Challenger Cruiser [SHIP]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ThePersonFromSteam

Challenger Cruiser [SHIP]

Postby ThePersonFromSteam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:06 am

4 Specimen has chosen if they can get to the Flagship and defeat it with little to none of a ship, You and only you can guide them threw the dangers of Nebula's, The Great Pirate Mantis, and The Second Flagship.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/183uhbcagnq8a2i/Challenger+Crusier.ftl
Download v2: https://www.mediafire.com/?uanh5dmsulndjz2
Download v3: https://www.mediafire.com/?eoxlz2cwt5yj796
Do not download v3 unless your prepared

Last edited by ThePersonFromSteam on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Code: Select all

Okayish Modder, and a terrible splicer; but i did throw my share in Project Coal, and helped in Multiverse.
swimmingcop

Re: Challenger Cruiser

Postby swimmingcop » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30 am

I played with this ship for a little, and these are my thoughts:

pros: it looks awesome. Seriously, nice job making the thing, love by the different designs blend together
artillery system and beam spam can slice ships apart, especially with the ion weapon

cons: the ship isn't entirely connected. The mantis in the shields system can't get to the rest of the ship because the rooms aren't connected, dunno if that's intentional.
It's difficult, which isn't bad at all since a challenge is great, but it's difficult to use this ship for odd reasons. There's no defensive abilities at the start, engines grant barely any evasion, and it's 100 scrap to the first shield bubble. The weapon system is robust but maybe that's part of the issue, considering adding a system or two while taking away a beam and giving a lower-power ion weapon, or taking away 2 beams? I'm not sure what would be best for balanced, but my current thoughts are this ship is too much offense and too little defense, even considering you're not supposed to start with much.

But yeah, the doors thing is the only major issue I have with this ship. Everything else is a matter of balance. I was pretty shocked when there wasn't even a door or medbay system. I think all this ship really needs is some fine tuning for starting systems and weapons. Also when you start the game and select the ship the little preview window for it is blank, but it's hardly critical. Overall, great ship, could use some balance patches. Excellent work.
ThePersonFromSteam

Re: Challenger Cruiser

Postby ThePersonFromSteam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:44 pm

1. I did not know there was a door missing for the mantis its fixed now
2. Its supposed to be a challenge that's why sensors and doors do not exist
3. i added another bar for the Shields
4. im very tired sense im replying to you at 5 in the morning
5. add another ion weapon
7. I skipped number 6
8. engine is Upped

Okayish Modder, and a terrible splicer; but i did throw my share in Project Coal, and helped in Multiverse.
swimmingcop

Re: Challenger Cruiser [SHIP]

Postby swimmingcop » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Alrighty, well I played again and this is my feedback so far.

I actually do like the challenge from there not being doors, sensors, or a medbay. The last of which caused me some troubles in sector one when some guys fired a missile at my oxygen room, caused a breach, and had already sent boarders so I couldn't fix it without sacrificing crew. Definitely make the run more exciting.

Love the weapons but again, while it feels like you don't need to add any more defensive options, it does seem like there's an overabundance of offensive options. I went from always taking hull damage in a fight at the first bunch of beacons in sector one to instantly demolishing ships in sectors 2 and 3 because I only spent scrap on upgrading the artillery beam, engines, and later shields, since the ship starts out with a lot of excess reactor power. I even took down a rebel cruiser at the end of sector 2.

Normally I would say three ship augmentations are a lot, but in this case the titanium casing helped with keeping the ship in action to the point where fights were fair for the most part. No complaints/thoughts that it needs to be balanced.

Overall, my thoughts are that this ship is a lot of fun to play as, so kudos for making it work. It does kind of rely on the player getting lucky to find a store that sells a medbay or a clonebay rather early on, or even thinking outside the box like using a heal bomb, but I think that frankly it's part of the charm and there's not much you could do to balance that, short of adding one in, but that kind of defeats the purpose of making it a challenge. For more difficulty you could reduce the reactor power available, although not by much since most, if not all of the scrap the player earns would be going to engines, the main gun, and some type of healing system, you probably shouldn't reduce it by a lot.

By the way, I didn't win with this, died on sector 6, but it's been a long time and I was never that good to begin with, so this ship is totally winnable with a little practice. All in all it's pretty great as it is, challenging but fun and requires thinking to fights.

PS Happy 50th post!
ThePersonFromSteam

Re: Challenger Cruiser [SHIP]

Postby ThePersonFromSteam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 pm

All of the Problems you said is now fixed play v3 now