[Ship] Camoufdage

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
fdagpigj

[Ship] Camoufdage

Postby fdagpigj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Story and stuff
What is this madness, I actually wrote some shitty lore for a custom ship of mine? :o

After designing the first stealth ships, the engi soon realised that to be invisible, you yourself must not see. As most species rely on vision, they ditched the idea of a living pilot and instead created an advanced AI. So the next iteration of the stealth ship was born and was equipped with powerful short-range sensors. Naturally, a shield generator was still out of the question to keep it as agile and silent (and most importantly, cheap) as possible, and since it would have a cloaking system, drones would not be a requirement either.

As the rebellion raged on and past attempts at contacting the base had apparently failed, this ship would be their last hope, so it better last all its way to the Federation base. It was not doing terribly well during initial tests, and so the zoltan decided to join forces and equipped it with a super shield in hopes of making a near-unbeatable ship with minimal sacrifices.

They were still planning to keep it manned to ensure it stayed in fighting shape until the end. However, when the hour came to send it on its journey, anyone competent enough was needed to fend off the rebels long enough to allow it to even escape the hangar in the first place. And so the autonomous craft would have to be sent out without anyone to maintain it. The medical supplies were instantly put to better use, but there was no time and need to dismount the life support system. Last minute, an engi tossed it a modified bomb in hopes of allowing it to better maintain itself.

Anyways, the basic idea was to create a ship without normal shields but instead both cloaking and zoltan shields, and I decided I might as well make it an AI ship.

Downloads
v1.1:
Dropbox
The only change since 1.0 is that I fixed the door links.
v1.0: Dropbox
(If you need a mirror, do let me know)

Strategy
(I don't even know if that's a good title for this section but can't think of anything better so screw it)
A bit sturdier than the vanilla stealth ships, but also has a somewhat weaker offense (despite the adv. flak being outrageously good in terms of DPSPP (DPS per power) it is still a flak weapon so taking down specific systems is tough, and it's the only offensive weapon it starts with).

Unlike most auto ship mods out there, this one doesn't start with drone control. However drone control is normally needed for two things, speeding up repair times so you don't have to wait eleven years after every rough battle, and dealing with lanius boarders (or other boarders, if your doors fail or whatever), and because I don't want to take up two weapon slots for that, I wanted to combine them into one bomb, but that means it has to cost a missile to use else it could probably be abused in some way to kill enemy crew. Which means it kinda sucks for postbattle repairs, but what can you do. I did make it heal 1 hull point as well just to give some compensation if you do use it for repairs, hopefully that doesn't make it too powerful since you can convert all those free missiles you get into dozens of free hull points throughout a run. I have no idea, I don't playtest my own ships beyond sector 1 (and if I did, I don't know if I've invested enough hours into the game to really tell), this is all very experimental.

Also, has max level sensors from the start! Yay for forcing underused features of the game down your throat! But on the bright side, it allows you to see if aiming for that running rebel auto-scout's engines is worth it compared to its piloting.

Other useful info
  • Replaces Zoltan A. Why not Stealth A? Because my first ship uses that slot, and I have no reason to reuse slots yet, and to be honest, I don't feel an urge to make a more zoltan ship than this (hmm, what about zshield+shielddrone...)
  • 5 starting power
  • Features about 150% less jokes than my previous ship (Sufdawg)
  • Has 2 drone slots if you buy drone control. Duh, I don't want to break the HUD if I don't have to.
  • Does not have a room assigned for artillery so I guess if you're playing with CE you might want to use a mod that sets the rarity of artillery to 0
  • Still no custom art for the custom weapons because I can't be bothered
  • My first auto ship! Be mindful of the problems that comes with an auto ship: Losing crew while not having any crashes the game (fix), and you can't buy crew at stores, and some other minor issues.
  • Keeps up my annoying tradition of making cringeworthy ship names just to sneak in parts of my username...

Showcase videos
Biohazard063: Episode 1
stylesrj: Episode 1
Anistuffs: Normal: Episode 1 - Shieldless challenge: Episode 1

Thanks to Anistuffs and Biohazard063 for some thoughts regarding the custom weapon's balance and stuff I guess
Last edited by fdagpigj on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: [Ship] Camoufdage

Postby stylesrj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm

It has Slug Repair Gel!
Hooray, now I can commit acts of piracy and betray those who surrendered to me...

You may want to look into that (I'm sure there are plenty of auto-ship mods which do just that and rename it to Breach Sealant) or just leave it in.

Not sure if I should give it a try with those mods in place or just go in with the ship and Captain's Edition so I can do all the truce-breaking and thus more potential loot :lol:
Seriously, Zoltan Shield & Slug Repair Gel was one of my favourite combos before it got fixed so you couldn't get Slug Gel from the Slug Quest. Zoltan diplomacy for some decent loot and Slug Repair Gel for truce-breaking. You couldn't actually combine them (negotiate surrender, then attack) but it did give me options.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:59 pm

stylesrj wrote:It has Slug Repair Gel!
Hooray, now I can commit acts of piracy and betray those who surrendered to me...

You may want to look into that (I'm sure there are plenty of auto-ship mods which do just that and rename it to Breach Sealant) or just leave it in.

Not sure if I should give it a try with those mods in place or just go in with the ship and Captain's Edition so I can do all the truce-breaking and thus more potential loot :lol:
Seriously, Zoltan Shield & Slug Repair Gel was one of my favourite combos before it got fixed so you couldn't get Slug Gel from the Slug Quest. Zoltan diplomacy for some decent loot and Slug Repair Gel for truce-breaking. You couldn't actually combine them (negotiate surrender, then attack) but it did give me options.

