BWI Bulwark/The Ram/Supercharger

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
randomness5555

BWI Bulwark/The Ram/Supercharger

Postby randomness5555 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Introducing my first (complete) mod, The BWI ship pack!

" Umm, Commander, there's someone here to see you. A young woman, she's here to discuss a donation to the war effort."
"Soldier, why are you telling me this? Tell her to hand whatever it is in at the door. She should know better, the rebels are practically on top of us already."
"Sir, um, I don't think that's possible."
"And why not?"
"Well, for one thing she's not here, she's talking over the coms. And, um... Sir... I don't think these will fit in the store room."
"Fine, I'll bite, let's see what on earth is going on here."
The commander rose, heading across his office and opening the doors onto the main hanger.

"WHAT IN BLAZES IS THAT?!"

Outside, three of the largest ships he'd ever seen were being maneuvered into place inside the dockyard.

The first was red and black. The markings suggested it to be a fuel tanker but he'd never seen armored plating that thick on even battleships. The name markings read 'BWI BULWARK'

The second was a strange shade of green. It looked to be carrying a massive cargo, and the skull of what looked like an old earth sheep was painted across its bow. The name on this read 'THE RAM', with a small inscription underneath reading 'Ramming speed is our only speed!'

The third ship looked quite a bit smaller than the others, but on close inspection that was only because it didn't seem to have any cargo. In fact, a lot of the ships armor seemed to be entirely missing with large sections of the chassis exposed to the elements, but the engines shone like new and the noise from them was spectacular even in the small maneuvers it was making to dock. This ships name read 'SUPERCHARGER'

A few minutes later, the commander found himself at the bottom of one of the ladders, as the young lady from the screens was exiting the third ship.

"Captain Random, reporting for duty Sir!" she told him, arm snapping to a Salute of a type the commander did not recognize. "I'm here as a representative of Blue Witch Industries to donate these three vessels to the war effort!"
"Forgive me, but you don't look like the CEO of a company that size. Under who's authority are you donating these?"
"My own Sir. I'm the highest ranking member of the company. All the other directors are dead Sir."
"Ah... I'm sorry to hear that. Now, I have a request-could you inform me a little better on the weapon armaments for these craft? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with some of these unique pieces."
"I have the internal plans for these three ships here Sir. As for the weapons, on the Bulwark is an 'Ion laser' Sir."
"Pull the other one, you can't ionize a laser!"
"I don't know how it works either Sir but trust me, it does. As for the Ram, that is a Capacitor Laser. A bit of a specialty for the BWI those, we use very high power capacitors to store energy instead of the big generators that most would. It takes a while to charge up but doesn't need much input. It's good for long haul ships like these that weren't going to be in combat a lot. The beam on the Supercharger runs on the same principle."
"Well well, I'll be interested to see more about those. What state are those three ships currently in?"
"They're all crewed and ready. The Ram and the Bulwark have large quantities of supplies on board. All of it is at the Federations command-on one condition Sir."

"And that is?"
"I wish to remain as Captain on board the Supercharger Sir. I know that ship better than anyone, I made a lot of the modifications myself. I believe I would be the best choice for her pilot."
"Agreed. Welcome to the Federation, Captain..."

Credit to Kartoflane for his ship editor, without which this... probably would still have been possible but would have been a million times harder. Your program's awesome dude, thanks!
A little credit goes to the Fregitadae. (I stole its red paint. And black paint actually. and a tiny bit of it's engines but shhhh!)
And last, a shout out to my little bro who's helped me bug-test the three.

EXTRA NOTE: I know there's a handfull of bugs across these three. The supercharger's Gibs don't move and the cloaking generates what looks like a missing texture bug but the three do work fine in game. Hope you folks enjoy!
(EDIT: Ok, I think these are fixed now but if not, feel free to let me know)
EXTRA NOTE NO2: Finally fixed that missing door at the ship's font-end. Special Thanks to Biohazard for playing with them on youtube-you can find that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqz7WH2emJQ
EXTRA NOTE NO3: And, due to some feedback from said video, sheilds will now start on LV2 instead of 1 when
bought.
EXTRA NOTE NO4: Ok, after the feedback I've gotten, I've adjusted the balance on the Ram. It was on the overpowered side, so it now only has one titanium system doodad and to fit the 'keeps going in the worst situations' theme, I replaced one repair drone with an AP drone, because if FTL has bad situations, it's when a boarding team is wreaking havoc when you're already barely keeping up). (Also someone suggested it, I think it's a good idea and it's my ship soo...)

These three ships replace the Kestral A,B and C respectively.

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6eh4g83xljun ... 7.ftl?dl=0
Last edited by randomness5555 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
NarnKar

Re: BWI Bulwark-Armour Focused Ship

Postby NarnKar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Welcome to the modding forums!

I don't play FTL too much any more, I only visit these forums once a month, I've got a bunch of mods I abandoned (whoops sorry I swear I'll get back to them soon). Just wanted to say, that's some nice pixel art you have for your ship, and a decent concept (much better than "overpowered kestrel #37").

Minor point of feedback: What's the starting loadout of missiles/drone parts? That might be helpful to know.
randomness5555

Postby randomness5555 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 pm

NarnKar wrote:
Minor point of feedback: What's the starting loadout of missiles/drone parts? That might be helpful to know.

15 missiles, 5 drone parts. Sorry about the delay, I've had a real hard time getting back onto the forums for some reason. I have updated the ship to buff that to 25 missiles, and add those extra rooms since I've figured out what I was doing wrong there.
randomness5555

Postby randomness5555 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:12 pm

*bump due to big new content update*
Golden_Ftlcool

Re: BWI Bulwark/The Ram/Supercharger

Postby Golden_Ftlcool » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

You said it was complete but i cant seem to find any download link anywhere?
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Golden_Ftlcool wrote:You said it was complete but i cant seem to find any download link anywhere?

it's at the bottom of the page. it seems the author of this mod added an extra space in between so it doesn't show up as one, probably by accident
randomness5555 wrote:Download Link:https: //www.dropbox.com/s/qg7kjzg4czj8dxi/BWI%20Fleet%20V4.ftl?dl=0
Golden_Ftlcool

Postby Golden_Ftlcool » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:58 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
Golden_Ftlcool wrote:You said it was complete but i cant seem to find any download link anywhere?

it's at the bottom of the page. it seems the author of this mod added an extra space in between so it doesn't show up as one, probably by accident
randomness5555 wrote:Download Link:https: //www.dropbox.com/s/qg7kjzg4czj8dxi/BWI%20Fleet%20V4.ftl?dl=0

Thank you i didnt see that
randomness5555

Postby randomness5555 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:

Oops XD. Yes I did. Sorry folks, fixed now.
Offlithium

Postby Offlithium » Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 am

on the Bulwark (Type A) the door between oxygen and the rest of the ship is missing.
randomness5555

Postby randomness5555 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Ok, I'm afraid I can't fix that just yet (my pc is currently in a box, hasn't been set up again yet after getting back from uni) but looks like I'll be setting it up again on Thursday, will take a look at it then. Fixed version maybe out around Sunday? Either way thanks for letting me know.