Is the "boarding objective successful" achievement bugged?

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Number43

Is the "boarding objective successful" achievement bugged?

Postby Number43 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm

I twice was confident I met the requirement for this but I didn't get it. Has anyone else gotten it, or is there some unexpected restriction. I was assuming the drone only has to deal the last blow, but do you have to avoid other sources of damage too?
HSalgo

Re: Is the "boarding objective successful" achievement bugge

Postby HSalgo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I have run into this problem too. I've reported the bug, but I got no response; I assume other people are facing the same difficulty. (That being said, I got a quick response to one of my previous glitches, so, not sure.)

If you find a solution, please pass the word!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll look into it and see if there's a problem.

Sorry if I missed your report HSalgo, sometimes things slip through the cracks when there's only one person to track things :(
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Killerko

Postby Killerko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:51 am

I can confirm that something is wrong with "Boarding objective successful" as I killed 4 emeny crew twice in one run and it did not count. No suffocation and no fire in the room.

Proof video here: http://www.twitch.tv/killerkouk/b/340911999

first attempt starts from 1:50:00 to 1:54:00
second attempt starts from 2:05:00 to 2:08:00

as you can see there is enough o2 and no fire in the room where my drone shoots them. So no suffocation or fire dmg.
in the second attempt 2 of them briefly board my ship but get back for the drone to kill all 4.

so something definitely not all right with this achievement.. as long as it means "to deliver finishing blow with your drone" and does not mean something like "kill them at full health with your drone" which is pretty much impossible even with 4 zoltans.

(you can also see at 3:45:54 that I dont have that achievement yet so it should give me credit for it)
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 am

I believe it should give credit even if they die from suffocation as long as they are currently fighting a boarding drone. You're right that something definitely seems to be wrong. It's on my list of things to fix for the next patch. Thanks for the detailed documenting, makes it easier :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
HSalgo

Postby HSalgo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:26 am

TL;DR: Send boarding drone in FIRST.

OKAY. I save scummed to figure out the exact triggers for the achievement (sorry). I have a number of saved screenshots that might be able to elucidate the situation. I think it's just a bug with the programming of the achievement. For reference, I used Crystal Ship Type B (with four-man Teleporter), against a Rebel Rigger with no Medbay.
1) FAILURE: Boarded with boarders first. Once enemies are softened up, I send the boarding drone in. The drone kills all four members. The achievement does NOT trigger.
2) TO CONFIRM: Did NOT use boarders. Softened enemy up with missiles (I didn't have a fire beam or system bomb--sold them like an idiot.) Sent in boarding drone, who killed three, but one was left with 8 HP. This one MAY trigger the achievement, not sure.
3) SUCCESS!: SEND BOARDING DRONE IN FIRST, WITH BOARDERS AFTER. Teleport out before you kill anyone by accident. Let the boarding drone do its magic.

Hope this clears things up. Also: I'm not getting messages about when this thread is updated--do you happen to know how I can have that happen?
HSalgo

Postby HSalgo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 am

Killerko wrote:I can confirm that something is wrong with "Boarding objective successful" as I killed 4 emeny crew twice in one run and it did not count. No suffocation and no fire in the room.

Proof video here: http://www.twitch.tv/killerkouk/b/340911999

first attempt starts from 1:50:00 to 1:54:00
second attempt starts from 2:05:00 to 2:08:00

I watched your video, killerkouk (or, okay, just the parts with the attempts), and in both cases, you send your Rockmen in first. As I said in the post I just put up now, for some reason, the achievement only activates if you send in your Drone FIRST.

I have a feeling if the achievement only activates if the Boarding Drone is the first thing to hit the ship. No idea why, but that would explain Matt's belief that the achievement should activate even if they suffocate.

I hope this helps!
RobXaos

Postby RobXaos » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 am

To add some additional information to this matter:

I have also experienced the same as others with failing to get the achievement having killed 4 crew with a single drone, which is what brought me to this thread. I then began persuing the achievement following the workaround suggested by HSalgo.

I then experienced a totally different bug associated with this achievement, which was to be awarded it when it was absolutely certain that the requirements were NOT met.

Unfortunately I do not have any video or other supporting documentation, but I can fairly accurately describe the circumstances:

Game was with the 'Basilisk', I was still in Sector 1 and had only minor upgrades to the ship (1 additional point in Teleporter and 1 point in Medbay). I engaged in combat with a Rock Scout that had 2 crew. The Rock Scout had a Medbay and a Missile so initially I put up the Defensive Drone and just sent in the two Mantis to hassle the enemy crew while I waited for the ship to run out of missiles. Because of the enemy Medbay I did not manage to kill any of their crew initially despite numerous attempts with me retrieving my crew, healing them up and sending them back in.

After the enemy missile supply was depleted I switched power to the Boarding Drone and sent it in. At this time my crew were healing up in my Medbay. I then sent them over and after a bit more back and forth managed to distroy their O2 and Medbay with the Boarding Drone smashing up their Engine (its original boarding point), Shields and Piloting. During this period the Boarding Drone killed the Human crew member.

Finally, having narrowly avoided the death of my own crew on their ship because of depleted O2 while waiting for my Teleporter to recycle the Boarding Drone killed the final Mantis crew member. Quite inexplicably I was granted the achievement.

To confirm: this was a ship that started with ONLY 2 (TWO) CREW.

So it seems there is something a bit more broken with how this achievement is coded than not awarding it when conditions ARE met.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am

In my recent experience, the BOARDING OBJECTIVE SUCCESSFUL achievement still seems to be buggy. In a run to get this achievement, I twice boarded a ship with my crew and softened up the enemy crew, then teleported back and let the boarding drone finish the task - no achievement. In a third attempt (I went through 19 crew members this run!), I also first sent in my crew, teleported the survivors back and then I waited for the teleporter to recycle completely, and only then did I send the boarding drone to finish - hurray, achievement!

So to add to HSalgo's previous conclusions (boarding drone must be first on the enemy ship): you actually can send in your own crew first to pummel the enemy crew, but you have to wait for the teleporter to recycle completely before sending your boarding drone over.
Quazimortal

Postby Quazimortal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 am

I've been trying to get this achievement today and I'm completely frustrated right now. I've met the requirements at least 3 times that I'm sure of and I still haven't gotten it yet.

In the first attempt I weakened the enemy crew down with laser shots so that my boarding drone could kill all 4 without dying. When it successfully killed 4, with absolutely zero asphyxiation damage, and I didn't get it I figured the active cloning bay was the reason it didn't work.

The next 2 times I successfully had my boarding drone kill 4 enemy crew there was no med bay or cloning bay and I still didn't get the achievement. These two times I used mind control in addition to laser shots to weaken the enemy crew. Not a single enemy crew died while the mind control was active though as far as I could tell.

Edit: So just after posting this I ran into a rebel ship with 5 crew and a cloning bay. I weakened the weapon system with my lasers, sent 1 boarding drone over which got killed, then sent a 2nd boarding drone which was able to kill all 5 crew by itself, and of course I disabled the cloning bay with my lasers. Clearly something is wrong here, either a bug in the game or I'm not understanding the achievement correctly.