Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
The Captain

Re: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod

Postby The Captain » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:18 pm

I actually recently paid attention to a Sector 8 encounter's text, when it's usually no battle?/continue. I didn't even realize that Federation Fleets Near Beacon has multiple texts signifying nothing. In particular the one with "A battalion of Federation fighters are fighting around a nearby moon with their carriers waiting in the distance. ..."

If you feel like changing it, I suggest "squadron" for 'battalion,' which is a unit of ground troops, "is engaged in battle" instead of 'are fighting,' to avoid fighters fighting, and "its carrier" instead of plural.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:59 am

(using the version from the wiki page)

I noticed the slightest of typo's when going through and comparing Russian text to vanilla in my Arsenal+ translation.

anyways, if you go to events.xml and search "healty" (yes, misspelled on purpose), you'll notice that it shows up. It's like this in vanilla, which is probably why it wasn't ever seen. I came and looked through your mod for this same section to see how you changed the words a little, if you even did, which is how I chanced upon it.

also, on the wiki it says there is a version 2.4.1 and there is a link to it, but on this forum page it says version 2.4.0. just wondering if that was a typo and there isn't actually a version difference or if version 2.4.1 should be here.

:mrgreen:
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Super late response, but:

Tyler799 wrote:Just want to talk about the Slug B, which I still feel is terrible.

It's meant to be a boarder, at least at first. However, it lacks a medbay, or a clonebay.

Slug B is a weaker ship that's also hard to play. It's certainly not the weakest ship in the game, but one of the hardest to use well.

Medbay and Clone Bay are cheaper in the Balance Mod which makes it more viable to switch and a little easier for this ship starting off; they're very common in stores, about a 70% chance of seeing one. You can also use a Reconstructive Teleporter instead of either if you find one.

Learning good boarding strats is essential to doing well with the Slug B; I've got a few videos that would be helpful in my Tips & Tricks series.

Tyler799 wrote:If you're very lucky, early-game you'll find easy ships that only take 2 healing bursts to take down.

You should not be using 2 Healing Bursts - this is a big part of why you're running out of missiles so quickly. Most fights you'll be facing 2 other crew in Sector 1/2 (some ships will have 3). It's okay to start a fight a little hurt (at say 85 HP or whatever) - this is how you converse missiles. Using The Safety Dance will help you take on 3+ crew and also pull pilot away to heavily increase the chance of your Heal Bombs landing.

Tyler799 wrote:Now let's say we get unlucky and come across something tougher in Sector 2. A simple defense drone 1, and a medbay. Weapons on the enemy might be minimal at best.

Your boarding isn't going to do anything while the medbay is still up.

This kind of situation is unfortunately common even in the earlier sectors.

This is only going to happen on Rebel Riggers and Engi ships, I believe - it's fairly uncommon. Sometimes you just need to run from a fight and that's fine. Alternatively, you can consider boarding with more than 2 crew if you want, especially if you've upgraded Teleporter. You could potentially punch down their Drone System to remove the Defense Drone, or have 2-3 people fighting their guys in the Shield room while another one of your guys is punching down the Medbay.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
isla

Postby isla » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Twinge wrote:Super late response, but [...]

(Just a note to say I don't know why this post was flagged by the anti-spam system. It should be fixed now, though. Sorry about that.)
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 pm

isla wrote:(Just a note to say I don't know why this post was flagged by the anti-spam system. It should be fixed now, though. Sorry about that.)

I've gotten that with every post or edit I've made (not that I've made that many) for the past year or two, actually. No idea why.

The Captain wrote:If you feel like changing it, I suggest "squadron" for 'battalion,' which is a unit of ground troops, "is engaged in battle" instead of 'are fighting,' to avoid fighters fighting, and "its carrier" instead of plural.

Fixed.

mr_easy_money wrote:I noticed the slightest of typo's [] "healty"

Fixed.

mr_easy_money wrote:on the wiki it says there is a version 2.4.1, but on this forum page it says version 2.4.0.

Fixed - just me not updating this thread. As you can tell by my slow responses I haven't been following it too closely since it wasn't generally getting many replies =)

I've also updated the mod again with a small text fix (Laser Charger small text was displaying incorrectly) and a handful of additional tweaks (mostly making good stuff slightly more expensive).

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Twinge wrote:
mr_easy_money wrote:on the wiki it says there is a version 2.4.1, but on this forum page it says version 2.4.0.

Fixed - just me not updating this thread. As you can tell by my slow responses I haven't been following it too closely since it wasn't generally getting many replies =)

uh, the forum page text of the link says 2.4.3, but when you click it you still get the 2.4.0 version. if you go to your page on it-is-law.com it has the right, latest version (2.4.3).
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Twinge wrote:... and a handful of additional tweaks (mostly making good stuff slightly more expensive).

ARGH! /shakes fist

Also, the file linked in the first post seems to be the old one, but I got the current one from your page.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:53 pm

The Captain wrote:Also, the file linked in the first post seems to be the old one, but I got the current one from your page.

huh. I was going to say the exact same thing in a reply yesterday, except it was apparently flagged by that same anti-spam system :cry:

weird things be goin' on. :?

:edit; oh, so now it gets approved after the fact :roll:
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 am

Updated to 2.6.0.

* Kestrel C has been remade in attempt to make it feel unique from other ships (currently it's very similar to the Lanius A). It features pretty weak weaponry to start, but with the ability to easily run from fights, dive the Rebel Elites, and often get crew kills. Still a work in progress and I'm still up for other possible ideas for this; let me know what you think.
* The Rebel Flagship now only has Level 2 Hacking and Mind Control when playing on Easy difficulty - this softens the ridiculous difficulty jump.
* Stealth B now starts with System Casing (which only sells for 20 now).
* Fire Drones are slightly weaker and more expensive but only require 2 power.
* FTL Recharge Booster effect up to 55%.
* FTL Jammer effect up to 300%.
* Several weak augments even cheaper.
* 2 new Lifeform Scanner blue options.
* Burst 2 is rarer.
* Burst 3 even cheaper.
* Chain Laser cooldown reduced.
* Mantis Crew cheaper.
* Dozens of other misc. event, pricing, reward, etc. tweaks.

bamalf

Postby bamalf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:09 am

Twinge wrote:* FTL Jammer effect up to 300%.

It does not work anyway :roll:
Image Image Image