[SHIP] The Druuge Mauler

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

[SHIP] The Druuge Mauler

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 am

You all remember the Druuge Mauler from Star Control 2? No? Well it's a big ship with a very powerful cannon. But the reactor is rather shoddy so it takes forever to charge up and fire.
But the cannon can charge even faster if you sacrifice one of your crew into the reactor.

I've tried to replicate the same thing in FTL with a powerful, high-damage cannon but in order to fire it, you must "sacrifice" one of your crew into the Weapon's Room. Also, the ship has a bad reactor and is staffed with Zoltan.

Here's how to sacrifice your crew in 4 easy steps:

Other features:
Guess which popular FPS with jetpacks I ripped the sounds of the guns firing from?
If the Mauler Cannon is taking forever, you can try and get some power into your Impact Blasters. They behave exactly like the Basic Laser except they're called cannons and look like missile launchers while they shoot stun ion bombs.
Also, if you don't want to sacrifice your crew but still want to use the Mauler, you can buy artillery in a store (if the mod supports it) and get another Mauler Cannon that doesn't require a crew sacrifice to use.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y422h ... uge_V2.ftl

Notes:
This is still a WIP but for the moment the ship will probably get you a decent start in Sector 1 as the guns are pretty potent. Lemme know how close this is to the Shrike Line in terms of how over/underpowered it is.
I might even actually make the ship look like the actual Mauler instead of the test hull I've used for many of a concept ship.

Old Versions:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ye5xo ... Druuge.ftl
Last edited by stylesrj on Sat May 28, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Srul

Re: [SHIP] The Druuge Mauler

Postby Srul » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:13 am

It needs more zoltans. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH ZOLTANS, SO, GET 22814881337 FUCKTONS OF THEM! I DON'T CARE THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:29 am

I just did a run with the ship and made a video (will upload later with a catchy jingle).
It was a most glorious ship and I would have reached the end if it wasn't for EVERYTHING being set on fire.

So y'know, standard FTL fare.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Because the video run gets quite long, I've split it into two parts and will post them piecemeal because why not?
Or at least Katatonik has. What? You'd think I'd fly such a thing?

So here's part 1 of the Druuge Mauler just to show off how it works and how awesome it can be.

https://youtu.be/se7j_VCl5Hw
Srul

Postby Srul » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:21 pm

First run on this ship.

Cool weapon here

Our glorious crew ready to liberate some fuckers

1 jump away from possible death

Boarding drone screwed everything up. No one to sacrifice too

YOLO'ing it

Pisos died. Not enough power to maintain the ship. THE END?

Everything is going ok

Still doing ok...

More stuff coming becaurse this is just sector 3. This ship is too weak and the run is very boring.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Srul wrote:First run on this ship.

ETC

More stuff coming becaurse this is just sector 3. This ship is too weak and the run is very boring.

Seriously? You sold the big, powerful gun that can go through all shields, do 5 points of damage and a hull breach on impact? Not only that, it's too fast for drones to shoot down (even the SMPK defence drones can't get a bead on it)

And now you're saying the ship is weak and boring? Gee I wonder why.
MikieRpg

Postby MikieRpg » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Lol i remember this, and the ugly sketches in the shipyard XD
Good to see you use it XD.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 pm

MikieRpg wrote:Lol i remember this, and the ugly sketches in the shipyard XD
Good to see you use it XD.

The ship was originally meant to be the Purity ship from Sid Meier's Starships.
Then I thought it didn't look right and threw it onto the shipyard hoping someone would do a better job.

I don't think the design really suits the Druuge aesthetic though so I might change the hull at some point.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 am

You accidentally left some red glows on your ship hull image. (Towards the top edge you can see some faint red spots. It's easy to see on this FTL Forum backdrop.)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:48 am

NarnKar wrote:You accidentally left some red glows on your ship hull image. (Towards the top edge you can see some faint red spots. It's easy to see on this FTL Forum backdrop.)

Looks like it indeed.
*checks book of excuses* It's a test hull! I'm gonna replace it with something else!
Yeah that'll do.