Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Hak86

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby Hak86 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:01 am

The_Bear wrote:Me and jrb are doing the boss battle again, be online at 10:00 UTC if you want to join. The admin ship will take you there from spawn like last time.

Wait have you already finished?
Did I miss it? :?
This is a bad signature. :|
SciGuy303

Postby SciGuy303 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:07 am

I have to ask, what is the IPv4 endpoint of this?
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:09 am

Hak86 wrote:
The_Bear wrote:Me and jrb are doing the boss battle again, be online at 10:00 UTC if you want to join. The admin ship will take you there from spawn like last time.

Wait have you already finished?
Did I miss it? :?

No, it is a little less than 8 hours to.
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 am

jrb00001 wrote:
kcd.Spektor wrote:The idea is that if anyone want's to mod the game, he doesn't need anything special, just notepad.exe and brains. :)

It is possible to write java source files with notepad.exe :D You just need a jdk to compile the classes. If you bundle a jdk with the game, it would be possible to compile the classes on load! (There is a compiler api available in the jdk's).

I know this is an old post (Page 7 OMG), but I am wanting to make a mod for Tachyon which gets the continue.sav file from FTL and converts it into a ship in Tachyon. But I am not sure how I am going to be able to make this mod and this quote was about the most relevant post I could find. :|
This is a bad signature. :|
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:42 am

SciGuy303 wrote:I have to ask, what is the IPv4 endpoint of this?

You could lookup it yourself using a tool like nslookup. It is currently 138.201.91.240.

Hak86 wrote:
jrb00001 wrote:
kcd.Spektor wrote:The idea is that if anyone want's to mod the game, he doesn't need anything special, just notepad.exe and brains. :)

It is possible to write java source files with notepad.exe :D You just need a jdk to compile the classes. If you bundle a jdk with the game, it would be possible to compile the classes on load! (There is a compiler api available in the jdk's).

I know this is an old post (Page 7 OMG), but I am wanting to make a mod for Tachyon which gets the continue.sav file from FTL and converts it into a ship in Tachyon. But I am not sure how I am going to be able to make this mod and this quote was about the most relevant post I could find. :|

You can't make a mod that has logic in it. But you can write a standalone converter to convert the continue.sav to the format Tachyon uses. Doable but not easy.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:21 am

We are preparing for the boss battle now, come online if you want to join.
Micre

Postby Micre » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Damn, im just so happy someone (& many other ppl) did something like this, just found out today & started reading whole topic
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi everyone, :)
I was on a work trip to Netherlands and din't have time to answer the posts on forum.
But now I'm back.
So here comes a long post:

ninjakitty7 wrote:Hi, I found this through the FTL subreddit /r/ftlgame and decided to take a look.
By the way, I am a huge fan of what you are doing here and will be following progress :D

Welcome, and thanks :)

jrb00001 wrote:We need two new ship classes:
  • SUPER_BATTLE_SHIP: 10 - 12 big rooms, 20 - 25 small rooms
  • ULTRA_BATTLE_SHIP: 17 - 20 big rooms, 35 - 40 small rooms
  • FLAGSHIP: 30 big rooms, 70 small rooms
And you need to fix the bug where a big layout crashes the server.

Well, first of all I don't see any sense in having such big ships.
When you have a station sized ship it already takes quite some time to get from one place to another.
If you want to make some OP weaponized ships - just give them some OP weapons.
But most important is that it would take alot of effort to restructure almost everything in the source to make the game work with such big ships.
And sadly I won't have time to do this in the nearest and not so nearest future.

EmpressLexi wrote:Hey Spektor, do you have any kind of donations system open~?

Uh, no. :(
I don't know how to set one up, and I'm not sure if there is any point in making it, since I'm working hard towards getting the game on Steam Greenlight.

jrb00001 wrote:A few other ideas from Bear and me:
Storage system: adds additional storage space at the cost of rooms. It would make transporting / storing many systems easier.

Good idea, I had this idea when I added the cargo hold.
But I thought that perhaps it would be better to add ship augments,
and make this as one of the augments.
jrb00001 wrote:[*]Separate size and purpose classes: Size class (interceptor, light scout, cruiser, etc.), is determined by layout size, purpose class (trader, cargo, carrier, fighter) can be chosen freely and gives some bonus (less trading fees, more storage space, faster drones, faster recharge rate of weapons, etc.).[/list]

If we can make a list of all classes we want/need, I will add them to the game.
But I don't want to add any game logic based on the ship classes.
I want some time in the future make ship classes modable. They will be just stored as a list in a file.

The_Bear wrote:I made a new cargo ship, but I think there is something wrong with it. What should I do to improve it?
Can the Bear ships still be used, I dont think they use any parts from FTL. If so, I think they should be another race.

1. Awsome looking ship. I already have a plan for it in a quest ;)
2. I think I can use ships made by you.
3. Your ships do look like they fit the Spider race.
4. It's very sad that during this whole time I was away, nobody else made any art as they were saing they would.
Not that anyone is bound to do it. It's just sad every time I see someone saying that they would do something, showing some nice concepts, and then they just disappear. :(
What was the point in adding the Art TODO list?

Hak86 wrote:If we did we could pay Ben Prunty (the guy who made the music for FTL) to make music for this game.
What does everyone think of this?

Well my friend was working on music for the game before I departed, but I haven't takled to him yet, so I don't know if there is any progress with music or it's stuck like art.
But in any case, if I had any extra funds, I would probably first dedicated it to develop some propper art, and only after that to some propper music.
Though I do have to say that Ben Prunty's OST for FTL is one of the biggest inspiration keeprs for me.
80% of the time I work on the game - I have FTL OST playing in the background.

