[SHIP] Drone Swarm

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

[SHIP] Drone Swarm

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 am

There's not much to be said here. A bunch of combat drones and a Shield Drone and a Repair Drone got together and said "Let's form a fleet!"
They altered their parts so they could each supplement each other in a loose formation and they communicated via quantum entanglement.

Their goal? To go help the Federation as the Rebellion doesn't have any interest in a swarm of Combat Drones forming their own AI.

Their name? Well, of course it had to be LEGION.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mk17t ... arm_V2.ftl
(Replaces Engi A)

The gimmick is that each drone is a separate room, so it means boarding operations will be scattered and it also means repairs are more difficult. I used the Repair Bomb from my earlier work, the Lanius Trail which does damage to enemy crew and repairs 2 points of system damage.

The ship also starts with only 2 Drone parts and a Drone Recovery Arm so initial deployment of drones is limited. But it comes with a Mini Beam for offense and an Ion Drone for shield removal. A Defense Drone deals with missile strikes that might set something on fire and cause hull breaches.

Lastly, there's an Artillery available but only in Captain's Edition or other mods that enable artillery. It's a Glaive Beam but it can only go through one layer of shield and it's slightly shorter.

P.S
If the game crashes from crew events and you lack crew, there is a solution here by meklozz, Player AI ships crew loss crash fix

Special Thanks:
Sleeper Service for the Ion Drone image from Captain's Edition
Rjcobourn for inspiring the idea with his upcoming ship mod
Gencool for the Slug Gel Event Remover so you don't get to break truces in Captain's Edition.
Everyone else for seeing this and downloading and trying it out.

Video Runs:
Biohazard063 (Version 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmT7y6tTepA
Me (Version 2):
https://youtu.be/oxEXViavC3Y

Older Versions:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/93540 ... _Swarm.ftl
Last edited by stylesrj on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
rjcobourn

Re: [SHIP] Drone Swarm

Postby rjcobourn » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Fyi, You have in your post that it replaces Engi B but it actually replaces Engi A.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Also, having no crew creates a few problems... for example, if there is a quest that requires your crew to do something, the game will crash. Just to test it out, I attempted to control the crowds on a beacon. The game instantly froze and crashed. Not a big deal, just a warning to anyone who is downloading the mod.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 pm

rjcobourn wrote:Also, having no crew creates a few problems... for example, if there is a quest that requires your crew to do something, the game will crash. Just to test it out, I attempted to control the crowds on a beacon. The game instantly froze and crashed. Not a big deal, just a warning to anyone who is downloading the mod.

One of many issues with AI ships, luckily there is a fix.
May want to link to it.

So... there is no possible way to repair breaches? That can only end in a disaster... well, more like frustration.
Slug gel might be a requirement. (Don't forget to account for it in combination with CE though.)

In regards to the name : I see what you did there. 8-)
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:14 pm

So... there is no possible way to repair breaches? That can only end in a disaster... well, more like frustration.
Slug gel might be a requirement. (Don't forget to account for it in combination with CE though.)

Well so long as Weapons doesn't get breached and constantly bombarded by enemy fire, you should be fine. Because the Neutron Bomb can fix it up, although you do have to manually repower the system as the game doesn't do that to breached, repaired systems automatically.
Either that or get three Lanius. I think the third one spawns in Weapons.

I didn't want to put Slug Repair Gel in because... I'll go put it in for V2.
Hell, I could have the ship break truces and stuff making sense (even though there is a fix that I can implement as well) because they're a bunch of drones who have no idea what honour is yet... it could use such an overpowered ability due to the gimmick I guess.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 am

Ok, so Version 2 is up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mk17t ... arm_V2.ftl

Changes:
You now have Slug Repair Gel and a bunch of events so you can't use it to break truces.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:25 am

And now a video run of my swarm of drones:
https://youtu.be/oxEXViavC3Y
GianTell

Postby GianTell » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:55 pm

I tried it with CE and some of the crew events best avoided/ignored when encountered :D
My first playthrough I'm just lucky finding 2 Heavy II and 1 Ion Blast III before reaching 4th sector, pretty much killing everything easily~ (except the ones with anti-drone drones)
Also, since the 'ship' kinda pixelated, I tried making one (just from the drone's images) to replace just for more crisp visual:

If only there are abit bigger resolution for the drones... (the original one is crisp but too small to put a room on top of it)
I hope you don't mind xD I also changed the room positions to match it.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:46 pm

I would have used the original drone sizes themselves but you're right, they are too small to hold a room, so I changed it to be slightly bigger, regardless of the pixellation.

But I'm glad you're enjoying the mod so far.
theo2003

Postby theo2003 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Doesn't seem to work with CE. Error when installing. Here's the error log:

Code: Select all

WARN  ModPatchThread - Modded file's case doesn't match existing path: "data/dlc
blueprints.xml" vs "data/dlcBlueprints.xml"
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/ship/drones/de_drone_ion_1_b
ase.png
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/ship/drones/de_drone_ion_1_c
harged.png
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/ship/drones/de_drone_ion_1_e
ngine.png
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/ship/drones/de_drone_ion_1_o
n.png
ERROR ModPatchThread - Patching failed.
java.io.IOException: Cannot repack datfile with overlapping entries ("img/ship/d
rones/de_drone_ion_1_base.png" and "img/ship/drones")
        at net.vhati.ftldat.PkgPack.repack(PkgPack.java:756)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.patch(ModPatchThread.java:42
6)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.run(ModPatchThread.java:92)

The only mods I'm using are CE 1.308 and Drone Swarm V2.
EDIT: load order is CE Resource Pack 1.308 + FTL Captains Edition 1.308 + Drone Swarm V2