[Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v08]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v07!?]

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 pm

As you remember from your test stream, I took the Aquilifer for a test drive. If you were at all curious of how it turned out, here you go.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 pm

This time, it's the Radithor. I'm just uploading the images now so I can go cry in a corner. Then maybe some Shrike therapy. This ship is so evil the game even refuses to restart when you finish (see for yourself!).

http://imgur.com/a/4m4IN

There are some Stowbud pictures at the end there, a very fun ship. It's awesome while letting you pick how you want to play. The Radithor tells you: that's how you play. Oh, you don't wanna? How about I have half your zoltans die at the next jump? Gonna do what I say NOW? YEAH? I'm sorry this ship is just so mind-bending. What do I upgrade here, exactly? What do I hack? Will this weird boarding even work? Can I afford this? Gaah. And why exactly are these weapons refusing to work against the flagships cloak and evasion? I'm not about to die right at the end because I couldn't outfit it with something I can actually control without going crazy, am I? (they worked eventually)
There it goes tempting me with backup batteries and sensors when I need to survive and get fuel and stuff!

Really, this was so different and incredible, but I don't think I can play any more of your micromanage-y ships for a while.

PS. As if that weren't enough, its going to haunt me from the top scores page now. Go away!

PPS. I think I've actually encountered this restart button thing before and it was something silly an totally my fault, but I just cannot remember what..
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:33 am

Slow:
Ahha! Awesome! Was actually quite tense!
I love the intro and outro of your video, by the way; reminds me of the 90s somehow.

Was a pretty fun battle, from the looks of it! Hope the rest of the run was that good.

Mekz:

Hoh, boy, I turn my back for a day and come back to all this!

Radi~
The lack of restart is 100% intentional; restarting with more than one artillery system deletes the extra ones.

Which is also why the ship is so 'locked down'; the ships' 3 artilleries all count as extra systems, so it technically starts with 9, minimum.
For any chance of being able to upgrade the ship, I had to pre-install the additional systems.
When hacking and cloaking are both active, you've got 12 systems to play with!
As for why Hacking and Cloaking; Mind Control weirdly doesn't work with the halving hack, and Drones mess up when you don't have Weapons.

A future update's gonna make Battery actually purchasable. That was a stupid oversight.

Did you enjoy it though? Even if it ruined you?

Stow~
Glad you like it!

I see you've resorted to what I like to call 'The Francis Strategy' by the end. It really is the only way to deal with boarders.

The concept on that ship's probably the broadest one in the pack; just- Half the ship is inaccessible.
That probably leaves it way more open to other play-styles.

Aquil~
Yeah, I might remove the Medbay thing, or limit it. Never considered the shared levels thing...
For reference; levels 4 and 5 definitely heal faster. Never pushed it further, but I think instant healing would be around level 8.

I think I might put the weapons back up to 2 power each. It seems WAY to powerful on just 1, and they require less power juggling, which is what the ship's all about.
But then, equally, I want to stop players trading out the weapons, as they're part of the concept. If I can get the game to stop giving you other weapons, while still having enemy ships use them, we'll be golden.

I *do* have a habit of using artils to stuff system slots, but there's actually reason on this one; The ship's systems are meant to mirror the power-surges of the flagship (zoltan shields, boarders, drones, laser barrage)

I'm still considering turning it into an autoship, for the same reason.
Also considering (maybe for an alternate version) limiting the reactor to 5 (I realise this would make the flagship almost impossible, but might make everything else more interesting).

Yeah, pretty much all of this is just me pushing the limits and seeing what's possible. I got a bit overzealous; the clonebay was originally gonna be locked off too, but I realised how stupid that was about five seconds after having finished all the code for it.

I wasn't aiming for a difficulty in particular; all of these are just for fun/interest.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:56 am

Wait, you can't get the battery on the Radithor? I'm pretty sure I saw it, I didn't actually try, didn't really have the scrap. And yes, definitely enjoyed it. It takes power management to a whole new level. I only really figured it right after I sent over my zoltans after forgetting to have power for the clonebay -.- (my fault, I know, but it made me do it)
Talk about frantically ending the fight so I can buy power! (by the way, for not giving up right there, I want a cookie!)

