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:42 pm

bigbangnet wrote:
LostInTheWired wrote:This was quite recent. Lvl2 doors. They teleported into 3 different rooms, one of them being door control, the other shields. It's absurd to think that there is no prevention or recourse to defend yourself against it. Immediately losing systems to it, you have no defense.

That happens to me lots of times for some odd reason. Maybe it's my bad luck. They seem to teleport all over the place which makes it difficult. When that happens and what makes this really difficult is the fact that the ship isn't stopping from using is weapons at the same time as the boarding party is going nuts on you.

So when you go in the med bay or concentrate in a room, obviously your crew isn't at his station which leads to less of a bonus to help you win against that enemy ship. This is whats very difficult.

Come to think of it, I have more trouble with boarding parties and dying that anything else as what could kill me in the game.

I have to agree. The only things I die from are massive boarding parties, except the one time I made it to the endgame and got blown out of the sky. The boarding parties are just absurd sometimes.
The New Romance

Postby The New Romance » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm

This game is made for dying, and that's just what we'll do ;)

Sorry. No, really, the game is hard, but practice makes perfect. I've managed to defeat the boss on Normal twice in 51 hours of playtime, but that was really worth it. The first few hours everyting seemed to be stacked against me, but the game gets easier when you're more experienced. You're still gonna die, but you will get better.

During the beta, FTL has already been made a little easier, and I don't think making it even more forgiving would be in the spirit of the game. It's also far too early to judge if you've only gotten your hands on it two days ago, I'd say from experience (because I was thinking the same thing after two days, but wait a week and see if you're still that helpless... I believe not ;) ).
zabbo2

Postby zabbo2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I find it so odd how many people are not fans of the game's difficulty. I must be an odd gamer, because I think the difficulty of the game is one of things that I really like most about FTL. In fact, I wish it was harder, as I can beat it most of the times I play now.
bigbangnet

Postby bigbangnet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Hard to tell when you say the game is not hard enough. It seriously depends on your ship most of all. Just using the kestrel is challenging enough. Also, since most events are random, one can say you got a good luck moment when you play the game...on my side, I think I'm cursed lol. But I do like the challenge the game provides me though since I haven't seen that in a while
Caliph

Postby Caliph » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm in the same boat as the OP. But after playing several hours I did learn some tips that have helped.

Upgrade your doors. For 20 scrap its well worth it and can really save you when boarded. I used to get boarded and have them run amok throughout the whole of my ship. With the level 2 doors they can't just run amok, they have to spend time getting through them.

You are going to lose. A lot. Try not to get too frustrated, figure out what you could have done better and try again.
Some playthroughs it does seem like all is stacked against you. I've had several where the only auments/weapons I got were ones I bought at stores, and I've had other games where I kept on getting free augments and could use all my scrap on upgrading my systems. You can play either way, of course being lucky helps make for an easier time.

You have to watch your hull. I had several times where I had to spend my stock of scrap that I was saving for that transporter to repair the hull because it was less than 25% and I wouldn't survive another encounter otherwise.

This game is hard, but that is what I love about it. It just makes the times when you are successfull that more satisfying.