Strategy to maximize scrap

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Igniferroque

Strategy to maximize scrap

Postby Igniferroque » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Other than hacking the save file, does anyone have suggestions?

The best things I've worked out are to a) choose Nebulas at every opportunity and b) use boarding teams to kill everyone on the enemy ship.

Nebulas allow you to grind more while boarding teams give more scrap than either destroying the ship or accepting tribute.

Does having a cloaking device decrease the speed at which the Rebels expand across the sector?
longwell

Re: Strategy to maximize scrap

Postby longwell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm

I have been having luck targeting the o2 on ships that can't get through my shields. Seems like the ai would rather man guns than breath.
Redfoot

Postby Redfoot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm having great success with the Fire Beam/Bomb to wipe out crews, I think the beam ignores shields at all time since it does 0 damage - maybe someone could confirm this. Breach missiles are great for shield penetration/anti oxygen tactics too.

The 10% more scrap module is definitely worth it if you can get it early on, just resell for 25 by sector 6-7.
TheAzryte

Postby TheAzryte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm

If you run into a slug interceptor class ship, shoot it's O2 as there's no door for the crew to repair it, thus giving you an instant (Somewhat) win.
Personal fleet: Kestrel A & B, Engi A&B, Stealth A, Mantis A&B, Federation A&B, Slug A, Rock A, Zoltan A&B and Unidentified A.

GDM
Sinriel

Postby Sinriel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Ahhhh, hitting O2 never came to my mind! Great idea! Gonna try it immediately.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

TheAzryte wrote:If you run into a slug interceptor class ship, shoot it's O2 as there's no door for the crew to repair it, thus giving you an instant (Somewhat) win.

Victory through Asphyxiation! It's an achievement, too.
antisyzygy

Postby antisyzygy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:24 pm

I've found that if I upgrade my shields and/or engines early it makes me have more scrap overall. If you spend less on repairing your hull, you have more to spend on other things.

Hull repair drones help as well since it seems I get tons of drone parts just from flying around, but sometimes you just aren't lucky enough to get them.
icarus2

Postby icarus2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 pm

The Advanced FTL Navigation augmentation is great for this - that's the one that allows you to instantly teleport to any previously visited location. If you take some time to plan your route at the start of the sector, you will end up covering a lot more ground and increase your earning potential accordingly.

Just remember to keep your fuel supplies well stocked :)
HelloLion

Postby HelloLion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 am

Scrap arms! Keeping 40 scrap handy before each store is enough to get you one, and if you can get two or three, all the better, then just sell and replace them as you go. In an ideal game this should be one of your first purchases (though obviously this isn't always possible). Other than that, I agree with nebulas and the suggestions for keeping your hull in good shape from early on; hull damage is hugely expensive.