[FTL RP, DEAD] FTL: The Shadow Era

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
JakeCollins

Re: [FTL RP, GAME BEGUN!] FTL: The Shadow Era

Postby JakeCollins » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 pm

elijahdb wrote:Ok, so I have easy_money on my ship, and that's it from the RPers, right? Just wanted to check before I make my crew.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's it!

Error heard the captain, and assumed the other captains agreed with the decision. He selected Option 1 in the computer, and they sped off through hyperspace
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:41 am

Catching up on all that has passed.

No response. Creeybo sent the hail again to no avail. Something must be wrong with the setup, right? Why else would there be no response? Creeybo sighed, and declared "Well, it looks like no one's answering the hail. Perhaps it's better to meet in person--" Creeybo cut off, wondering if she could be classified as a person. What was she? The ever eternal existential questioning came into play... No, who am I?

In the time Creeybo pondered that thought -- approximately 1.36 seconds -- Creeybo noticed Error had since scampered away into the bowels of the ship -- understandable, speaking wasn't exactly the Engi's forte.

Creeybo intercepted an audio message, strangely familiar in some way, but Creeybo couldn't quite tell why. Anyways, the message was more or less an announcement of a briefing on the entire reason everyone was present, to be held in the cargo bay of the lumbering rock freighter. Sure, she had read the mission outline, giving general details of their mission, but it hadn't been specific enough. Who were these beings from what felt like another dimension, what was their mission, and what would everyone present do about it?
Unfortunately, these were questions nobody had any answers to...

Later, after the briefing...

So, the briefing was a re-iteration of the mission outline, but now their mission had actually begun. There would need to be repairs, and inevitably preparing the ship for departure in other ways. Creeybo's thoughts immediately focused fully on the dysfunctional system aboard the stealth cruiser (the flagship. Creeybo had trouble understanding what that even meant, but now wasn't the time for such trivial questions) that could barely be called a medical facility. Knowing it held the immediate key to his survival in case of danger, Creeybo set to work fixing it up, all the while terribly frustrated they couldn't have anything better aboard their flagship. At least it was something. Of course, Creeybo noticed other crewmembers aboard to help out in repairs, but they were only temporarily aboard, and more importantly, hard at work on other systems, but clearly none of them knew what "crucial" meant.

Later, about three hours later...

After a significant chunk of time and much grumbling, Creeybo fixed up the medbay, along with helping out crewmembers elsewhere (after all, many repairs had to be done, and only a few crew could be spared to their ship). With everything in good enough shape, the temporary crewmembers disembarked back to the two other ships.

Creeybo felt something, ah yes, a message, but noticed it was encrypted with the highest level security. Evidently, not meant for everyone's eyes. Creeybo did however notice a jump order thereafter, and she could feel her entire ship warp as it leaped into hyperspace... Creeybo had indeed forgotten what that felt like while mentally melded with the sensor array...
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:07 am

The fleet dropped out of FTL, and began maneuvering towards the location of the military base.

Once Error felt the ship stop at the base's coordinates, he scuttled twoards the window. Empty space. He crawled to the other window, on the other side of the engine room. Empty space. He crawled to the window in the front of the engine room. Empty space. He crawled under the engine and wiped away the grime on the downward facing window. Empty space. This doesn't make sense. No matter how the ship is facing, I should be able to see the military station

He pushed himself over to the communications terminal. "This is chief engineer Error. Unable to get visual on destination. Requesting report from sensor array, so I can verify we are at the right location. FTL Navigation computer seems fully functional, but I request a report from the sensor to verify location."
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:57 am

Creeybo felt the ship drop out of hyperspace, warping back to normal. And no, it didn't make any sense, most especially to Creeybo, but Creeybo had come to accept her gift rather than fumble around looking for an explanation. Quite disorienting though, and so the meld with the sensor array had to be restarted. With the link back online, she ran a basic short-range scan of the surroundings -- she could move around and take a look, but why bother? The scan revealed absolutely nothing, except for the same old negligible cosmic radiation and long-forgotten radio-waves hurdling through space, and Creeybo wondered why they had warped out to here...

The sensors subsystem had been boosted the tiniest bit after the recent ship-wide repairs, well, "recent" in humanoid-terms. For Creeybo's processing power, it was ages of that monotonous yet frustrating repair, to sub-par systems, and that forsaken thing that could barely be called a Medbay, and then the rest of the systems were in disrepair, all broken and cluttered...

Creeybo took her station at the sensor array. Sure it wasn't exactly necessary, given her ability to feel the ship's sensors and thereby the ship, but nonetheless the physical subsystem had a sort of familiarity that put her at ease. Just then, a request for a sensor sweep came through with the signature, 'Error':
"This is chief engineer Error. Unable to get visual on destination. Requesting report from sensor array, so I can verify we are at the right location. FTL Navigation computer seems fully functional, but I request a report from the sensor to verify location."

