One final chance: An FTL-RP

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Frosty

Re: One final chance: An FTL-RP

Postby Frosty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:56 pm

i read back and i believe Nazia is a Lanius? please correct me if i am wrong. x:

Whyte walked behind the drone as it spouted off pre-programmed information about the ship. Truthfully, she was only half-listening, preferring instead to look around the ship with eyes that sparkled with childlike wonder. She still got a bit of a thrill when she realized: I'm working here! I'm part of a mission!
Even if that mission was on the sketchier side. However, Whyte's allegiance was to her people first, and her morals second. The Federation was hers to defend, human and Mantis, Engi and Zoltan, Rockman and Lanius. Growing up in a military environment had left the young captain with a white and orange patriotic streak.
"... was engineered for a specific mission in the year of..."

It lost Whyte's attention again when someone trudged by, albeit so quietly Whyte almost mistook them for an AI hologram.

A hollow "hello" played through her translator, almost too faint to be picked up accurately.
"Good day, my name is W-- oh. See you later, I suppose!" Whyte called after the figure. It had wide shoulders and blades on its arms. A Lanius. Whyte noted that she could still breath just fine. Is that Lanius a diplomat? They've got special suits and whatnot to prevent them for suffocating all of us aerobic creatures. Kind of a rarity, but I'm not gonna complain about being able to breathe!

The drone had gone on ahead without her. "This engine room was built with the Zoltan-inspired S-X 1003-B core processor for its speed and efficient fuel cell usage..." it recited as it rounded the corner, its robotic voice fading with distance.
Whyte hurried into the engine room to keep up with her guide. The automatic doors opened to reveal an engine room that had obviously been renovated a time or two. A patchwork of equipment new and old had been stitched together to form... something. It seemed to work though. The Mantis manning the engines was sitting with a box on the desk next to him. Kr, the green Mantis. A nasty-looking scar ran the length of his neck. Whyte wondered what this Mantis had been through.

Something light and pleasant was drifting through the room. It was a recording of someone speaking, but with rhythm and background noise that seemed to compliment the rhythmic speaking. Her translator had trouble with the language.
Wait.... do I know that language? She took off her headset and let it rest on her neck so she could better hear the sounds coming from the box.
Whyte gasped. I do know this language!
"don't destroy this station? did you just assume that the Pimpwagon cares about what you want??"
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Kr looked up when the door opened. The drone's monotone voice listed off facts about the room, but Whyte seemed more interested in the music the old box was putting out. He thought the music was strange. Mantis music, in the rare occasions it was made, resembled their language: angry sounding, many hisses and clicks, and the lyrics often told a battle story. This was upbeat and was meaningless to Kr, but still pleasant to listen to.

Whyte had taken off her translating headset and was listening intently. She seemed surprised, but Kr was obviously a mantis and reading facial expressions across species was still hit or miss even after years of being around each other. He took a chance, "You recognize this? What's it saying?"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:34 am

The drone jolted to attention instantly on sight of the box.

"What's that thing? I'll be honest, I've never seen that before."

After further inspection, it was clear this was never meant to be on the ship.

"Well, it's ours, but what is it? Here, let me see if the database has anything."

The ship scanned the object. Nothing came up except for a few articles describing some executions about witches on the human's home planet.

"That doesn't help. Can you translate the message, Whyte?"
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:42 am

This is a final notice.

If there are no objections within a general span of time, I am closing the RP.

This has been amazing, and I wish we could go further, but everything is slowing down. I know people will admire this huge story for a while, and I'm proud of that, but we've gone through so many people and characters that there is nowhere left to go. I know that you might hate me for cutting it off, but I have ideas for other works. Over the span of almost 900 posts, we told an improvised story full of wonder and cooperation. No victory, roleplay, or game of FTL-Flavored DnD, no matter how amazing and fun, could possibly top that.

This will stand as a testament. We will be the crew of a story unbelievable, a story exclusive to us and us alone.

We are the writers, the players, the actors, the directors, the characters, the story, and the heart and soul of this operation. That is something that cannot be taken away.

And remember,
Giant alien spiders are no joke.

Goodnight.

One final time.
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:03 am

This roleplay is closed.

Just know: This roleplay will be a badge for the few of us who stuck from start to finish, and everyone in-between. 90 pages full of 893 posts total. Those numbers will never be beaten in this forum, or anything similar.

I wish all of you the best of luck in your continuing writing.

Thank you.
"Blamsauce!"
Phantom332

Postby Phantom332 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:42 pm

R.I.P. this RP.
I agree dyno.You guys did such an awesome job with this RP. Tho i didnt participate,i read and waited for every update with excitement and happiness.I wish you guys all have pleasant experiences with other rps in the future.
BTW if you choose to rp again call me up.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:36 pm

awesome. good job getting to the end.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 am

dyno101 wrote:90 pages full of 893 posts total. Those numbers will never be beaten in this forum, or anything similar.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32180&start=880

*cries*
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
I_am_person

Postby I_am_person » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:46 am

elijahdb wrote:
dyno101 wrote:90 pages full of 893 posts total. Those numbers will never be beaten in this forum, or anything similar.

http://www.subsetgames.com/forum/viewto ... &start=880

*cries*

Apparently more people have read this so far, though. The view count is still far above anything else.
Injustice Rains From Above!
dyno101

Thanks.

Postby dyno101 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 am

I don't want to make this overly sentimental. I'll keep it brief.

This RP is reaching its 3rd year anniversary - its death will reach its 3rd year anniversary a while after that. I still can't believe how long it lasted and how many people stuck it through. This one work, this one piece of fiction based off another piece of fiction, has reached a current 185 thousand views. I had a bit of a moment when I read that number again. Nothing I'll ever do might top that. I can't believe how many people decided to stop by here and for how long we continued the story. Thank you to everyone who stopped by, and to everyone who participated. You made this story what it was far more than I ever could have.

I don't really have anything super-amazing to report, but I can say that this role-play is mostly responsible for my continued interest in writing. That interest may never produce anything - at least, anything past this - but it's been a hobby to me for a while. It's a little strange to read what I wrote now, as it goes for everyone. I know I messed up a lot and that I still mess up a lot now, but you guys stuck through it, even with the growing plot holes. I know I certainly caused more than my fair share of issues. Quintet was very heavy-handed, and I realize that now.

FTL is still one of my favorite games of all time. I own Into the Breach and love it, but as it goes with any classic like this there's just nothing that can really take its place. I hope Subset continues their work, and that they keep making things they love to make. It's certainly what I love to play.

I'll never stop loving science fiction, fiction, or narrative itself. Thanks for making this entire story as amazing as it was, and thank you to everyone who tuned in. One Final Chance was made by you.

And, of course,

Giant alien spiders are no joke.
"Blamsauce!"