Mercenary Manhunter [SHIP] [WEAPON]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SentryJumper

Mercenary Manhunter [SHIP] [WEAPON]

Postby SentryJumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Vex Gelar's infamous cruiser was custom built for precision strikes against high profile targets.

Second published mod! I'm seriously happy with this one - finally figured out an error that had been breaking any custom files I tried to implement, so now I can finally get some custom weapons and events up and running.

The ship is meant to be some sort of mercenary/assassin type cruiser. The Bio-Lasers are themed after this; they can two-shot any enemy crew, but can't spread damage across rooms like the Bio-Beam because they're built to take out specific targets. Of course, that shouldn't stop you wiping out entire ship crews anyway.

The 'Vex Gelar' mentioned in the description is given in a little starting event I put together. He's a slug with skill in Piloting and some other things.

Any comments or suggestions on balance, fixes, gameplay and the like are as always greatly appreciated.

Gameplay
stylesrj's run: https://youtu.be/4dU72Uyfauw

Download (Dropbox)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5oyyytauneam ... r.ftl?dl=0

Now has a Type B.
Last edited by SentryJumper on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image ImageImage
Whited

Re: Mercenary Manhunter [SHIP] [WEAPON]

Postby Whited » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:45 pm

For a second published mod, he's a far more polished ship than my two first ones ;)
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm

I've never seen a hull like that one before. Nice work! I'll have to try the ship out :D
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Whited wrote:For a second published mod, he's a far more polished ship than my two first ones ;)

I can't claim it's the second mod I've made - I still have about 8 that are mostly finished but I'm not happy with. :)

elijahdb wrote:I've never seen a hull like that one before. Nice work! I'll have to try the ship out :D

I was aiming for something that looked like it belonged in the game, but not to any particular species. I hope it worked!
Image ImageImage
Whited

Postby Whited » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Looks a bit an Osprey:
and my two ships are below yours :D
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Whited wrote:Looks a bit an Osprey:
and my two ships are below yours :D

I kind of had the ship from Luftrausers in mind while making it, but I can certainly see the resemblance.

Image ImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:14 pm

I gotta give this ship a whirl for a video run at some point. :)
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 pm

stylesrj wrote:I gotta give this ship a whirl for a video run at some point. :)

That would honestly make my day! I hope you don't mind me linking it in the main post if you do. :D
Image ImageImage
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

I did a run of this ship and everything was going really well until the flagship decided to start fires in everywhere that mattered :cry:

It does feel like the anti-bio lasers are a bit on the OP side, maybe tone them down a bit, as once shields are down it's really easy and quick to kill all the crew. compare this with the anti-bio beam which does a max of 60 damage per crew member per swipe (not counting crew members that like to change their mind and run towards the beam for whatever reason). here you can kill most of the crewmembers in that time.

some other things I noticed about the weapon:
you can find them in stores which means their rarity isn't 0. not sure if intentional

they have no "tip" when you hover over them in the inventory screen. for example, "tip_laser" (damaging laser weapons) have this:
"Tip: Each laser shot will be blocked by a single shield bubble, regardless of the laser's damage."

maybe you want to make something so that there is a UI box instead of nothing? it doesn't have to be a tip, it could be lore.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:41 am

I just realised that the ship has only one weapon to take out automated ships and chances are it'll only take out one of them and then you'll be out of missiles and have to run from those fights...
And the game will only spawn automated ship encounters from then on in, thus making the primary weapons worthless.