Large setback - R4V3-0N

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Large setback - R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 am

Well I had a rather ambitious goal of eventually adding dozens- maybe in the end hundred or so weapons to FTL: Faster than light.
I aimed to eventually incorporate that into 9 new ships and 1 redo based on the Engi as well as spin offs on many other ships such as one of the Federation cruisers in the background of the last stand and such...
I also eventually wanted to slowly add events up until I made an overhaul mod based on the Engi.

And I had many more ambitions and ideas for FTL. Rather it be picking up Foundation of the Federation and finishing that mod of that Whalecancer has started to things like simply changing the game back to it's early beta state.

However recently my personal computer has died and sadly had most of my resources there still. Majority of it being hundreds of hours of coding specifically and some hulls of ships I had in the WIP and such...
Luckily most of the images are uploaded online to Imgur so most of my weapon art is safe and some ship hauls (but not the gibs...). I have not checked into what is wrong with my computer but one thing is for certain is that it won't turn on. I may have to hire a professional to examine it and rather fix it or recover the data...

however ranging from my image editing software... my preferred coding software... etc. I do not have anything. (nor am I allowed to download all these things or even FTL itself as I do not even have a private computer at the moment to work on).
I am sorry for those who were waiting forever for the update to GO BALLISTIC! ballistic weapons pack, the upcoming Rave on! energy weapon pack, the fleet federation cruiser, fixes for the federation defender. etc... but it will take a lot more time for me to progress.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
fdagpigj

Re: Large setback - R4V3-0N

Postby fdagpigj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Ouch. This is why you always make backups if you've invested hundreds of hours into something rather sooner than later. But, by the sounds of it you don't know what's wrong with your PC and it could be any component. So, there's still hope your data is intact. There are a few easy ways to find out, however you'll need a computer.

Method A: Remove the hard drive from your old computer, and transfer it over to another PC. If it's a 3.5" drive, you'll need a desktop computer, but if it's a 2.5" drive you can use either a laptop or a desktop. Replace whatever hard drive was in the other computer with your one and attempt to boot up the computer. If your OS boots and you can use the computer like normal, congratulations, your hard drive is in perfect shape, it was some other component of your PC which gave up.

Method B: Create a live linux usb (you'll need an (empty) usb stick at least 4GB in size, preferrably larger, and you'll need another computer with usb port, and ideally that other computer should have some form of Linux installed to which you have sudo access, though I think there are some ways to do this from a Windows computer as well) and plug it into your computer, then try to boot and if you can get into BIOS and boot options you can choose to boot from the usb instead of from the hard drive. Then once you're in Linux you can (hopefully) mount the hard drive and access the data, if it's still there, then congratulations, your data is not entirely lost yet and you should back up as much as you can of it online (or on a second usb stick) now because your hard drive cannot boot anymore and you'll probably want to format it and install a new OS.

Method C: If you have a working computer, get the hard drive from it and plug it into your computer in place of your old hard drive. If it boots, the problem is in your hard drive. If your PC can fit two hard drives at once, you can connect both hard drives and boot the other one, if not you can boot the other one and connect your old one with an external hard drive reader or use Method B. Then you can see if you can still access the data even though you might no longer be able to boot into your OS. If your computer doesn't boot with the other hard drive in the first place, then it's still possible your old hard drive is entirely intact.

Hopefully it's not completely screwed up yet, and hopefully you can get access to another computer soon so you can try fix it.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:54 pm

fdagpigj wrote:ideally that other computer should have some form of Linux installed to which you have sudo access, though I think there are some ways to do this from a Windows computer as well)

I believe there is a program called Universal USB Installer that can do it on Windows.
If you have a rooted android phone, there is also something called DroidDrive, but I never used it.

And it doesn't have to be USB, cd's work fine I think. You could even order them online for free/shipping cost once upon a time, not sure if that's still happening.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:23 pm

meklozz wrote:And it doesn't have to be USB, cd's work fine I think.

Of course CDs work just fine (probably faster, actually) but that requires you to have a CD drive on both computers, and nowadays I think they're slowly starting to become less common. Plus you'll need an empty CD, which I would expect fewer people to have handy than a flash drive. But of course, it is an option, in case it's more convenient for you.
assistancerobot

Postby assistancerobot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:26 pm

meklozz wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:ideally that other computer should have some form of Linux installed to which you have sudo access, though I think there are some ways to do this from a Windows computer as well)

I believe there is a program called Universal USB Installer that can do it on Windows.
If you have a rooted android phone, there is also something called DroidDrive, but I never used it.

And it doesn't have to be USB, cd's work fine I think. You could even order them online for free/shipping cost once upon a time, not sure if that's still happening.

R4V3-0N should probably not root his/her phone , but call a certified PC technician
also , I am very sad to hear that all this modding work is lost.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Yeah, I have tons of old linux CD lying around, so it's probably a bit of a different perspective. Just letting them know about an option, burning a CD can be a bit simpler than making a USB bootable, probably cheaper if you don't have a free USB stick, too. It's good to keep a thing like that around, with a pendrive you're more likely to overwrite it with something when you need it.

And I'm certainly not recommending rooting a phone for it (without a working computer, at that), but many people have it already. Well, some people.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:11 pm

huh, funny. I could have sworn I left a message yesterday here but it didn't go through. no matter...

I will pretend I have mentioned how I do have CD's, a CD reader, and even floppy readers (external, friend made it for me) and spare floppies if I want to take several years to test things out. As well as how I am not the best technical person.
Family friend is looking at it who have computer experience and with my analysis and observations with his know-how we narrowed it down to this

It's mostly related to the power suply. The big bulk of the cable for the power supply has a large clump with some safety stuff and things to prevent energy surges/ spikes/ what ever damaging the PC as well as keeping things consistent (I believe using a system of capacitors and resisters) is a bit broken. after I unpluged my PC to get it transported I noticed that big boxy shape on the cable was very warm. Odd since the PC itself was not on.

After testing with other cables we also learned the PC behaved weirdly. it pretends it's on but as soon as anything is done to the computer it is back to turning off. So atm the idea is that power supply is the problem
(also the old cable is not showing good marks for conductivity with a lil test on a circuit with that thingy magiger used to test conductivity of a circuit)

This strongly implies the data on the pc is safe. worst case situation I can extract it no problem and could throw the PC away but with a 2.7 TB left of space on it it's a bit of a shame to throw it away right now. Even though the graphics card adn well everything else is rather sad.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.