Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Come to think of it, the second worst run I ever had involved the Carnelian. Asteroid field, Crystal Vengeance, all my crew on the enemy ship. Fill in the blanks

First jump, solar flare, auto ship, mind control.
Restart, try again. First jump, solar flare, Zoltan-shielded ship, mind control.

Wouldn't say it's my worst run but I'd rather restart than take a lot of damage and fires for no loot gains.
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

stylesrj wrote:
First jump, solar flare, auto ship, mind control.
Restart, try again. First jump, solar flare, Zoltan-shielded ship, mind control.

Wouldn't say it's my worst run but I'd rather restart than take a lot of damage and fires for no loot gains.

Maybe there should be a 'What's the worst luck you've ever had thread'! I tend to get luckier with awful cruisers, and screwed by RNG when I take a better ship. I think the Shrike is falling into that second category. I recently tried again using someone's shield advice, and I got much further than usual. That was until Mantis Bomber with missiles blows up the Clonebay, hacks my Mind Control and Boarders destroy the weapons :evil:

Man, my luck is awful. (Just to put this into perspective, I was playing monopoly, and I needed anything but a 2 or a 4. That's an 8/9 chance, right? Nope. Roll a 4 and end up on Mayfair with a hotel. Fml)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 11, 2016 12:27 pm

My luck in FTL is so bad, it's infectious towards other games.
Maybe it's payback for all the save-scumming I did in X-COM (all games from classic to modern) though...
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:25 am

stylesrj wrote:My luck in FTL is so bad, it's infectious towards other games.
Maybe it's payback for all the save-scumming I did in X-COM (all games from classic to modern) though...

Save scumming the X-COM series? "You are a horrible person. That's what it says. A horrible person. We weren't even testing for that!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 am

Tetragon213 wrote:
Save scumming the X-COM series? "You are a horrible person. That's what it says. A horrible person. We weren't even testing for that!"

Yes, because I care about the lives of my soldiers. I'm such a horrible person. So very horrible. That's what it says on the form. "A horrible person who is so horrible that when they die, they shall not be mourned. Shall not be mourned." Very formal. Very official. It also says I'm adopted so that's even extra horrible.

But I've had better luck with the Shrike than the Red-Tail and I like the 4-laser combo of doom!
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:09 pm

stylesrj wrote:Yes, because I care about the lives of my soldiers. I'm such a horrible person. So very horrible. That's what it says on the form. "A horrible person who is so horrible that when they die, they shall not be mourned. Shall not be mourned." Very formal. Very official. It also says I'm adopted so that's even extra horrible.

But I've had better luck with the Shrike than the Red-Tail and I like the 4-laser combo of doom!

I dunno, I prefer to play without using save-abuse etc. I will say, I have better luck on the bad cruisers than the good ones. The Red-Tail is the only guaranteed win ship for me. My Shrike luck is pretty bad, although I did finally get beat the game on hard with it! :o
I got an engi from a slaver in the first few jumps, then some surrenders with nice drones and augments to sell. It's also the first run where I got a Zoltan Shield on this ship. And to top it all off, a great weapon combo! (Adv. Flak, Burst Laser 2, Pegasus Missile and the Pike Beam)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 12, 2016 10:17 pm

I never save-scum FTL. If I die, it's either the first 10 minutes of a typical game or at the Last Stand, usually to the Flagship. I only lose an hour of progress either way. Other games are if you lose, you've lost your whole day because there's little chance to recover after losing your best team, especially if you've groomed their stats or something.

So I'm actually torn between between the Bulwark or the Kestrel being the worst ships in the game.

Bulwark because... missiles and requiring too much luck to get a decent gun (you're more likely to find crew than guns)
Kestrel because, honestly I haven't gone back to it in a long time and I don't want to. It might be reliable and has decent stuff but there are other ships out there. It's also the first ship to be replaced in mods (because everyone has the Kestrel. Not everyone has the Slug C)

Unstealth C comes in close as well but that one requires skill to use properly. Bulwark is "Hope to Meyneth that it gets a better gun soon!"
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:09 pm

I've written my worst 5 earlier on, although I can kind of strike the Shrike off the dishonourable mentions. Replacing it would have to be the Bulwark. It needs an explosive replicator quite badly :D
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Tetragon213 wrote:I've written my worst 5 earlier on, although I can kind of strike the Shrike off the dishonourable mentions. Replacing it would have to be the Bulwark. It needs an explosive replicator quite badly :D

But then it wouldn't be compatible with those one or two people who don't use Advanced Content! Therefore it must not have the AE augment that'd make it better.
Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 am

stylesrj wrote:
But then it wouldn't be compatible with those one or two people who don't use Advanced Content! Therefore it must not have the AE augment that'd make it better.

Damnit :?
Well, it could be worse. It could be the unstealth C!