Flagship Power Surge

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
McSqueeb

Flagship Power Surge

Postby McSqueeb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:16 pm

I am not sure if this is a bug or not as it's quite obvious, but seems like a game breaking fault in the Flagship fight that. During my most recent play, I had a strong ship capable of defeating the Flagship. I was able to destroy Phase 1 without taking damage and moved on to Phase 2 confidently. My strategy was to take out his missiles, and drone control as I knew my max shields would protect me from the lasers. This plan worked for a couple minutes until I was greeted by the "POWER SURGE" alert. At this point, I was berated by a barrage of missiles and drones which took me down to about half health. This occurred while the Flagship still had destroyed missile and drone batteries (one of which was breached).

Obviously, this lead to my defeat, and I want to see if anyone else has experienced this or if it is supposed to happen during the Flagship fight?

Thanks, and fly safe.
mqstout

Re: Flagship Power Surge

Postby mqstout » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Not a bug. The drone control room does control the "normal" drones that are out there, but the surge drones are their own special "boss thing" that can't be disabled.
McSqueeb

Postby McSqueeb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Well... that's annoying. Was looking forward to a more tactical Flagship fight instead of a "Boss Fight".

Thanks for the info.
wolkenwand

Postby wolkenwand » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 am

Actually "power surge" is explainable, all you need is a little imagination :P :
I like to think that the eagle symbol in middle of flagship is alien power core, the rebel found this core just before the game started and they put this core in their flagship to power it. The flagship is too enormous for known powercore to power it so the federation cannot build the same ship to outmatch them. As a result rebel manage to wipe most of federation forces with ease.
This alien core primary function is to power up the ship, then any power left by this core used to turn on one of flagship special system ( the ship must choose only one of this, because there are not enough energy left at power core ):
1. cloaking, the ship too big so it need big energy ( first form )
2. firing multiple gun simultaneously ( second form )
3. activate lots of drone at the same time ( third form )

And this "power surge" is the key to rebel victory, the federation didn't expect this "Boss Thing" so they lost a lot of ship and systems.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 am

The surge doesn't effect his missiles, it just adds a bunch of extra anti-ship and beam drones.

In any case, with high evasion the power surge is perfectly survivable.

Btw, taking out the drone system will disable the 2 beam drones that are always active, the defense drone, and the boarding drones.
McSqueeb

Postby McSqueeb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 am

wolkenwand wrote:Actually "power surge" is explainable, all you need is a little imagination :P :
I like to think that the eagle symbol in middle of flagship is alien power core, the rebel found this core just before the game started and they put this core in their flagship to power it. The flagship is too enormous for known powercore to power it so the federation cannot build the same ship to outmatch them. As a result rebel manage to wipe most of federation forces with ease.
This alien core primary function is to power up the ship, then any power left by this core used to turn on one of flagship special system ( the ship must choose only one of this, because there are not enough energy left at power core ):
1. cloaking, the ship too big so it need big energy ( first form )
2. firing multiple gun simultaneously ( second form )
3. activate lots of drone at the same time ( third form )

And this "power surge" is the key to rebel victory, the federation didn't expect this "Boss Thing" so they lost a lot of ship and systems.

I can appreciate his explanation for the use of power, however it doesn't really explain how the core can fully fix a system that's been destroyed. Unless we just tie it all up with a "super secret alien thing does magical alien type stuff" excuse.

Not saying it doesn't add an interesting and challenging dynamic to the final boss, I'm only saying it doesn't behave in the same reality that the other ships in the game do.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am

McSqueeb wrote:... it doesn't behave in the same reality that the other ships in the game do.

Hell no. The boss cheats. :D
Other ships merely throw everything at you, but the final challenge was designed to certainly destroy you. When first facing it, you probably don't know that it comes back. Twice. And what sort of special power it has. It takes a highly upgraded and properly armed crusier to stand up to the boss. Even a ship that can destroy anything else can still fail.

BTW, a cloaking device timed just right will offer huge protection against the Power Surges.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
McSqueeb

Postby McSqueeb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am

UltraMantis wrote:
McSqueeb wrote:... it doesn't behave in the same reality that the other ships in the game do.

Hell no. The boss cheats. :D

From the get-go I should have known better than to expect the Rebels to fight fairly or with any honor. Scumbags.
snubsun

Postby snubsun » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am

You can only survive during the power surge using cloaking