Just Lost My Entire Save

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Agent_L

Re: Just Lost My Entire Save

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm

The loss of a file is something that can always happen when you're writing to it.
It doesn't matter if it's FTL, Microsoft Word or Fissionator 1952 Manager. Or is it application crash or sudden power loss.

Now playing: Celine Dion "That's the way it is".
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Agent_L wrote:The loss of a file is something that can always happen when you're writing to it.
It doesn't matter if it's FTL, Microsoft Word or Fissionator 1952 Manager. Or is it application crash or sudden power loss.

Now playing: Celine Dion "That's the way it is".

You know MS Word keeps backup files for exactly this reason, right? "Microsoft Office has crashed. The following files have been recovered..." It's not at all hard to do.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:You know MS Word keeps backup files for exactly this reason, right? "Microsoft Office has crashed. The following files have been recovered..." It's not at all hard to do.

This functionality is implemented in MS Word precisely because it is expected to crash.
FTL on the other hand is rock-solid in most cases. Such events as yours are simply too infrequent for implementing crash recovery feature to be economically feasible.

In the other words: you are one unlucky b***d.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!