[Tool] Superluminal 2.2.1 - FTL Ship Editor

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Auron1

Re: [Tool] Superluminal 2.1.2b - FTL Ship Editor

Postby Auron1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 am

Question: how do I place background images on empty rooms? Is it possible?
Superluminal allows to change the image only if the room has a system installed (engines, door, pilot, etc.), so blank rooms seem to be left white.
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Auron1 wrote:Question: how do I place background images on empty rooms? Is it possible?
Superluminal allows to change the image only if the room has a system installed (engines, door, pilot, etc.), so blank rooms seem to be left white.

Superluminal doesn't allow adding images to empty rooms, but you can do it manually. You have to open the blueprints.xml.append file of your mod, find your ship's blueprint and it should list all the systems that the ship has. You can assign a "room" system to a room and set an image to it. For example this line would add the room_weapons_5 image to the room with the ID 6. An easy way to find the ID of a room is to click on the room in superluminal.
<room room="6" start="true" img="room_weapons_5"/>
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:38 pm

stargateprovider wrote:Superluminal doesn't allow adding images to empty rooms, but you can do it manually. You have to open the blueprints.xml.append file of your mod, find your ship's blueprint and it should list all the systems that the ship has. You can assign a "room" system to a room and set an image to it. For example this line would add the room_weapons_5 image to the room with the ID 6. An easy way to find the ID of a room is to click on the room in superluminal.

Code: Select all

So first I note down the room's number, then I modify the .xml.append file and manually add the .png background to that room. Right?
But technically speaking the room doesn't have an own system, is that so?
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Auron1 wrote:
stargateprovider wrote:Superluminal doesn't allow adding images to empty rooms, but you can do it manually. You have to open the blueprints.xml.append file of your mod, find your ship's blueprint and it should list all the systems that the ship has. You can assign a "room" system to a room and set an image to it. For example this line would add the room_weapons_5 image to the room with the ID 6. An easy way to find the ID of a room is to click on the room in superluminal.

Code: Select all

So first I note down the room's number, then I modify the .xml.append file and manually add the .png background to that room. Right?
But technically speaking the room doesn't have an own system, is that so?

All correct, the room won't have a system in it, just the .png background. One glitch occurs with this technique though. When you select restart from the game menu (without going to the hangar first), the room's background will disappear until you return to the hangar.
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Br0o0o

Postby Br0o0o » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi.
I am a brand new user to Superluminal and I've more or less figured out everything I need to make basic ships on my own, however I've noticed a pretty critical error when I am using the program.

So, I open up Superluminal, no problems there, I make a new ship and place down all the images (body, floor, shield, cloak, etc), again no problems.
I then place all of the rooms I want in the ship, put doors in place and go to assign the rooms. Problem.
For some reason when I right click a room, or use the manipulation tool to assign the room, I can see and click on all of the tabs etc, but when I select a thing to assign the room, it closes the 'assign' boxes, but doesn't set the room!
Previously, I've managed to assign maybe one or two rooms in a whole ship, but then it would give up and I can't assign any more!

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

EDIT:
Tried deleting and reinstalling (if you can call it that) the program - no help.

2nd EDIT:
Tried redownloading 64 bit .zip file (I know I have a 64 bit OS) and it told me I should have downloaded 32 bit (which is what I was using previously) - still not corrected.
Waka
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 pm

First of all, welcome to the FTL forums! :D

Now, about your issue, I have no clue on what may be causing it. That's plain weird, since at least one method should work fine.
Just two quick questions:
1) Have you linked the .dat file required? If you don't do that, the program will eventually crash.
2) Are you running SuperLuminal as Administrator?
Br0o0o

Postby Br0o0o » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for responding Auron.
For point 1 - When I first opened Superluminal, it prompted me to link to the .dat file, I navigated to the Steam file for FTL and selected data.dat in the resources file, if that is what you mean.
As for point 2 - I have tried both run as regular and run as admin for all 3 of the files you can run the program with (superluminal2.exe, superluminal2_admin.exe and superluminal2-win.jar) and nothing has worked.
Sorry, if there is anything else you might need to know just let me know.

EDIT: Ok, so I've now realised that I can't actually select anything to change properties, this now includes changing the species of crew, which doesnt work either.
Waka
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am

Br0o0o wrote:Thanks for responding Auron.
For point 1 - When I first opened Superluminal, it prompted me to link to the .dat file, I navigated to the Steam file for FTL and selected data.dat in the resources file, if that is what you mean.
As for point 2 - I have tried both run as regular and run as admin for all 3 of the files you can run the program with (superluminal2.exe, superluminal2_admin.exe and superluminal2-win.jar) and nothing has worked.
Sorry, if there is anything else you might need to know just let me know.

EDIT: Ok, so I've now realised that I can't actually select anything to change properties, this now includes changing the species of crew, which doesnt work either.

Are you using Windows 10?
Check this out: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24901&p=78739#p78739 (Superluminal FAQ)
Br0o0o

Postby Br0o0o » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, I am using Windows 10, but I don't have a touchscreen.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I do however use a digitiser, I disabled this in the device manager and now the program works fine.
I did read the F.A.Q before, but it didn't occur to me that a digitiser (I'm sure you know what that is, but if not it's like a pen for a computer w/o a touchscreen) would error the program in the same way a touchscreen would, sorry.
Maybe something you could add to the F.A.Q for the minority of user that would have a digitiser attached.
Anyway, thanks for helping to sort the error, I feel a bit silly now xP.
Waka
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Br0o0o wrote:Yes, I am using Windows 10, but I don't have a touchscreen.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I do however use a digitiser, I disabled this in the device manager and now the program works fine.
Anyway, thanks for helping to sort the error, I feel a bit silly now xP.

Don't worry, I am glad the problem is now fixed and I could help you out! :geek:
As for the guide, we'll have to wait kartoFlane to update the FAQ with this extra tip.
Meanwhile, happy modding! :mrgreen: