[MOD IDEA] Quantum Leap

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

[MOD IDEA] Quantum Leap

Postby stylesrj » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm no way good at scripting events but maybe someone might inspired by this idea:

You start the game. A wormhole goes crazy and you end up in some sort of odd location, fighting for your life. You win the fight and go to grab your reward when suddenly you're zapped into another fight.
You try to get away from the fight, engaging the engines only for that wormhole to catch up and send you away anyway...

How does it work? Well you know how going to the Crystal Sector is an instant process... something like that except it's after every fight.
Captain's Edition Infinite and Infinite Space do this when you reach the Exit Beacon, send you to another Hidden Sector if you don't have the fuel.
Except this time, it's done after every beacon and at every beacon.

Maybe you're given a chance to recover if you have upgraded your Engines or something so you can go to a Store or increase the difficulty by going into further sectors, but if you don't, it's always going to jump you out of the sector and into a new one.

----------------

A more lighter concept of this would be "Get your butt to the Exit Beacon before the wormhole does" and if you fail, you're sent to a new sector to try again. And there should be plenty of fleet pursuit modifiers to raise the tension, etc. It's either that or you must outrun a wave of destruction that'll instantly kill you if you're caught... but we call that Captain's Edition.
Auron1

Re: [MOD IDEA] Quantum Leap

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 am

I have been thinking about this all over the night.
The idea is nice, even if somewhat resembles CE Infinite: your mod could work that once the "pursuing" wormhole reaches you, you are immediately sent into another sector. However, such behavior creates one problem: if the WH moves like the Rebel fleet in Vanilla FTL, you will always be able to reach the Exit beacon before it is too late.
You should create something specific for the Engines: each level grants you an initial boost. Let me explain this:

Level 1 → wormhole catches you in 2 jumps
Level 2 → wh catches you in 3 jumps (+1 delay)
Level 3 → wh catches you in 4 jumps (+2 delay)
Level 4 → wh catches you in 5 jumps (+3 delay)
Level 5 → wh catches you in 6 jumps (+4 delay)
Level 6 → wh catches you in 7 jumps (+5 delay)
Level 7 → wh catches you in 8 jumps (+6 delay)
Level 8 → wh catches you in 9 jumps (+7 delay)

Oh BTW, the Wormhole is something the PLAYER created during a scientific test, so your objective is to reach your motherbase where some scientists are working to stop the WH from spreading any further (think about a reaction matter/anti-matter). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Yeah I also considered this in the form of a boss rush mode, but it suffers from the same restrictions as Stations Job: With the player technically remaining in sector 1 enemies won't scale by themselves. And forced player reactor based scaling is a paint to implement on a large scale. :|
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Hence why this is only an idea in case someone is browsing the forums, sees this and goes "That's a great idea!" and then a year later, "FTL: Quantum Leap" is released...

Although I like your idea Auron. Fast-moving Wormhole will always catch you until you get the best engines and gun it for the Exit Beacon. Then your final battle is against the Wormhole Generator which has turned sentient and does all the same crap the Flagship does...
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm

stylesrj wrote:Although I like your idea Auron. Fast-moving Wormhole will always catch you until you get the best engines and gun it for the Exit Beacon. Then your final battle is against the Wormhole Generator which has turned sentient and does all the same crap the Flagship does...

I came up with that idea because it's the only way to face the wormhole multiple times.
The FTL (vanilla) mechanics allow you to reach the exit beacon before it is too late: in your scenario this wouldn't fit.
As for the final enemy, I had some thoughts.

Sleeper Service wrote:... but it suffers from the same restrictions as ...

Sleeper: is the final enemy meant to be fought mandatory for three times?
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 pm

The Exit Beacon could also work like it does in Infinite though. You gotta have the fuel to escape or you get jumped to another sector.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm

stylesrj wrote:The Exit Beacon could also work like it does in Infinite though. You gotta have the fuel to escape or you get jumped to another sector.

Ewww... nope.
Ok, the idea is yours so I can't really pretend to force you to think in my way, but being forced to play until you can upgrade your engines should be already enough; collecting enough fuel to "escape" would break the game. :|
Somewhere I even considered to make all ships starting with 999 fuel... :lol:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 pm

Well maybe you can find an Empty Beacon that suppresses the Wormhole for 99 jumps and gives you 999 Fuel but it warns you that once you reach the Last Stand, you're locked in for the final battle.
But it can only be activated once you reach a certain level, like Level 3 Shields (because Level 3 is all you need. I don't like being forced into Level 4 Shields when I only power 3 layers), some good engines and a maxed-out Reactor so you have little need to farm the next few jumps.

That sort of thing.
"You are at an idle beacon. Are you ready for the final battle?"

No - You move on hoping that the next jump will be the next jump home.
Yes - Do you have the required Engines? Yes. Do you have the shields needed? Yes. Can you power them both? Yes. What is the average travel speed of an unladen Swallow? Which one? Federation or Rebellion?

And if you answer correctly to it all "You are ready. Your engines flare up and you rush to get to the final showdown. The wormhole will not follow you until then..." etc.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:17 pm

stylesrj wrote:Well maybe you can find an Empty Beacon that suppresses the Wormhole for 99 jumps and gives you 999 Fuel but it warns you that once you reach the Last Stand, you're locked in for the final battle.
But it can only be activated once you reach a certain level, like Level 3 Shields (because Level 3 is all you need. I don't like being forced into Level 4 Shields when I only power 3 layers), some good engines and a maxed-out Reactor so you have little need to farm the next few jumps.

There is something very similar in FTL:Supremacy Mod, where you can literally cheat in empty beacons: you can create weapons, augmentations, fully trained crew members and receive free supplies too. The downside is you are labeled as a kid (well, sort of - I don't remember the exact words).
But you made me think that there can't be events that delay the wormhole: unlike rebel ships, the WH simply covers everything. :?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Yeah but that seems to be "Easy Cheese Cheating"
This one is like the Fallout 2 Strategy Guide where it boosts your stats to insane levels but you only get it after completing the game. "This would have been useful at the start of the game!" is even in the description.

Although in this case, it's more like "You've got everything you need. Get going to the Last Stand! Here's the fuel and delays to make sure you make it."

Just like Quantum Leap, everything has got to have an end, although apparently Sam never made it back home.