Ship Mod - The Javelin - Replaces Kestral A

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Oleksandra

Ship Mod - The Javelin - Replaces Kestral A

Postby Oleksandra » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:59 am

The Javelin! (Made for CE. Not tested with Vanilla yet. This is also my first ship! .. B-be gentle.)

You've inherited the ship of the famed Mantis raider Oleksandra. Favoring getting right up close and personal as most Mantis do, Oleksandra has captured and extremely upgraded an old Federation scout. With bigger, better boosters, and suites packed to the brim with the hardware to support the use of drones, Oleksandra frequented the use of drones captured during her Engi Homeworld raids. Are you ready to take up your mothers name and continue The Javelin's most grand adventure.. bringing down the Rebellion?

.. I hope that's lore friendly enough.

Currently still a work in progress, BUT, it IS working. No extensive playtesting's been done with her, but, here is the DL link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4f4m64o5pilggr2/Oleksandra%27sBoarderBoatfixed4maybe.ftl

Screenshots:

stylesrj

Re: Ship Mod - The Javelin - Replaces Kestral A

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 am

Well it certainly starts with a lot of freely available systems. I might do a run later on to see where it could be toned down because right off the bat, that's a lot of free equipment. I'm already picturing myself selling those boarding drones and running from all automated ships because I have no means of taking them down quickly (waiting for repairs and smashing the system takes forever on-camera)
Oleksandra

Postby Oleksandra » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you for the reply!

It's my first ship, and I'm not the best player, so it's probably not the most balanced craft.

I figured the extremely cramped systems and the locking in of most features, plus the small room sizes justified the boarding capablities. She only has 20 HP*, too.

:mrgreen:
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 am

Oleksandra wrote:She only has 20 HP*, too.

I think there's a 20 HP bar variant (visual) you should link to on the main post. basically each bit of hull actually corresponds to each point. see here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21578

the "two-thirds" hull option, specifically.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

Even without testing on field your mod, I can already see one major problem: the Medbay. A 3x2 room is not "canonical", meaning that if you happen to run out of Oxygen, the room will appear weird. Also, the texture used there is for an Engine system.
The O2 system doesn't require a console but the Weapons Sys could use one; finally, 1x1 rooms are not canonical either... If you are wondering, standard rooms are 2x1, 1x2 and 2x2.

Oh, one more thing: having 4 weapons and 4 drones is OP. Not only it messes up the graphic (see how the drones slots cover the Subsystems indicators on the right part of the screen), but it also creates the issue that if you have only inside drones (anti-enemy, repairing) they won't be able to return to their room and recharge.
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 am

Auron1 wrote:Even without testing on field your mod, I can already see one major problem: the Medbay. A 3x2 room is not "canonical", meaning that if you happen to run out of Oxygen, the room will appear weird.

it won't be as weird as running out of O2 on a 1x1 room.
The O2 system doesn't require a console but the Weapons Sys could use one;

adding on to that it seems in general some of the room images don't match the system (doors, weapons, shields, etc.)
having 4 weapons and 4 drones also creates the issue that if you have only inside drones (anti-enemy, repairing) they won't be able to return to their room and recharge.

uh, why exactly? it's a 4 slot drone system. how does this affect the drones themselves? :|
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 am

mr_easy_money wrote:uh, why exactly? it's a 4 slot drone system. how does this affect the drones themselves? :|

When Anti-Personnel drones have finished fighting against enemies, they return to their room to recharge (for human crew is like going to the MedBay). If you have a 2 squares room, having 4 drones at the same time will force two of them to stay elsewhere, hence failing to get repaired.
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
Oleksandra

Postby Oleksandra » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look at redoing the rooms. I'll take a look at adjusting the balance if some of the rooms and getting the ship up to snuff. I hope she's pretty at least.

*Edit: Oh! And the 'engine' in the medbay is what I tried to make look like the hatch for door in back, and mini airlocks in the two rooms on the side!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm

But who uses 4 Crew Drones on the ship?

Anyway, I think you'll need something different for the airlock hatches rather than using the engines. Especially since how the medbay has a console overlapping with the door.

Speaking of airlocks, I think having only two at the back might cause problems if you get boarded and need to do some venting. Or if a fire breaks out...