A report huh? But what was the 'destination'? Such a crucial detail had not been forwarded her way, and so it seemed only right to ask her superior officer, Badgers.

It was time to move. Creeybo left the sensors station and went into Piloting, and abruptly said, "Hey Captain Badgers, it seems I'm supposed to make a sensor report regarding confirmation of our destination, but that's just it -- what is our destination? I didn't even know we were going anywhere until I felt the ship leap into a jump."
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 pm

"Ah." Badgers hadn't thought of the clueless crew members. He opened up to the entire comm system and explained. "We were given three beacons to go to, I picked the first, which is assisting a Federation Military Base. They have unidentified energy waves coming from inside. Creeybo, please make a sensor sweep of the area so we can find this Federation outpost."
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Meanwhile, Error monitored the communications through the ship. He pressed the talk button.

"Just from me looking out the window, it seems as if the outpost does not exist. I have checked the Nav computer over and over again- we ARE in the right spot. I also did some research on this base in the Federation Database. It's supposedly a very large, well armored space station. At THESE coordinates! It can't just disappear from the universe without a trace!"
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
The sensors subsystem had been boosted the tiniest bit after the recent ship-wide repairs, well, "recent" in humanoid-terms. For Creeybo's processing power, it was ages of that monotonous yet frustrating repair, to sub-par systems, and that forsaken thing that could barely be called a Medbay, and then the rest of the systems were in disrepair, all broken and cluttered...

"For an android, a second is an eternity." -Data

For Ressa, the time flew by. Repairs and preparations took a long time, but afterwards they seemed like an eternity ago. The first beacon they had jumped to seemed desolate, which Ressa sensed as being wrong, at least to Error. When he came on over the comms, Ressa's suspicion was confirmed. He moved toward the window and peered out, seeing nothing. It was then that he realized he sensed nothing. Nobody. At least... His thoughts were interrupted by Error coming on again. There was supposed to be a military base here. That should be a lot of people. This was disturbing, to put it lightly.

Ressa focused again on the expanse outside his small window. He pressed his comm button and spoke: "Ssir, there may be no basse here, but we are not the only oness here. I would advisse caution."
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Error was staring into the console in the Engine room, which he had patched in to sensor data. A blank, navy blue screen, with a pulsating brown oval (the Rock ship's energy signature radiating from its reactor) in the center. Next to it there were orange and blue pulsating circles, the Rebel and Stealth ships energy signatures. Suddenly, a wave of green energy rippled from the top left corner of the screen. This wave of light-green energy swooshed across the screen and dissipated on the far side of the scanner window. As it passed over the fleet, there was a the Rock ship shuddered slightly. Error flipped on the comm unit.

"Unknown energy signature detected from quadrant A10 on the sensor grid! Error to Creeybo, requesting analysis from Sensor station." He screamed

Then, he rushed to the window. There, from seemingly no where, there was some kind of ship. It was a shiny black series of spheres, stuck together. In between the tough looking spheres, there was a squishy looking dark purple material. Could this ship be... organic? A living ship? It would make sense. The black spheres served as a hard exterior casing for the ship. Error had read files on Zoltan research into bio-engineering ships - but it had lead no where.

Error ran back to the console. There was a new icon on the screen, in the top left - where the strange energy had come from. Error opened ship-wide comms. "Unknown vessel detected. Error to Creeybo, requesting analysis from Sensor station. Suggestion: Forget the energy signature for now, focus on scanning the new ship! Error to Captain Badgers, awaiting orders."

While Error waited anxiously for orders, he couldn't help but notice an energy signature building up onboard the unknown spacecraft. Was it charging weapons?
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Captain Badgers asserted the situation rapidly. They had warped to the correct coordinates, but there was no ship. Suddenly, a strange ship appeared, covered in black orbs with purple goo mushed into the cracks. "All hailing frequencies," He commanded. "Only attack if the ship attacks back. Ressa, what is it, one large living entity or a ship containing multiple?"
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 am

The feeling, if you could call it that, grew stronger as the ship approached. Ressa answered the captain: "In a way it sseemss to be both. The ship itsself iss organic at leasst. It doessn't appear to have any complex intelligence, but the crew doess. There sseemss to be an average of ten of them... I don't know how they're doing it, but they sseem to meld with the ship. As they appear are dissappear, they sseem to add their consscioussnesss or intelligence to the ship itsself. It's extremely dissorienting. That'ss all I can tell at thiss disstance, though."