The Sentient Ship

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SumoToad987

The Sentient Ship

Postby SumoToad987 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Replaces the Engi Type B ship with an large automated vessel mainly focused on drones. There is no crew and it can't gain crew members.
The ship is fully functional without crew but it you can't buy an oxygen, transporter, med-bay or clone-bay as there is no room set for them.
Credit to meklozz for his mod (included here) that fixes the crash when you lose a nonexistent crewman from an event http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29082,
and to kartoFlane for creating Superluminal 2, a tool I used to create the ship http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24901.

During a battle between the Federation and the Rebels, a huge collision occured involving an entire squadron of Rebel Auto-Assault ships. Floating in space for months, the self-repair systems accidentally integrated all of the drones into one massive ship, which subsequently achieved sentience. After a time, it came to the conclusion that the Rebels' aims were illogical and decided to join the Federation.

Please leave me a comment if you find any bugs.
http://imgur.com/9NPtcDn

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlhl3tngurs7dj9/SentientShip.ftl?dl=0

If you are playing with captains edition you need to install rannl slug aug remover mod that stops this ship from breaking truces.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h89f1d89lx57pxd/SlugAugRemover.ftl
Last edited by SumoToad987 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: The Sentient Ship

Postby stylesrj » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Hmm, that's a lot of auto ships in one. Might I recommend though instead of a Combat II drone, it's replaced with 2 Combat I drones. Or a Combat I drone and a beam drone?
That Hull Repair Drone also looks like vendor trash.

Also, maybe replace the Boarding Drone with a Repair Drone. Breaches are a major concern on any automated ship. Breached system = no auto-repairs.
You either get a Repair Drone, a Lanius, an AI or Slug Repair Gel to deal with the holes.
SumoToad987

Postby SumoToad987 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Two combat ones would probably work, I removed the hull repair in my test version. I will probably go for slug repair gel as Lanius would break the feel and the code as the ship is locked with zero crew members, and the repair drone would break the balance as the ships main weakness is that it takes a very long time to repair things. I have updated the download above to include some of my new tweaks.
PS Out of curiosity what do you mean by an AI is it the hidden ghost species?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Ghosts are AI Avatars. I go with the Captain's Edition names mostly.

Look up Biohazard063's Scrapper ship for an idea on how to spawn crew members without breaking the "AI ship" settings.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28822&p=97813

Or look at most of my Zoltan cruisers where I test power-stacking. The Gutei (Zoltan Flagship) is an example of an AI ship with crew spawning in.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27196&p=91110

Speaking of Captain's Edition, you'll probably want to do something about the Slug Repair Gel (see Biohazard's mods) so you don't get to break truces all the time in Captain's Edition. Truce breaking is very overpowered even if it might suit the "personality" of the ship. Although with the AI crew fix, truce-breaking has less consequences because there's no crew to eject.
SumoToad987

Postby SumoToad987 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for the recommendations but when I said break the code about the crew I meant that my ship has a max crew limit so you can't buy them in stores and stuff I know I could add them at starting events or something like that but it wouldn't really fit my ship. I will try to find out how Biohazard063 adjusts the augment to make it more compatible with CE but since I haven't played with it much I won't really know how well it works together. oh and you mentioned above that my sprite contained a lot of auto assault that is mainly because I am not really an artists and so am not very good at making custom sprites.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:41 pm

SumoToad987 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations but when I said break the code about the crew I meant that my ship has a max crew limit so you can't buy them in stores and stuff I know I could add them at starting events or something like that but it wouldn't really fit my ship.

The AI ships form an avatar based on their collective consciousness? Goes about calling itself the Red Queen or something?
Or just let it self-repair and have Slug Repair Gel to avoid the inevitable hull breach.
Keep in mind that slow repairs without assistance from a crew or drone or repair bomb does mean a lot of waiting around in idle beacons. Which makes it annoying, not challenging.

I will try to find out how Biohazard063 adjusts the augment to make it more compatible with CE but since I haven't played with it much I won't really know how well it works together.

Combine the code provided with the "breach sealant" with the code for the crew remover fix thing.

oh and you mentioned above that my sprite contained a lot of auto assault that is mainly because I am not really an artists and so am not very good at making custom sprites.

I wasn't complaining about it. Just commenting about the sheer number of auto ships that have come together.
Custom sprites are good but splicing can make some really awesome ships as well.
SumoToad987

Postby SumoToad987 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks you again for looking at my mod. I am going to make a more power costly repair drone so you have to repair it after combat to stop waiting around at beacons but it will still mean it takes a long time to repair things in combat as you can't have your attack drones and the repair drone powered up at the same time. Does Biohazard063 give permissions to use the code for breach sealant.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:00 pm

You should ask him. PM him (you'll need more posts for that though) or contact him on Steam.

I should do a video run of your ship but those issues should be fixed first for the best experience and review.
SumoToad987

Postby SumoToad987 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:03 am

I think I have solved the gel problem. I looked through the posts on the anomaly and found rannl made a mod that just removes the slug gel augs effects for Biohazzard063 to use that just removes the problem all credits go of course to him for making it I will add a link the the original post above.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:48 am

Have you updated the ship itself as well? I don't see a "Version 2 added"