[SHIP][AE] Protecting Zoltan Battleship, The Sentinel

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Northern_Warrior

[SHIP][AE] Protecting Zoltan Battleship, The Sentinel

Postby Northern_Warrior » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm

The most powerful Zoltan Battleship ever designed, it makes use of a new kind of technology to power its advanced supershield and weapons.

This time we have a battleship that relies on its supershield for protection. But it's any regular supershield, it's a supershield that recharges instantly and is immune to everything but shield piercing weapons and ions. It has an FTL jammer, preventing the enemy from ever escaping and a no cooldown battery, allowing 4 more power at all times. It does start with 3 power and has to rely on the Zoltan crew and the battery for power.

The pros:

- 4 Zoltan crew and no cooldown battery equals 8 power + the 3 in the reactor
- Its shield is immune to everything but shield piercing weapons and ions. Ions are especially bad, as they disable your shields, making you vulnerable to non shield piercing weapons
- Ion Blast and Mini Beam to start with
- Can install any system you want, except cloaking and clone bay
- FTL Jammer prevents enemies from ever escaping
- Antimatter artillery beam that has the length of a mini beam but does 4 damage, 8 system damage, kills any crew, causes a breach and a fire
- 30 hull, the standard

The cons:

- No airlocks near your most vital systems ( engines, weapons, shields ) and Zoltan crew means boarders are tough to deal with. Shields are the most vulnerable, which is even worse
- Bad against missiles and ions
- Low evade in the beginning and can't get cloaking
- No missiles or drones at the start

Has custom graphics for everything, except gibs. Plan to do those at a later date.

I was actually thinking of making the engines permanently ionized to 1 power, but decided it might be too annoying to get hit by almost every missile and ion. Let me know if it's something that would make it more balanced or not.

As always, load Battleship Arsenal.ftl first, then the other ships. Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1tzgkbem7wuo ... l.rar?dl=0
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP][AE] Protecting Zoltan Battleship, The Sentinel

Postby stylesrj » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Interesting gimmick. I have issues with your choice of sci-fi buzzwords for naming things.

For example, Antimatter Shields. An Antimatter Shield would probably annihilate your ship if something made of matter hit it. So shooting a missile through it would cause an explosion of several nukes as the matter of the missile turns into energy...
Give it a more vague name, like a "Quantum Shield" or "Plasma Shielding"
Although a Plasma Shield would melt missiles on the way through which would probably make them do more damage on impact...

The battery probably works though. I think antimatter has been theorised to work better as a battery than as a reactor.
If not... "Zoltan Battery" probably works.

Antimatter Beam works extremely well though as a weapon. Lots of damage on impact is just about right.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 am

stylesrj wrote:Interesting gimmick. I have issues with your choice of sci-fi buzzwords for naming things.

For example, Antimatter Shields. An Antimatter Shield would probably annihilate your ship if something made of matter hit it. So shooting a missile through it would cause an explosion of several nukes as the matter of the missile turns into energy...
Give it a more vague name, like a "Quantum Shield" or "Plasma Shielding"
Although a Plasma Shield would melt missiles on the way through which would probably make them do more damage on impact...

The battery probably works though. I think antimatter has been theorised to work better as a battery than as a reactor.
If not... "Zoltan Battery" probably works.

Antimatter Beam works extremely well though as a weapon. Lots of damage on impact is just about right.

About the antimatter shield, it's probably bad naming on my part because it's not supposed to be "made" of antimatter, just powered by it which explains the lightning fast recharge time. Perhaps I'll change the name to something less confusing. The only thing actually made of antimatter, not powered by it, is the beam.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

Well, I did a run. Luck wasn't on my side though.

Video Run
Marinealver

Postby Marinealver » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Doesn't look that Zoltan to me. The one thing I noticed about Zoltan ships is that they are very asymmetrical. IMHO the line of symmetry down the middle just doesn't cut it. However with that being said they should be one of the most fun ships to design because you don't have to make them like a ship. You could make them a maze and IMHO a zoltan maze ship is extremely fun to play around in and board.
Warp Drive or Hyperspace?