Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kcd.Spektor

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Small update:

In favour of simplicity and unification, and due to the upcoming interface changes:
Player movement will be changed from WASD(keyboard) to mouse clicking.
Clicking somewhere will make the character go to that location, chars will be opening doors automatically.
New interface will have onscreen buttons for opening system screen, dragging scrap, and toggling combat mode.
Reparing broken systems and extinguishing fire will be automatic.
If cell that you are standing on is part of a room that has a system installed and that system is damaged, your char will auto repair it.
if cell that you are standing on is on fire, or any adjacent cell is on fire, then your char will auto extinguish it.

What do you think of these changes?
Any feed back is appreciated.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:Player movement will be changed from WASD(keyboard) to mouse clicking.

So it will be more like FTL and with multiple chars? Because mouse control for a single char is useless in my opinion.
xNxExOx

Postby xNxExOx » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:Reparing broken systems and extinguishing fire will be automatic.

I am not sure if this will work correctly, what will happens first? Sometimes you need repairing, sometimes extinguishing.
Few examples:
  1. I need one last shot from my 2x2 weapon to destroy enemy, but if I try to extinguish fire, then fire will probably damage system before shoot, but If I Repair system, then there is a high possibility I keep it working for one more shot and then I will have enough time to extinguish all fires.
  2. My ship have only 1 HP then I need to extinguish fires first no mater how many holes in hull I have to prevent damage.
  3. I am running out of Oxygen, Oxygen generator is dead and hole in hull, I want to repair oxygen generator, then repair hull, then extinguish fires, if fires still there after no oxygen period.
And what about combat, clicking on enemy start shooting?, or automatically when enemy is in range?

What about right-click menu:
  • Repair room/system
  • Repair hull
  • Use system
  • Move here
Then you can change the action any time by right-click on character position again and choosing another option.

jrb00001 wrote:So it will be more like FTL and with multiple chars? Because mouse control for a single char is useless in my opinion.

Should be good, but I do not think it will happens any time soon, because multi-character control is something very difficult to implement, from point where you have only one.

This game have potential to be much better than FTL in every aspect someday, have you thinking of dynamic universe size? If the universe generating algorithm will be deterministic, then you can create star map for any location on the go, and save only sectors, where is something, after fight sector will be more or less empty, based on cargo space, so this kind of sector should be reset to empty space after 10 minutes (for example). For new player to connect the seed and actual sector will need to be transferred over network.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Nice

jrb00001 wrote:
kcd.Spektor wrote:Player movement will be changed from WASD(keyboard) to mouse clicking.

So it will be more like FTL and with multiple chars? Because mouse control for a single char is useless in my opinion.

I think this would only be a problem if the game was not true multiplayer. If everyone is their own character you should just have to control your own.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Players will still controll only one char.
Extinguishing fire will have higher prio to repaiing the system.
Adding a menu would only complicate the controls.
Also in combat mode - firing will be automatic.
Most probably combat mode will be like this:
1. You enable combat mode
2. You click on other mobs/players, marking them as targets.
3. Whenever target is in range - you shoot.
xNxExOx

Postby xNxExOx » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:01 pm

I personally extinguishing fire by opening doors :twisted:
And choice between repairing hull or system is very situation related.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:17 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:Players will still controll only one char.
Extinguishing fire will have higher prio to repaiing the system.
Adding a menu would only complicate the controls.
Also in combat mode - firing will be automatic.
Most probably combat mode will be like this:
1. You enable combat mode
2. You click on other mobs/players, marking them as targets.
3. Whenever target is in range - you shoot.

If we can't control more than a single char, there is no need for mouse control. And mouse control as direct control in combat is unusable for me. I tried to play an action game with mouse control more than a year ago and had to give up after 30 minutes because the controls were unusable for me. I hope that doesn't happen to Tachyon.
EmpressLexi

Postby EmpressLexi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 pm

Spektor, sorry to be a pain but could you put a link to the reddit page on the OP of this thread?
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:57 am

EmpressLexi wrote:Spektor, sorry to be a pain but could you put a link to the reddit page on the OP of this thread?

Added.

jrb00001 wrote:If we can't control more than a single char, there is no need for mouse control. And mouse control as direct control in combat is unusable for me. I tried to play an action game with mouse control more than a year ago and had to give up after 30 minutes because the controls were unusable for me. I hope that doesn't happen to Tachyon.

Mouse control is needed for simplicity - so that it is easier for new players to get into the game.
And actually it's not "Mouse" control but rather "Touch" control, so that later it could be transferred to mobile platforms. ;)