The_Bear wrote:Me and jrb got some ideas for warp gates, but only one of them has actual warp gates.
1. The warp gates are big round stations with emty space in the middle that the ship can jump into, from inside it you jump faster and longer.
2. In this stations can use some sort of suntransmitters to instantly send your ship to another suntransmitter. (jrb idea)
3. In this you start at a ring world (giant space station going around a star(its bigger than a planet so it works like one)(you could also start at a ringworld in the other idea), but in this it is built around a special wormhole that can be used to go to some wormholes spread across the world (the rest can only go to 1 random wormhole). This way you would know that there are wormholes in the game that can be used to travel faster. Jrb also suggested that you could connect servers with a wormhole.

The warp gates are on the TODO list, but I plan on making them a bit diferently - for now my idea is to make a wormhole generator system that, you've guessed it, generates worm holes.
You specify where you want it to appear in current sector(or untill it's upgraded it generates the enter point in a random location), and to which sector it should lead.
Also upgrades could increase the distance.
And there could be natural wormholes randomly genereated that lead from one to another.
You do a local jump on it and whooooosh, away you go.

The_Bear wrote:so it is technically possable to move em i have seen personally a station hyperjump i just wonder how they did it and i was wondering how you get em to do it i mean can you literally fill a station with hyperdrives and make it jump at some point?

Station is just a ship with class STATION, so it can do anything a regular ship can do.
Only thing is that in the server's config.cfg file, the STATION_WEIGHT_AMP parameter is set to 10000%
so it requires 100 times more energy to jump 1 sector.
And that number is way to big to be achieved by any reasonable amount of Hyper drives that you can install.
Because I didn't plan for stations to do hyper jumps.
But still anything in the server's config.cfg is configurable, so you can make it any way you want.

EmpressLexi wrote:Everytime I check this thread and see more progress on the To do list, I almost(and sometimes do) scream "OH MY GOD YES THIS SOUNDS SO COOL HAVE MY BABIES"
In other news, I just ate a lot of pizza and now feel sick

I'm realy flattered by the offer :mrgreen:
But I'm already married, and you've just recently moved in with your GF ;)
And thanks for being part of the comunity. :)

The_Bear wrote:
zayne wrote:can you board an enemy vessel and take it over? for yerself?

Not yet, but you will probebly be able to in alpha 0.6.

Sadly I don't think it will be in a0.6
I need to stop working on adding new features and start making the game scenarios/quests.
During last 4 weeks I've done some huge work on new events, NPC dialogues, conditions, and AIs.
So I think my plan will be something like:
1. Write some main storyline for greelight trailer.
2. Draw all the minimum reqired art for the greenlight trailer.
3. Create all the events for the story.
4. Add a feature that allows the players to reset(recreate) the server from within the game.
5. Record the trailer for greenlight.
6. Put it out there.
7. Ask everyone to vote for it.
8. Hope for the best.
9. 10. 11. etc. Depends if I pass the greenlight.

Hak86 wrote:I know this is an old post (Page 7 OMG), but I am wanting to make a mod for Tachyon which gets the continue.sav file from FTL and converts it into a ship in Tachyon. But I am not sure how I am going to be able to make this mod and this quote was about the most relevant post I could find. :|

First of all - I'm glad to see the first post that has intention of making a mod for Tachyon :)
But I think it would be very hard to achieve this. Not only that you would have to create a ship model, you would also need a proper sized image(Image size is diferent then that in FTL). But the hardest thing would be probably the need to create all the system models. and they need images too, etc, etc...
Overall, I agree with Jrb - Doable but not easy.
I would even say - extremly not easy.

The_Bear wrote:We are preparing for the boss battle now, come online if you want to join.

So how did it go?
Did anyone do any recordings? :)

Micre wrote:Damn, im just so happy someone (& many other ppl) did something like this, just found out today & started reading whole topic

Welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

P.S.
Later I will post some details on the new things I've implemented.
Last edited by kcd.Spektor on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:
The_Bear wrote:We are preparing for the boss battle now, come online if you want to join.

So how did it go?
Did anyone do any recordings? :)

Bear and I recorded, but my recording was lost somehow (Bear's view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRn2Geyj6E). We had 4 ships ready but only 4 players came so we decided to use only the two battleships. We focused on the station which was a big mistake because there were too many platforms. One of the BS died after five minutes or so and that crew manned one of the cruisers. As soon as the cruiser joined the battle, the second battleship had to retreat and the cruiser died because it was alone. So that crew took the second cruiser and both ships jumped to the boss at the same time. We decided to focus on the platforms and everything went well. The boss died and BS+CR survived. The battle was much more difficult than last time because we didn't have enough crew.

We reverted to the backup before the battle and added a second host station. Unfortunately, Hak had to leave and we did not have enough players to man the two battleships. If you find at least two additional players, we can do that second battle. Because Bear is leaving for holidays tomorrow, that has to be within the next few hours.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:03 pm

It looks like there is a performance problem as long as somebody is at spawn. Might that be related to the number of players there? There are currently 107 offline players. The chat bot does not have such a big impact (cpu load: +10% vs. >+40% of a real player). Also note that there are 3.6 Mb/s sent between the server and the chat bot (going down to 1.4 Mb/s and sometimes 800 kb/s as soon as somebody else enters that sector and the server is overloaded).