The Emergency Respirators on the Stowbud were a little bit of an accident. Saw the augment earlier but couldn't afford it, so i skipped it - my strategy for boarding was actually hacking teleports if necessary, but it wasn't needed that much. Then I found them for free.

For the Aquilifer, I guess that you can go any way if you don't want any specific difficulty. It is very weird at the moment in that respect, with boarding being very strong, but no hacking or cloaking to hold off the damage, so you have to spend on weapons instead.
I have not played the earlier version, but I think if giving the weapons higher power costs meant getting more power in general, it would make it easier - juggling defense was probably the hardest part towards the very end. It would also encourage other weapons, like you say (I actually threw out the swarm for a small bomb, too).
I think getting rid of weapon drops should be doable, IIRC enemy weapon generation is from lists while players and stores from rarity. Then again, weird things may happen if you set everything to zero, especially with events that specifically give a weapon reward or just a specific weapon.

I really like the idea of having so many drones. In tandem with the awkward weapons, it didn't feel that overpowered.

Which reminds me, while I mostly thought that the Stowbud felt like a normal ship with a twist, I noticed it had a large number of drone parts to start with. It's true that dealing with boarders might drain your resources, but it still seemed like a very high amount. I picked up an early DDI, and it wasn't very hard after that (largely why I ended up with a Vulcan, my defenses were so beefed up).
Maybe I should try to play it again without, repairing and managing the middle of the ship might become very different.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Wait, can the Aquilfier get blown up twice without dying like the Flagship? Cuz if so... cool.

I doubt it, but if you somehow did that...

How would one do that?

I don't know...
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:31 pm

you cant do that
Gencool

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v08]

Postby Gencool » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57 am

Sorry, Brax, TheBoss is right on this one.

That said, I've just updated the aquillifer again - I managed to get the weapon loadout locked how I wanted it (all other weapons are replaced with 'trading supplies')
ImageImageImage
SalmonGin

Postby SalmonGin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 am

Hey, awesome ships! I just started playing FTL again and haven't tried many mods except CE and Flagship Randomizer, which are great, but I think I prefer smaller mods.

Actually, for my first run I happened to choose your newest version of the Aquilifer. After a few failed attempts I'm in sector 3 now and it's going pretty alright so far. Just a question since I'm rather new to this: the teleport system is perma-blocked on level 1, but will it be usable on higher levels or is upgrading a waste of scrap?

Thanks for the mods! Looking forward to playing the other ones as well.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Glad you like it!

The Teleporter's level is halved, same as the Clonebay. Level 2 gives you acces to 1 power bar, level 4 gives you two powerbars, etc.
It works out to the same cost overall.

The reason for this is that I wanted the ship's loadout to be locked, with everything available from the start, but where upgrades are still possible and necessary.

I know there's some updates that need doing to the ships, but I lost my notes on what needs what. Let me know if you come across anything ^^
ImageImageImage
SalmonGin

Postby SalmonGin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Gencool wrote:Glad you like it!

The Teleporter's level is halved, same as the Clonebay. Level 2 gives you acces to 1 power bar, level 4 gives you two powerbars, etc.
It works out to the same cost overall.

The reason for this is that I wanted the ship's loadout to be locked, with everything available from the start, but where upgrades are still possible and necessary.

I know there's some updates that need doing to the ships, but I lost my notes on what needs what. Let me know if you come across anything ^^

Ah, perfect, thanks. :D You probably mentioned that somewhere, but I didn't notice it. I actually dared upgrading the teleporter before you posted this.

Definitely interesting gameplay with those locked weapons and systems, I liked it! The balancing so far seemed pretty good to me, I had a few great FTL moments in this run. I made it to phase 3 of the flagship, but they tore me apart violently. Too bad ._. maybe next time with a different ship from your collection.