Too Random.

General discussion about the game.
Incendax

Too Random.

Postby Incendax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am

I really love this game, but there is just too much randomness. :cry:

I have played through the game 40+ times by this point and at least 6 times I never encountered a weapon store and had to make do with the weapons I got at the beginning of the game.

Also, additional ships add a really fun dynamic and increase replay value, but having to play over and over again just to have a slim chance of getting those additional ships leads to too much burn out.
ice

Re: Too Random.

Postby ice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm pretty sure shops in different controlled sectors offer different kind of things, like mantis and pirate shops offer weapons while friendly sectors such as engi and voltran only sell augmentations and drones...

Which means if you're only visiting friendly sectors, you won't get many weapons.

My tip is to visit the sectors that you can fight:

Mantis controlled/homework sectors have many boarders and hazards, while rock sectors have lots of missiles and such, so only visit these if you have good dodge chance or hull and stuffs.
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Bushman

Postby Bushman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Incendax wrote:I have played through the game 40+ times by this point and at least 6 times I never encountered a weapon store and had to make do with the weapons I got at the beginning of the game.

You are doing it wrong. There is no way you got to level 8 without hitting any stores at all :shock:

Make sure you hit as many nodes as possible in every sector, you should get there just one jump ahead of the rebel fleet to maximize your scrap and whatnot.
Incendax

Postby Incendax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 pm

ice wrote:Which means if you're only visiting friendly sectors, you won't get many weapons.

My tip is to visit the sectors that you can fight:
Nope. I always choose red sectors over friendly sectors these days, the extra scrap is wonderful. Still too few weapon stores.
Bushman wrote:You are doing it wrong. There is no way you got to level 8 without hitting any stores at all :shock:
I'm not doing it wrong. I find plenty of stores, but thanks to the random nature of the game I have played through 6 games where there were no weapon stores at all. All the other stores? Sure.
ice

Postby ice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm

I myself have found it quite hard getting good weapons, but I guess it's all based on luck, where you can only really beat the boss every one out of five times when it's really going good for you.
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Incendax wrote:I'm not doing it wrong. I find plenty of stores, but thanks to the random nature of the game I have played through 6 games where there were no weapon stores at all. All the other stores? Sure.

Okay, so buy drones and teleports. Those are just as viable ways of attacking.

Yes, in this game it is quite possible to end up with no extra weapons. It's rare, but it does happen.
But that's not necessarily a flaw. The randomness of the game is there to force you to adapt to it. If you get no weapons then use something else.
Incendax

Postby Incendax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Maze1125 wrote:Okay, so buy drones and teleports. Those are just as viable ways of attacking.

Yes, in this game it is quite possible to end up with no extra weapons. It's rare, but it does happen.
But that's not necessarily a flaw. The randomness of the game is there to force you to adapt to it. If you get no weapons then use something else.
Sometimes that doesn't work. Ion Blast Mark II + Anti Ship II + Anti Ship I + Anti Ship I cannot break through the shields of the boss on Stage 1 before Cloak. Your teleport team cannot destroy the cloak room because of Med Bay Cycling.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Remember that you can send more than 2 people to board the enemy ship at once.
Incendax

Postby Incendax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Maze1125 wrote:Remember that you can send more than 2 people to board the enemy ship at once.
Even with four people in their cloak room at once, they can just cycle people through their Medbay.
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 pm

I wouldn't say it's TOO random just because of this, though I have had bad runs.

They aren't all bad, and if you can make it to the boss at all you can usually beat him in my experience. Everyone's style and luck are different though. :/