Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 am

Xenaero wrote:I seem to be rather hung up on giving multiple weapons or augmentation rewards to the player in an event. I'm going to assume it's not possible to do in one event block. Are there any examples of an efficient way of doing this? I've done a couple searches but the answer has eluded me. Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe DryEagle's Descent into Darkness mod accomplishes this in the event for the first beacon.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LaytheDragon

Postby LaytheDragon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 am

Could someone please share the steps necessary in modding in an enemy ship after completing and exporting it as a .ftl file from Superluminal?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 am

First you need to make sure that you have indeed created an enemy ship. Player ships won't do, Slipstream has a seperate setting for creating enemy ships. What ships can appear as enemies ingame is governed by bleuprint lists in autoBlueprints.xml. Like this one for example:

Code: Select all

<blueprintList name="SHIPS_ZOLTAN">
   <name>ZOLTAN_FIGHTER</name>
   <name>ZOLTAN_BOMBER</name>
</blueprintList>

To mod in your ship first extract the game data with SMM. Now look at autoBlueprints.xml and decide which ship lists you want the enemy to be part of. Create a autoBlueprints.xml.append file containing those lists, with your ship added to them as a new entry. Like this;

<blueprintList name="SHIPS_ZOLTAN">
   <name>ZOLTAN_FIGHTER</name>
   <name>ZOLTAN_BOMBER</name>

<name>MY_SHIP_ID_FOUND_IN_SHIP_BLUEPRINT</name>
</blueprintList>

(You can influence the likelihood of your ship appearing by adding it multiple times. Entries in lists are selected randomly with equal chance for each entry). Save your .append file and place it in the data folder of your uncompressed ship mod. Re-compress your ship mod into an .flt file and you are done.

If you want to ensure compatibility you can use SMMs advance tags to "inject" your ship into any existing lists. This ensure that your mod does not overwrite lists that have been changed by other mods. SMMs readme explains a little how to use the tags, but if you want details you'll have to ask someone else (I don't have much experience with that stuff).
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 am

LaytheDragon wrote:*snip*
Sleeper Service wrote:If you want to ensure compatibility you can use SMMs advance tags to "inject" your ship into any existing lists. This ensure that your mod does not overwrite lists that have been changed by other mods. SMMs readme explains a little how to use the tags, but if you want details you'll have to ask someone else (I don't have much experience with that stuff).

adding on to this...

here is a link that basically is an example of some of them, viewtopic.php?t=26426 , though I'm not really sure how to implement mod:findComposite. if you search this thread or the slipstream one with one of the mod commands (such as findLike, findWithChildLike, mod:selector, mod:findComposite, etc) you'll probably bump into some knowledge on how to use them correctly. if you find yourself confused on how to use them just ask in this thread with an example and some one will probably sort you out.
Sixfortyfive

Postby Sixfortyfive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the computer terminal glow (manning glow) working correctly on new room layouts?

This is the current version of the mod file for the ship I'm working on right now (playable Rebel Flagship):
http://sixfortyfive.com/temp/ftl/test.ftl

In short, I guess I'm asking why this code in rooms.xml.append doesn't appear to be doing anything:

<roomLayout name="sixfortyfive_room_engines">
   <computerGlow x="5" y="1" dir="UP"/>
</roomLayout>

<roomLayout name="sixfortyfive_room_weapons">
   <computerGlow x="54" y="7" dir="RIGHT"/>
</roomLayout>

The piloting and shield rooms on this ship use standard, unmodified room layouts, and as such, their computer terminals glow properly. Even if I edit those two particular room layouts in this append file (say, by moving the position of the glow effect), those changes get applied and displayed correctly.

However, I haven't figured out a way to get the glow effect to appear for these new room layouts. I've tried specifying the default image set name (name = "glow") in the computerGlow tag. I've tried duplicating the default glow image set and implementing that through Superliminal. No changes seem to take hold, though.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Sixfortyfive wrote:Can anyone help me figure out how to get the computer terminal glow (manning glow) working correctly on new room layouts?

This is the current version of the mod file for the ship I'm working on right now (playable Rebel Flagship):
http://sixfortyfive.com/temp/ftl/test.ftl

In short, I guess I'm asking why this code in rooms.xml.append doesn't appear to be doing anything:

<computerGlow x="5" y="1" dir="UP"/>
</roomLayout>

<roomLayout name="sixfortyfive_room_weapons">
   <computerGlow x="54" y="7" dir="RIGHT"/>
</roomLayout>

The piloting and shield rooms on this ship use standard, unmodified room layouts, and as such, their computer terminals glow properly. Even if I edit those two particular room layouts in this append file (say, by moving the position of the glow effect), those changes get applied and displayed correctly.

However, I haven't figured out a way to get the glow effect to appear for these new room layouts. I've tried specifying the default image set name (name = "glow") in the computerGlow tag. I've tried duplicating the default glow image set and implementing that through Superliminal. No changes seem to take hold, though.

automatically adds 'room_' at the start, renaming your img to 'room_sixfortyfive_room_weapons' and changing the line in the ship blueprint to

<weapons power="8" room="5" start="true" img="room_sixfortyfive_room_weapons">
fixes this.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Can we make an artillery weapon where more system power meant more damage, or more projectiles?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 am

TaxiService wrote:Can we make an artillery weapon where more system power meant more damage, or more projectiles?

I'm pretty sure that's hard-coded, but you could always put in a request to make that happen here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
igneduptoreportabug

Postby igneduptoreportabug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Is there some kind of image that I can use to make my ship look like a "pirate" ship, or are they drawn on when people make these mods?
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 am

igneduptoreportabug wrote:Is there some kind of image that I can use to make my ship look like a "pirate" ship, or are they drawn on when people make these mods?

If you want pirate tattoos on a ship that's only a re-color I can do that for you. :)
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.