[WIP]Zweihander (first mod!)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SharkmanBriton

[WIP]Zweihander (first mod!)

Postby SharkmanBriton » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:59 am

The Zweihander
---------------------
(Screenshots may be of an outdated version, as of the second version, the weapons system has 3 power instead of 4.)

Features:
-No Oxygen (So no non-Lanius crew)
+Four Lanius crew
+Burst Laser II and Heavy Piercing
+Titanium System Plating (good to sell)
+Replaces Engi Cruiser B (the only way to make use of that hunk of junk!)
-No airlocks (They're useless anyway without Oxygen)

So this ship is my first working ship mod, and it's main gimmick is that crew is valuable, since getting more Lanius crew will be quite difficult and you can't have any race other than the Lanius on board (So no Engi repairing!).
But since it has no Oxygen, it is basically immune to fire and boarding parties, and if you can get the Crew Teleporter (a risky move since if one of your crew dies there's not much chance you'll get them back) you can go about draining the enemy of Oxygen. It has four crew so you're not entirely screwed if one dies, and it starts with an augment to sell and some good weapons). It has a different ship layout to the Lanius Cruisers' and since Doors and Sensors are quite far from the middle of the ship where the main systems are, paired with the Lanius' slow movement speed, repairing those subsystems can be a pain.

The whole "No non-Lanius crew" thing means you have to play quite differently, don't accept surrender from slavers, don't bother collecting the stranded Engi, and DO NOT risk your crew, because like I said, it's hard to get a replacement.

Video by stylesjr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35rPK6k8go&feature=youtu.be

DOWNLOAD BELOW

https://www.dropbox.com/s/puqseowj19f8pfe/zweihander.ftl?dl=0

Enjoy!

CREDITS:
elijahdb - Confirming that the original weapons loadout was OP.
stylesjr - Giving advice and making a video.
Last edited by SharkmanBriton on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
elijahdb

Re: [WIP]Zweihander (first mod!)

Postby elijahdb » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Nice mod!

I read your post and I can definitely say that yes, the weapons are OP. Here's some ideas for your weapon layout (these are just ideas on the top of my head, do whatever you wish)

Completely get rid of the Burst Laser
Bring it down to a Heavy Laser 1 (no shield piercing) and a simple Basic Laser
Or keep your original weapon layout but make the weapons system only able to hold three power.

And a heads up to you, if I played this mod in CE, SMPK or A Strange New Galaxy I could get Ghosts, and they don't need oxygen.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
SharkmanBriton

Postby SharkmanBriton » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:35 pm

elijahdb wrote:Nice mod!

I read your post and I can definitely say that yes, the weapons are OP. Here's some ideas for your weapon layout (these are just ideas on the top of my head, do whatever you wish)

Completely get rid of the Burst Laser
Bring it down to a Heavy Laser 1 (no shield piercing) and a simple Basic Laser
Or keep your original weapon layout but make the weapons system only able to hold three power.

And a heads up to you, if I played this mod in CE, SMPK or A Strange New Galaxy I could get Ghosts, and they don't need oxygen.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be tuning down the weapon system, and regarding ghosts, I'm okay with that, since the slight tone down in the gimmick is equalized by the RNG/difficulty of those mods.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Hmmm, I might give this ship a try. Although the way you're discouraging a boarding strategy makes me think this ship can't get a Clone Bay or something and you have to be extra careful.

But then again, boarding with a medbay isn't that risky as you might think considering the Carnelian is that but even harder to get replacements for.
SharkmanBriton

Postby SharkmanBriton » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 am

stylesrj wrote:Hmmm, I might give this ship a try. Although the way you're discouraging a boarding strategy makes me think this ship can't get a Clone Bay or something and you have to be extra careful.

But then again, boarding with a medbay isn't that risky as you might think considering the Carnelian is that but even harder to get replacements for.

By all means board if you want, you can get a Clone bay of course! If you decide to try this ship may I ask you give me some cool screens?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:56 am

I can probably do better with a video run.
Then you can get your cool screens from that.
SharkmanBriton

Postby SharkmanBriton » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:12 am

stylesrj wrote:I can probably do better with a video run.
Then you can get your cool screens from that.

Nice!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:21 am

But that'll come in a day or so... I've had a very busy weekend and there are plenty of FTL mods I have to try.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:42 am

Well, the ship handles just fine. In terms of effectiveness, it's just about as good as the Shrike as it has a good amount of starting firepower.
However, after an hour and a half flying this ship, I could not find a cloaking device nor could I find enough decent firepower (I only had 5 shots against the Flagship at the end)
My video run will be uploaded much later but it is sort of a slog near the end due to external factors and bad luck.
SharkmanBriton

Postby SharkmanBriton » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:06 pm

stylesrj wrote:Well, the ship handles just fine. In terms of effectiveness, it's just about as good as the Shrike as it has a good amount of starting firepower.
However, after an hour and a half flying this ship, I could not find a cloaking device nor could I find enough decent firepower (I only had 5 shots against the Flagship at the end)
My video run will be uploaded much later but it is sort of a slog near the end due to external factors and bad luck.

Cool, I'm working on some new mod ships that aren't as gimmicky as this. With some slightly customized sprites too!