Onirae

Unfair

Postby Onirae » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Guys, please...

This is no fun...

ice

Re: Unfair

Postby ice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:47 pm

It's all about planning and eye measure, but I feel your pain, it's happened to me twice before :/

(I didn't live)
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Zelnick

Postby Zelnick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:53 pm

At least, you have a cloak :mrgreen:
Guswut

Postby Guswut » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Onirae wrote:Guys, please...

This is no fun...

Sure it is fun. Try and fight your way back through the rebel fleet to reach the next sector. If you die trying (which is likely with THAT attitude, some savior of the Federation YOU are), then you'll have only learnt the valuable lesson of better judgment regarding jumps. If you survive, then you will have learnt that lesson, and the secondary lesson that while sometimes life isn't fair, that does not mean that you need to lay down and take it like a turtle on Sunday evening in the outback.
omphaloskepsis

Postby omphaloskepsis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm on the it IS fun side of the argument. This aspect of the game is manageable by the player, so it's OK in my book. You know about how fast they're moving, and you have a choice about whether you want to risk being far away from the exit. You either play it safe and get near the exit early, or you stray knowing you'll have to fight your way through.

If you've got a decent setup, then you can fight your way through to the exit. And again, this is down to your judgement and choices, in the sense that if you have a weak setup, you need to be close to the exit, but if you've got a good build, you can be more cavalier in your approach.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Wait...you can fight your way through the rebel fleet and keep going if they catch you?!?

I've played a bunch of games and never let them catch me before...I always assumed it was just game over.
Ok, now I gotta try getting caught on purpose.
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Onirae wrote:Guys, please...

This is no fun...

This looks like bad planning.

Always try and reach the exit first, or at least get close and then check out the beacons around it. That way you know how to get to the exit and won't accidentally be caught off guard.
Xenolith: The Mod Database
Easy Mod management, easy downloading and instant notifications when updates arrive!
Now supports FTL!
ice

Postby ice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Every now and then, I let the rebels catch up on me just as I go through the exits, killing one of their ships just for fun. The only bad thing is that you won't get any scrap or missiles or drones, and just 1-4 fuel since you have to get going before the next ship gets to you (which never happens until the next jump), and is thus un-grind-able :c
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Incendax

Postby Incendax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Kestral B wrote:Wait...you can fight your way through the rebel fleet and keep going if they catch you?!?

I've played a bunch of games and never let them catch me before...I always assumed it was just game over.
Ok, now I gotta try getting caught on purpose.
Yep. With a strong enough ship you can actually wander around in rebel occupied systems as long as you want, there are almost no reasons to do so. They give no salvage except 1 fuel, and override any other random events.

So only do it if you need a quest objective or store.
The New Romance

Postby The New Romance » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Incendax wrote:Yep. With a strong enough ship you can actually wander around in rebel occupied systems as long as you want, there are almost no reasons to do so. They give no salvage except 1 fuel, and override any other random events.

So only do it if you need a quest objective or store.

Incendax is right. With a reasonably equipped ship, you don't have any problems if the above nasty scenario happens to you. I had it happen once. Visual inspection of the map already suggested I was pushing my luck, but no, I had to go and try. Then I had to go back and fight my way out. You live and you learn :)