[SHIP] Caatati Squadron

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rjcobourn

[SHIP] Caatati Squadron

Postby rjcobourn » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

Hello everyone! I'm back with my second ship mod! Like my first ship (http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29585) this mod is inspired by Star Trek: Voyager. In the Episode the crew encounters a weak single small ship that needs supplies. While Voyager gives them some supplies, the Caatati require more. Lo and behold, the Caatati return with 27 of these small ships. A long plot occurs after, but that does not really pertain to this mod. Essentially, you have three small ships that each have a few systems in them. You can have 1 weapon per ship, so you get 3 weapon slots. I will explain in more detail about specifics below:

Here is an overview of the mod:

Newest version-https://www.mediafire.com/?csxmo9kkxj3xne0

Starting Weapons:
2 LI-ON weapons (Laser-ION)-Ion blasts that have a 12 second cooldown and do 1 system damage (if they hit shields they will act like an ion blast)
1 Anti-bio Cannon-Takes up one power, has a 12 second cooldown, penetrates 1 shield and does 30 damage to crew. It also acts like a normal laser projectile so it can take down a layer of shields.

Picture in the Hangar:

More Lore:
Because the Caatati are a deceptive people, I decided to start you off with 3 slug crew. You also get the Slug Repair Gel augment to match. Additionally, the main part of the ships is spliced from a slug vessel.

More Info:
The image splicing was done by stylesrj, and he has provided me help on many occasions. In addition, he recently a mod called Drone Swarm (http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29604) inspired by me making this mod, so go check that out as well.

The first ship has some odd looking rooms in the back because without them the game was crashing. Other mods have spaces bigger between ships and they don't crash, so I still don't know what's wrong. Anyways, sorry that you have to deal with those odd rooms. Also, generally be careful while things are in the void between the ships. Definitely avoid saving while crew are between ships and make sure not to depower drones while they are walking in that "void".

Old Versions:
We are still on version 1 for now.

Video Playthroughs:
https://youtu.be/lzLu89gtjys - stylesrj

If you make a video of my mod, post it on this thread and I'll add you to the list!

Well, that is about it. Please provide feedback in the comments and I will make sure to update the mod based on that. Thanks for taking the time to look at my mod!
Last edited by rjcobourn on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] Caatati Squadron

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Hey I made a video of this ship, and I'm posting it on the thread: :lol:
https://youtu.be/lzLu89gtjys

Thanks for coming to the stream :)
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Nice!

I think I might have layed the rooms out a little differently - Maybe Piloting/Weapons/Engines being at the front of the 3 ships so that they each have 'pilot seats', and Shields/Doors/Sensors at the back of each ship, so you have 2 man-able stations per ship - but really that's just down to taste.

I do like the symmetry of it though - how each ship has a matching layout - and the weapons/starting stats seem pretty well balanced. Good work!
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. If you have anymore ideas for the ship then feel free to post them. I had imagined each person being on a different ship but I guess you would normally man engines before shields. To be honest, I probably am not going to switch around the layout simply because I don't think it makes enough of a difference to make an update warranted. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 am

True. Depends on the player, really, since they're both usefull defensive systems, but the default - out of the hangar positions are Pilot, Engines, Weapons, Shields... Having Pilot/Engines/Weapons as the three command rooms means each starts with their own captain, and I think a lot of people would stick with that just for the role playing aspect.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Convarcon

Postby Convarcon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 am

1st. This mod is awesome. I have had so much fun playing it.
2nd. I was wondering what program you used to splice the parts from the slug cruiser?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am

Convarcon wrote:1st. This mod is awesome. I have had so much fun playing it.
2nd. I was wondering what program you used to splice the parts from the slug cruiser?

I can answer Part 2 since I helped with the design.

I unpacked the FTL files (don't ask em how it's been a long time and you only need to do it once) and then just threw them together in GIMP, recolouring as needed. It's a mix of many small ships into a single design.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks for the comments Convarcon :) I really tried to make a balanced and interesting ship so I am glad you enjoyed it.