Lol, I completely forgot about CE doing that. Well, do what you want, but there's no perfect solution when FTL is so limiting as to what modders can do.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:24 pm

I'll try not to abuse the system too much. But then again, FTL abuses the player so much that it's justified...

...And then you lose anyway.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 pm

All you had to do was ask for a fix with the slug repair gel regarding CE. Ever since I first brought it up on my Anomaly, Rannl made an "add-on" (I suppose) to add to your mod and the problem is solved. It's really handy since it really doesn't make sense for an AI-ship to be classified as a slug ship. Should also be easy to reverse engineer if you want the same thing for the Zoltan shield. If you need it, just let me know and I'll pm you a link with the files you need.

Also, any reason as to why oxygen is pretty much forced onto us? You've mentioned why it's there in the lore, but why is it there from a design point? You can set a price for O2 for it to be able to be bought later on. Maybe it's just me wanting to free up a system slot so you're free to dismiss this bit naturally. :?

And finally, why not take a stab at an artillery weapon? You've made a few ships so far, might as well see what you can do with that system, even if it would only be for those playing CE. (Though not a requirement, as you can just do the opposite that you mentioned, set rarity to 1.)

Besides that, looks interesting. Wondering how the bomb will scale though. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:All you had to do was ask for a fix with the slug repair gel regarding CE. Ever since I first brought it up on my Anomaly, Rannl made an "add-on" (I suppose) to add to your mod and the problem is solved. It's really handy since it really doesn't make sense for an AI-ship to be classified as a slug ship. Should also be easy to reverse engineer if you want the same thing for the Zoltan shield. If you need it, just let me know and I'll pm you a link with the files you need.

I honestly didn't think of it, I've never even launched into CE myself, but ultimately I don't have to make it compatible with other mods. Since I know some people care I try to make all easy fixes and notices I can think of but I won't go out of my way to try make it compatible (especially when you don't even need to use those blue options if you run into them). I suppose I could add a link to the main post to a mod that disables the bonus for those augments.

Also, any reason as to why oxygen is pretty much forced onto us? You've mentioned why it's there in the lore, but why is it there from a design point? You can set a price for O2 for it to be able to be bought later on. Maybe it's just me wanting to free up a system slot so you're free to dismiss this bit naturally. :?

You already have one less system than a "normal" ship since you don't need healing if you decide to go without crew. Not having oxygen means any crew you get will die unless they're lanius or "ghost" or you've bought a healing system and don't mind not actually utilising them for basically anything. With oxygen, at least there's no preference towards specific races, and you can keep the random crew you find around until either buying a healing system or until they die from the damage that stacks up. Not to mention, oxygen can be used to lure boarders into specific systems you don't mind them breaking (cough sensors cough).

And finally, why not take a stab at an artillery weapon? You've made a few ships so far, might as well see what you can do with that system, even if it would only be for those playing CE. (Though not a requirement, as you can just do the opposite that you mentioned, set rarity to 1.)

Besides that, looks interesting. Wondering how the bomb will scale though. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, I could try making an artillery weapon, but I don't really see the need for it unless the ship starts with it since having the game crash if you need to save&quit is pretty shitty. Other than that I could definitely make something, but then the question is what, since the design of this ship doesn't revolve around an artillery system. Hmm, are there HUD issues if you have more than 1 artillery system? I could probably try come up with something interesting. But honestly, artillery is just kinda awkward to work with IMO since it's fairly limited in possibilities and has a few bugs. Regarding the bomb, I too am very interested to see how it turns out in the long run.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm

As far as I know, there really isn't a mod that does just that. I think it's only used for slug gel on AI-ships that I made or people I know that made AI-ships. But it's your choice to do with it what you want.

As far as the O2 goes. I suppose without the need for a medbay/clonebay or teleporter if you go without crew and not having artillery as an option, you're still able to get every other system. As in shields, hacking, drones and mindcontrol.

There are no HUD issues with multiple artillery systems, because they don't show up on the hud. They'll also act rather odd when it comes down to the power they get and use.
You'll need one or more Zoltans to move power from or into them if you decide to take that route since you can't distribute power normally. You'll also lose all but the first artillery system if you continue a run after quitting. Best not to mess with that unless you know what you're doing. I'm not really sure how it works exactly either.

You don't have to create a custom artillery for this ship if you don't want to. But you could for instance set a CE artillery weapon as your artillery (which in general, is the only thing you really need to make a ship CE compatible ignoring the "special augments"). Since artillery can't be bought with a mod that enables it, the most known one being CE, you're fine to use the blueprints from CE weapons as artillery. As far as which one to use, you can always check CE artillery and see if something suits the ship. Did that on a few of my ships I had start without artillery and had no real plans for. Just make sure you set a 5th weapon mount to decide were it goes. (Yes, a 5th, even if the ship has 3 weapons slots or less.)
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Just finished my showcase with this ship.

Just wanted to point this out :

The other ones work.
Channel link
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:Just wanted to point this out :

Well, shit... no idea how that got messed up, but I'm working on fixing it.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 am

Well... I gave the ship a video run. It was amazing to work with.

I thought I'd have trouble when I didn't get any good guns beyond the Advanced Flak but then in the late-stage I found I could use the Defence Bomb as a potent weapon. Hit the enemy with the bomb, have them run to Medbay where you then lock them in and hack it.
Or you drop the bomb, then mind control a crew member and watch them squirm.
Twisted, evil fun both ways. I had no complaints about the ship, just FTL RNG in general so something must have worked.